Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #1
Advanced Member

When does "empty" mean "zip-nada-zilch"?

As some of you know, I'm transitioning to a '06 Nomad from a 1500 Classic (carb.)

Today's question: With the digital gas gauge, is there any indication when low gas is getting *really* critical?

On my analog Classic, when the needle moved completely over the "E," I had about 8 miles left. This morning on the way in, I got the yellow warning light with one digital bar remaining on the gas indicator. I began calculating, based on my average mpg, my expected range with a variable for commuter stop&go. (There's a stretch with no gas stations that provides a little pucker factor).

With my other bikes, the rule of thumb seems to be that the "reserve" is about 1/5 of the tank.

On the digital indicator--does the last bar ever disappear? If yes, is there any gas left after it does?

Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-13-2009, 07:43 AM   #2

I have never seen my last bar disappear. When the "FI" light comes on, and stays on, I have rode 35-38 miles to get to a station, and put 5.1 gallons in the tank. I don't think I want to try that again. Now, when the light comes on, I pull into the next station I come to. ;)

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 01-13-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I guess empty means, you've run out of gas.

Old 01-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #4

My warning light will come on after traveling a few miles on the last bar. It will come on and go off intermittently for a few miles further until it will stay on. When it finally stays on I will fill it with about 4.4 gallons. The most fuel I have put after traveling about 20 miles with the light on is 4.8 gallons. I won't do that again if I can help it.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 01-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to dabull

while you're sitting on the side of the road, you'll have plenty of time to figure this one out;)

I have ran mine and watched the come on, go off, come on, go off,come on and stay on....figured it was time to pull into gas station...I still calculate based on odo...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-13-2009, 09:36 AM   #6

When my low fuel light comes on steady I can go about 35-40 miles, them Im Empty. You are supposed to have one gallon left at this point.The tripmeter is probably your best bet at monitoring your fuel level. I can get between 180- 200 miles on most tanks depending on speed and temperatures.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-13-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Top Contributor

When the light comes on and I get to head right in to get fuel, I tend to put in between 4.2-4.6 depending on how long I had to go to get to the gas station. This last week I got to the point of putting in 5.1 and that was close enough for me!
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 01-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #8

When you find yourself with a plastic water bottle and rubber hose doing this, you'll know it's time to fuel up.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #9

In the 61K miles I have put on my 30 month old bike, I have discovered and realized a thing or two about the Nomad.

1. The 5.3 gal tank does not mean you can draw 5.3 gal out of that tank. I ran out, engine spitting and sputtering into a gas station, after 176 miles, light on for some time, but could only put 4.7 gal in... The next time in central Florida, made a wrong turn, no gas station for 20+ miles, light went on at 150 miles, engine stopped running at 182 miles, sent a friend for gas (on his Harley- oh crap!), this time, I put in a total of 4.8 gal. The pick up tube in my bike will only let me draw 4.8 gal of the 5.3 tank! Be careful!

2. If I ride at 55mph or below, I can get up to 44 mpg on a good day with just cleaned throttle bodies. Twist the right hand to 75 mph it goes down to about 36 mpg if no wind, and clean throttle bodies and a low 32 mpg with a strong head wind and TB's that have not been cleaned for some time. Makes it kinda tough to guess using the odo. But I usually do.

3. Don't get into the habit of running too low, the fuel pump in the bottom of the tank uses gas to cool it, and should be covered in gas for this reason. Ask your dealer how expensive it is to have a fuel pump changed, I did, it was over $800, that was two years ago.

Good luck my friend!

Old 01-13-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Advanced Member

You can go alot further when the fuel light comes on, just make sure you keep turning left ang you will be fine. lol but seriously I have came close a few times to running out I think it was about 25miles befor it started to sputter but i was going about 85.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 PM   #11
Top Contributor

when light comes ON, get some gas. You will never be stranded then.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #12

Man I need to keep me an empty 32Liter pop bottle..... could come in handy!!
Although I did run the nomad to light on to test it once, I have always stopped at a station and filled up when I hit 1/4 even with my 98 Carb 1500 Classic.... so never have run out before.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Old 01-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #13

Tested my 08 Nomad back in November. Went for a ride, passed up a gas station when I had 3 bars showing. Knew I was heading out into the hinder lands, but there was a town about 30 miles up the way. Just past the gas station I went to 2 bars. No problem, I'll get gas up ahead.

No working gas pumps in the town when I got there. Oh crap. Headed back the way I came, got to one bar and the light came on intermittently. Pucker factor kicks in. I wonder how hard its gonna be to push it to the next gas station, about 12 miles ahead. Then the light stays on.
I swear this ain't ever gonna happen again if I can just get to a gas station.

Got to a gas station, it took 4.8 gallons, so I had a little left, but now I refuel early and often.
I don't care for the idea of running out of gas in the middle of no where.

I am still figuring out my mileage, but get about 35 average, less when riding 2 up. But it also depends on wind, and if I stay off the throttle or not.

I'm too damn old to try to push the Nad to a gas pump, unless the wife is along. She's good at pushing it. (grin)

Old 01-13-2009, 03:47 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to dabull

I find that when the light starts to flickerin to look for a gas station, is generally a good time for a stretch:)

Old 01-13-2009, 04:31 PM   #15

I have a 2003 so I can't help you with your 1600. But I wanted to ask anyone who has run out of gas if you have to do anything besides fill her up and turn the key after it has gone bone dry??????

Just in case I do something stupid.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina