Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-24-2008, 08:43 PM   #1

Stripped windshield bracket bolts

Got a new windshield coming. 2 of the side bracket bolts are stripped out. Whats the best way to back them out and where can I order some new ones?? They are 5mm bolts, thanks!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #2

Ron Ayers or bikebandit.com will have them.

Try turning them while applying pressure to the end of them with a bent pick or little allen wrench or such. Hopefully they are the side bolts where you can see the ends and not the front bolts which are tougher.

Also hopefully it's the bolts that are stripped and not the threads in the bracket.

The dealer who installed my windshield over tightened all those bolts. I was afraid mine would strip the first time I took them out. The jerk!

Old 03-24-2008, 10:27 PM   #3

Clarify the question please. Are the bolts turning but not backing out or are the allen head sockets stripped out and you can't turn the bolts? I had one bolt that was buggered during assembly and was difficult to remove. Managed to get it out without stripping the head but I bent a wrench in the process.
They used locktite during the assembly so it would be a good idea to apply something to dissolve the glue. I've used WD-40 and also Liquid Wrench. Someone else might have a better idea. If the heads are stripped there are several different types of EZ-Outs. I prefer the square tapered ones myself. Ask at a hardware store they can help with what and how. If their the bolt I think they are, you might have to use an extra long drill bit to reach past the edge of the windshield.
PS? Windshield to bracket or bracket to side of fork

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 03-24-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Which bolts are you referring to? The bolts that secure the actual windshield to the chrome plates, or the bolts that secure the windshield assembly to the mounting brackets?

I took my windshield apart to clean the inner windshield and wasn't paying attention and didn't realize there were 20mm and 25mm bots used, thus I interchanged them and ended up breaking a couple of the 25mm bolts by overtightening the nuts. Ended up buying replacement bolts and nuts. Not inexpensive. Live and learn, I suppose.

I shopped ron ayers, bike bandit and mrcycles, and I think mrcycles was cheaper on both the parts and the shipping.

If you're talking about the larger bolts that attach the windshield assembly to the brackets, I'm guessing the hex center is stripped out. Sometimes, I can force a slightly larger TORX bit in something like that and turn it out. Other times, it takes a big pair of vise grips and some elbow grease.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
Advanced Member

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93481

You might be able to use one of these. I read about the same problem on the Kawasaki Cruiser's forum & this is what was recommended. -Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #6

flash,

I have the same problem as you. One of the four allen bolts on the side brackets would not budge. I stripped the head and bent the allen wrench.

redeye,

Thanks, I think I will run out to Harbor Freight and pickup one of those tools.

Michael

Old 03-25-2008, 01:40 PM   #7
Top Contributor

yes the metal on these allen bolts is soft. hex head will strip easy especially if you apply alot of pressure or use SAE instead of metric. Don't need to be that tight to hold.

Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #8

Man that's pretty inexpensive. Think I will get one myself.
You can't have to many tools you know
I striped the allen hole in one of mine. Had to take the dremil and cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver to get it out :(" title="" border="0"/>
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]