Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Rider killed in Phoenix

Here's another one from this morning. I post these as a reminder to us all that you have to constantly be on your guard at all times while riding.

Motorcyclist killed in collision with Valley Metro van

by Chelsea Smith - Mar. 2, 2010 09:42 AM
The Arizona Republic

A 25-year-old motorcycle driver was killed Tuesday morning after colliding with a Valley Metro van in Phoenix, authorities said.

The motorcycle caught fire after hitting the van about 6 a.m. near 35th Avenue and Lower Buckeye Road, said Capt. Berry Morgan, a Phoenix Fire Department spokesman.

The rider was driving north on 35th Avenue when the motorcycle collided with a Valley Metro van that was making a left turn onto the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office training facility, said Detective Luis Samudio, a Phoenix police spokesman.

The motorcycle driver was sent to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead, Samudio said.

Officials believe the motorcycle driver was wearing a helmet, Morgan said.

The statement that the "motorcycle collided with a Valley Metro (our local public transit) van that was making a left turn" makes it sound as though the rider was at fault, when in fact, the van failed to yield the right of way.

The other statement "Officials believe the motorcycle driver was wearing a helmet" is puzzling. He either was or he wasn't.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 PM   #2

Rider killed in Phoenix

On the helmet issue...

...you can't prove he was wearing it if it was no longer on his head when they arrived on the scene (unless witnesses say he was).

If the wreck was bad enough... who knows if the helmet was still on his head CJ. I have seen some pretty horrific pics of bike wrecks that sometimes show barely any clothing on the biker... and you know they were wearing more than their underwear at the time of impact.

Overall... these posts are a good reminder CJ of how we all need to be sure NOT to get into a habit of being TOO COMFORATABLE ON A BIKE -- EVER!! ;)

EVERYONE IS OUT TO RUN-YOU-OVER is my mantra when on a bike. I just hope I don't ever have to find out it doesn't work.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Rider killed in Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson
On the helmet issue...

...you can't prove he was wearing it if it was no longer on his head when they arrived on the scene (unless witnesses say he was).

If the wreck was bad enough... who knows if the helmet was still on his head CJ. I have seen some pretty horrific pics of bike wrecks that sometimes show barely any clothing on the biker... and you know "they" were wearing more than their underwear at the time of impact.

Overall... these posts are a good reminder CJ of how we all need to be sure NOT to get into a habit of being TOO COMFORATABLE ON A BIKE -- EVER!! ;)

EVERYONE IS OUT TO RUN-YOU-OVER is my mantra when on a bike. I just hope I don't ever have to find out it doesn't work.
Good point about the helmet, Greg. While on our way back to Phoenix on Sunday my wife and I stopped for lunch in Mesquite, NV (buffet!) and I was behind 3 riders for a little bit. One was wearing a helmet (mandatory in NV) and the other 2 had them hanging from their handlebars. The helmeted rider was on a wing, the others were on Harleys. Just an observation.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-02-2010, 09:14 PM   #4

Rider killed in Phoenix

Most all the riders I ride with wear a helmet... no matter the brand of bike. I always wear one.

No offense; but in my area, just as many non-Harley's ride without helmets as much anyone. Just saying CJ...;) :)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 03-02-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Rider killed in Phoenix

I relax on my bike, but at the same time I assume every other vehicle on the road I see is out to get me. It is possible to do both. Seems the news always tries to put the blame on bikers, though.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Rider killed in Phoenix

When we are on the road we have always got to keep our guard up. I enjoy seeing scenery but with observing all the traffic in front of, to each side and behind me it is hard to see any scenery.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 03-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #7

Rider killed in Phoenix

I am grateful for every post that reminds me to WATCH OUT.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 03-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #8

Rider killed in Phoenix

Pisses me off how they say the motorcycle ran into the vehicle rather than the vehicle turned in front of the motorcycle. I think the first method has an accusatory tone to it. Like it was somehow the motorcyclist's fault.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Rider killed in Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by heath3n
Pisses me off how they say the motorcycle ran into the vehicle rather than the vehicle turned in front of the motorcycle. I think the first method has an accusatory tone to it. Like it was somehow the motorcyclist's fault.
That's precisely the point I was making. It's as if the rider was negligent by letting the cager turn left in front of him.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 03-07-2010, 06:19 PM   #10

Rider killed in Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by heath3n
That's precisely the point I was making. It's as if the rider was negligent by letting the cager turn left in front of him.
And with that style of reporting (which seems to happen often) there are no lessons learned for non biking readers about interacting with bikes, other than bikes are dangerous.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #11

Rider killed in Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack

And with that style of reporting (which seems to happen often) there are no lessons learned for non biking readers about interacting with bikes, other than bikes are dangerous.

A huge +1 on that.