Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-12-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
VBA Founder

What's Your Claim To Fame???

At work one day, a bunch of us were eating lunch and started talking about a friend who had a celebrity for a relative. Then we all started talking about what OUR claim to fame was.......so I propose a claim to fame thread here on KawaNOW.....be honest, it makes it that much more interesting........

Trip's claim to fame:
My Dad went to high school with Mike Nesmith of the Monkees.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2008, 09:05 AM   #2

Back in the early 60's I had just gotten out of the Marine Corps and returned to Tucson Arizona. I had been in the construction trade and had paid my union dues for the four years I was in the Corps only to come home and find the construction business a waste land. A movie company came to town and I applied for a job as an extra as a cowboy. I had ridden barebacks and bulls before enlisting so I got the job. I worked for eleven weeks for John Wayne and Maureen O Hara. He was a hell of a guy, really down to earth and loved his bourban.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #3

Can't think of any thing! If someone recognizes me on the street I will ask them how they know me ???
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM   #4

Don't know if this counts but before I grew my hair out and the year or so after pearl harbor came out I must have had at least a dozen strangers come up to me and tell me I look like Ben Affleck. They would be random places like one time at albertsons buying diapers the clerk said "Wow, Ben Affleck buying diapers!" or on my delivery route at work I would have a certain customer call me "ben" everytime I came in. Another time I had a very forward girl REALLY embarrass me but thats another story for the lighter side.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #5

Working in production since the late 70s I've been around alot of famous people, mostly musicians. My wife asked me who I thought was the most famous I've ever work with so I had to think about it for a while. I'd have to say Mel Gibson. I worked Front of House for an event where he was speaking about The Passion Of The Christ while he was making it. Seems lke a nice enough guy.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2008, 11:04 AM   #6

Wolfman that's too funny! I used to get the whole Ben Affleck thing too....a few years back when I was clean shaven and before my beard went totally Santa on me. My wife kinda has a thing for Ben Affleck, so it's all good. I guess now I probably look like Ben Affleck's dad. :/

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 01-12-2008, 11:13 AM   #7

ok...Shut up Nico.....one of my distant distant relatives was Benedict Arnold...YES I'M A TRAITOR by blood!!!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:24 AM   #8

One of my ancestors rode with Butch Cassidy and Hole-in-the-Wall Gang. Gotta love an outlaw!

Old 01-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller

i once ride with a nice guy named sonny

Old 01-12-2008, 12:14 PM   #10

As a musician, I have played in many back-up bands with some decent artists before moving to the musically challenged border region. I have played in the Corpus Christi Jazz Festival several times. Lately tho the best gig I had was with a Tejano Band at a wedding in Rio Grade City TX. God - I am a long way from home lol

Old 01-12-2008, 12:31 PM   #11

A friend of mine's daughter played the female lead in the movie "Transformers" and stars on the sitcom "Reba". Other than doing security work for a few Foriegn dignataries in DC that's about it. I do, however, ride a Nomad and have stayed at a Holiday Inn if that counts for anything.
Ride safe,
Dano

Old 01-12-2008, 01:14 PM   #12

My cousin is Chauncey Billups of the Detroit Pistons.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:52 PM   #13

My cousin (Bob Jones) played baseball for the California Angels and the Texas Rangers. He is going to be managing the Rangers AAA farm team in Oaklahoma again this year. Don't get to see him much since they play all west coast games.
I did get to spend a few awesome minutes with Dale Earnhardt once at Pocono raceway. They used to allow fans on pit road for qualifying and all the drivers would hang out there before their runs. Got to talk to quite a few of the drivers and get all the autographs I wanted. That was before Nascar got so popular. Now you can see the drivers through a chain link fence.

Old 01-12-2008, 03:08 PM   #14

Mine is pretty dorky compared to the likes of meeting John Wayne etc.

Footloose was filmed in my high school. I saw Kevin Bacon a lot, it was filmed while classes were going, but he was an unknown then and I didn't care at all.

The only person that I used to get confused for was Kenny Loggins, when I had long hair. He played a 4th of July concert in my area and people thought that I really was him.

I would have gotten more mileage if I looked like Brad Pitt instead, I'd even feel OK with looking like Ben Affleck :)

Old 01-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #15

My best friend (who passed away back in 2000) knocked Matthew McCounaughey out cold in the Howards parking lot in Kilgore, Tx, the summer of 1988. I don't remember how it started, but we were all riding around in different vehicles, drinking beer, and being general teenage nuisances.

We finally got Matt and his friends to pull over in the Howards parking lot so we could all throw down (or "chunk" as we called it then). There was already bad blood between Roy (my friend) & Matt, but I don't recall now what it was all about. Matt was being his usual arrogant self, smacking this gum in a really annoying way. Anyway, Roy sez, "Quit smacking that gum, or I'm going to slap the sh*t out of your mouth." Matt keeps smacking, and turns and smiles at his friends. All of a sudden WHAM! Roy caught him with a crushing right hook, and Matt hit the ground. There was this silence that fell, and the next few seconds seemed to stretch out. Bong (another friend) just sighs, and takes his glasses off and sets them on the top of our car. One of Matt's friends (don't remember his name) sees Bong do this and says, "Hey! Put your glasses back on!" It seemed Matt's friend lacked a certain something, uh, I don't know...NUTS, maybe?

Anyway, long story short, the seconds stop stretching out, Matt realized he's on the ground and leaps up. He lets out this elephant-like roar that I remember to this day, and starts to charge Roy when his friends grab him and drag his ass back to their truck, and take off.

I can't stand him as an actor, so I tell this story a lot.