Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-19-2016, 11:37 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
Just don't forget to cancel the turn signals.

I am looking for a dark horse Springfield if they come out with one.
I think the new ones have self cancelling turn signals.

I actually did a couple of demo rides yesterday. One on the RM and one on the Springfield.

We were told the turn signals were self-cancelling but I did not actually use that feature so I'm not 100% sure.

THE PROS: The RM had some good features like key fob, remote locking storage, CC, ABS, brakes seemed good, floorboards were big & roomy. Fit and finish seemed good. Liked the RM power windshield. No buffeting on the RM. Slow speed handling was not bad.
I preferred the Springfield, probably because it was lighter.

THE CONS: The important stuff did not check my boxes.
Both had noticeable vibration, both lacked great passing & merging power, RM had hot engine in only 65 degree weather, RM felt bulky and a little cramped (knees higher than preferred). Both stock seats would need to be replaced. Buffeting on Springfield. Throttle response was a bit disconnected on both.

The factory demo days are fun events. I try to do as many as I can.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2016, 03:24 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post

I actually did a couple of demo rides yesterday. One on the RM and one on the Springfield.

We were told the turn signals were self-cancelling but I did not actually use that feature so I'm not 100% sure.

THE PROS: The RM had some good features like key fob, remote locking storage, CC, ABS, brakes seemed good, floorboards were big & roomy. Fit and finish seemed good. Liked the RM power windshield. No buffeting on the RM. Slow speed handling was not bad.

Both had noticeable vibration, both lacked great passing & merging power, RM had hot engine in only 65 degree weather, RM felt bulky and a little cramped (knees higher than preferred). Both stock seats would need to be replaced. Buffeting on Springfield. Throttle response was a bit disconnected on both.

you are just spoiled greg.riding sport tourers definitely shows you the shortcomings of cruisers when it comes to power.handling,braking and that
sort of thing.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 06-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #93
Top Contributor

Quote:

I don't know what bike you were riding, but for a 900+ lb bike that engine had power. When I took a test ride by myself it was impressive. Not sport touring speed but for a cruiser. I rode it on an 80+ degree day and you could feel the heat but the dealer showed me an attachment they put on to help with the heat. The RM is #1 on the list for a replacement.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-19-2016, 05:56 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
I don't know what bike you were riding, but for a 900+ lb bike that engine had power. When I took a test ride by myself it was impressive. Not sport touring speed but for a cruiser. I rode it on an 80+ degree day and you could feel the heat but the dealer showed me an attachment they put on to help with the heat. The RM is #1 on the list for a replacement.
It is all relative to what you are comparing it to Joel, and what is important to each of us .
I tend to choose function over form. Power, handling, comfort and reliability are most important to me. Features next. Looks are way down the list for me.

I'm comparing it to what I ride now. Which is natural .

But there are also 800 -900lb bikes that have significantly more power than the Roadmaster. The Wing and the BMW K 1600 in particular.

All of them, including the Indian, are nice bikes. Drilling it down to your number one choice depends on what is important to each of us.

I'm not one to say you have to compare apples to apples when it comes to bikes. The only thing that makes sense is to compare any bike that does what you want it to do. If you're going to use it mainly for long-distance touring then compare everything that tours well. So you might end up comparing a Super Tenere, FJR or R1200RT to a Wing, XCT Roadmaster, or K1600.

VBA #659

Last edited by schoeney; 06-19-2016 at 07:42 PM.

Old 06-19-2016, 06:45 PM   #95
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I know the classic cruiser position is much easier to do 8 hour rides than in the more sporting upright or slightly forward position. At least for me.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
I know the classic cruiser position is much easier to do 8 hour rides than in the more sporting upright or slightly forward position. At least for me.
I am not sure.

Like my Nomad, I had to "dial in" my ST. Risers and my Russell seat. Now I can do 800+ mile days if desired (not usually desired ). 800 mile days are tiring even if your butt does not hurt.

Probably not fair to compare my Nomad to my current ST configuration because I never made the investment of a Russell seat on my Nomad, but even before I got the Russell seat I was a lot less fatigued on the ST at the end of the riding day vs. the cruiser position.

But I also know that every body is just a little bit different in what they find comfortable.

Now that I have been riding my bike for 3 years I prefer the Sport Touring position. Less pressure on the tailbone and pretty neutral position with my risers. I like having less bend at at the waist too.

I guess a whole bunch of police departments can't be too wrong. Police departments use of ST's. were one of the big factors when I decided to take the leap into the sport touring world.

This ergo website is very interesting.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

VBA #659

Last edited by schoeney; 06-19-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:02 PM   #97
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post

Not for me

Sent from my iPhone, inspected and certified by the NSA
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 06-19-2016, 09:04 PM   #98
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
I am not sure.

Like my Nomad, I had to "dial in" my ST. Risers and my Russell seat. Now I can do 800+ mile days if desired (not usually desired ). 800 mile days are tiring even if your butt does not hurt.

Probably not fair to compare my Nomad to my current ST configuration because I never made the investment of a Russell seat on my Nomad, but even before I got the Russell seat I was a lot less fatigued on the ST at the end of the riding day vs. the cruiser position.

But I also know that every body is just a little bit different in what they find comfortable.

Now that I have been riding my bike for 3 years I prefer the Sport Touring position. Less pressure on the tailbone and pretty neutral position with my risers. I like having less bend at at the waist too.

I guess a whole bunch of police departments can't be too wrong. Police departments use of ST's. were one of the big factors when I decided to take the leap into the sport touring world.

This ergo website is very interesting.

http://cycle-ergo.com/

Ditto for the RT

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 06-19-2016, 09:15 PM   #99

IMHO The Roadmaster, Wing, XCT, Nomad, Voyager are probably better for 2 up (vs. an ST) More storage and more comfy for the passenger.

VBA #659

Old 06-19-2016, 09:48 PM   #100
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
IMHO The Roadmaster, Wing, XCT, Nomad, Voyager are probably better for 2 up (vs. an ST) More storage and more comfy for the passenger.

There's always the k1600 too but yeah, they have more room.

BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 06-19-2016, 09:57 PM   #101
Advanced Member

Quote:

My trophy SE has a lot of storage and my wife says it is about the same as any of my bikes for comfort.

I am still trying to sort out my seat on the Road Glide Ultra. To soft and cushy from the factory for touring.

I rode a Springfield with the shield removed. I like it. The turn signals did not cancel. If they do, they take way too long.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 06-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #102
Top Contributor

Greg and Ponch,

Seating position is different for everyone or there would only be one style. Having my legs out front is much more comfortable for me. If the Sport Touring position fit me better I would be looking more at the Goldwing for my next bike.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-19-2016, 10:30 PM   #103

Even on my Harley ,,unless I am shifting or it's cold, I have my feet out on the Highway pegs. As far as power goes, anything should feel more powerful after riding the Nomad.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 06-19-2016, 10:31 PM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Greg and Ponch,

Seating position is different for everyone or there would only be one style. Having my legs out front is much more comfortable for me. If the Sport Touring position fit me better I would be looking more at the Goldwing for my next bike.
Yep. I agree, that is why we have choices.

VBA #659

Old 06-19-2016, 10:42 PM   #105
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
My trophy SE has a lot of storage and my wife says it is about the same as any of my bikes for comfort.

I am still trying to sort out my seat on the Road Glide Ultra. To soft and cushy from the factory for touring.

I rode a Springfield with the shield removed. I like it. The turn signals did not cancel. If they do, they take way too long.
The Trophy is a lot like the pre-LC RTs with more power, but heavier too. It's pretty reasonable priced for what it is too. An acquaintance had a RT like mine and got a Trophy a year ago. He likes it a lot better. The new LC RT is a lot better too, but the price is getting up there.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT