Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > NorthEast/Eastern Canada Rally '14

Old 07-28-2014, 03:23 PM   #1

Rally Group Rides - Revised

Over the last couple of weeks, I have been working on finalizing the rides for our upcoming rally. As mentioned in an earlier post, this past winter was really tough on the roads, and many of them are in really bad shape, with lots of bumps, cracks and heaving. However, I do have what I believe are two really nice group rides that avoid the worst of the roads, although there will still be a few bumps along the way. Between the two rides, there should be something for just about everyone.

Please PM either CNC, Fish or myself with your email address for the latest ride details and .GPX files.

Oh, one last thing. I have included one bar stop on each of the rides. This being Cow-Hampshire however, and given that New Englanders eat more ice cream than anyone else in the country, they are both dairy bars

************************************************** *******************************

Tuesday's ride will still ride the northern notches, but utilize more of the primary state roads. However, we will ride the full length of Route 16 along the Androscoggin River from Berlin to Erroll, which is a very nice ride that tends to follow every bend and curve in the river. Also, instead of Evans Notch, we will go through Pinkham Notch, stopping for a break at the base of the Mt. Washington Auto Road. The ride will start the same way as before all the way to Bethlehem, but then pick up Route 302 and then northeast to Gorham and Route 16 heading to Berlin.

Thursday's ride will start with a west-east crossing of the Kanc, with a turn-off across a covered bridge and a nice ride along the northern bank of the Swift River on a road pretty much known only to the locals, campers and hikers. Then south on Route 153, before heading west towards Wolfboro and around the southern tip of Lake Winnepesaukee through Alton Bay to Meredith. The afternoon portion of the ride will continue north along Newfound Lake, followed by a nice stretch of road along the Connecticut River Scenic Byway before heading east on Route 112 back to our motel.

I will review the rides with everyone on Monday, along with meeting times and other things to be aware of.

Please note that I have only pre-ridden and adjusted the two group rides, and not the six self-guided rides outlined in the ride package distributed at the end of last year. You ride those at your own risk, although if you stick to major state roads, you should be OK.

Also, if you choose to try the original group routes yourself during the off day, be aware of the following:
Route 113A through Wonalancet should be avoided. It is practically unrideable. Same with Lost Nation Road. Routes 113 and 25C, although not as bad, are still bad and not an enjoyable ride.
Route 110 between Routes 3 and 16 is in good shape, but 110A is not.
Route 118 between Mt Cardigan (Route 4) and Route 25 is a really nice ride, but the road, although rideable, has some sections that are pretty bumpy.
Route 118 through Oliverian Notch is very bumpy, but still a great ride.
Route 113 through Evans Notch is a really nice ride and the road is is good shape, but the road continuing south of the Notch is not. There are quite a few miles of very bumpy road between the southern end of Evans Notch and Hurricane Mountain Road.
Hurricane Mountain Road is in good shape, but it is a very narrow (two-lane road that is only a single-lane wide with woods coming right up to the edge of the road, very windy, very curvy, and with some pretty steep ups and downs. Love the road, but watch out for the occasional cage who is either white-knuckled as they realize they are in over their head, or think it is there own personal test track. (Note: In both cases, you can usually smell the burning breaks as a warning.)

Tom Maziarz (tomm)
VBA #00766
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Black)
1978 Suzuki GS750EC (My son is riding it now.)

2017: National Rally - Lake George, NY
2016: NE US / E Canada Rally - Mont Tremblant, QC
2015: National Rally - Eureka Springs, AR
2014: NE US / E Canada Rally - Lincoln, NH
2012: NE US / E Canada Rally - Wellsboro, PA

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #2

Thanks Tom, See you Monday!
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 07-29-2014, 03:55 AM   #3

Looking forward to the rides,hope the weather is favourable. Early start for Sunday Morning,head to Digby Ferry at around 0530h. Don't think we'll make Monday Morning but you never know. See you all soon.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Should be a great time, and with all this rain this week, I'm hoping it will be a dry Rally. But be prepared it is New England. Thanks for all you've done Tomm.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]