Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-23-2011, 10:05 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
cruise control

when installing a throttle lock cruise control on the throttle grip, is it suppose to spring back quickly when the cruise is released? mine does, but its slow. no matter what i do to adjust it, it stays the same.
i've tried everything i could think of to make it faster...but no go.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2011, 10:16 PM   #2

cruise control

It should return, as if its the throttle lock isn't even there.
Try to see where its rubbing. Is the space between the throttle grip and the switch control sufficient?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #3

cruise control

plenty of space..and i've gotten the locknut turned out so far that i am afraid its going
to fall off...but it is still slow to return. i've even backed out the allen screws holding the rubber under the throttle piece...no good either. i've shimmed the thumb piece back and forth...trying to get it perfectly centered...i've tried a lot of things..lol!

Old 02-23-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Advanced Member

cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
plenty of space..and i've gotten the locknut turned out so far that i am afraid its going
to fall off...but it is still slow to return. i've even backed out the allen screws holding the rubber under the throttle piece...no good either. i've shimmed the thumb piece back and forth...trying to get it perfectly centered...i've tried a lot of things..lol!
Lube the throttle cables, they are a push pull design. Get a cable lube (local bike shop) and spray some cable lube into them. You may want to disconnect the cables at the grip and use the cable lubber to spray into them and let it soak in over night. If you haven't done that it's time. You can then work them in and out a few times using a pair of pliers on the ENDS and gently work in and out to work the lube down the cable. That should free it up. I know..it worked fine before I put on the lock, but it's the REAL problem with it not snapping back like it should. If it's the Vista Cruise, I have it, had for many years. Last year it did this (stiff) after I adjusted it, so I backed it off and took it off. Same, lubed the cable (think I missed it from prior winter check list?) and Whola!!! works the way it should now with the new adjustment as well.

Lube the cables..........

Scott

Old 02-23-2011, 11:06 PM   #5

cruise control

How did the throttle work before the throttle lock install?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-24-2011, 05:23 AM   #6

cruise control

What model throttle lock do you have? When it is engaged and you need to twist throttle some to maintain speed going up a hill can you fairly easily do this? Have you changed grips since the throttle lock was installed? I am only familar with the Brakeaway model and it comes with different thickness internal mounting strips. the thinnest strip, I believe is used for intallation over a Kury ISO grip. I installed it a few years ago but this unit as I recall requires only a small adjustment to ensure the throttle lock has a firm enough hold on the grip to maintain speed on a level road but once released there is no binding at all and the throtle returns as normal.

Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 AM   #7

cruise control

i have the kury iso grips...and the rubber that came with it was thick...really hard to get under the
grip piece. the throttle works great when i take the cruise control off.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #8
Advanced Member

cruise control

Quote:
i have the kury iso grips...and the rubber that came with it was thick...really hard to get under the
Now we have the REST of the story. OK sorry, but had the same thing happen on mine last season and it was the cables. Still should do them each year, but I missed it like I said last time.

Anyway, I am assuming still it's the Vista Cruise throttle lock we are referring to? I don't remember you mentioning if it wasn't.

So if that's the case and you can remove it and throttle works as designed, then the drag from it is what is causing the problem with the throttle grip returning (snap back) when it is released.
Then it is very likely that the rubber that you used is too thick. IF it's still on the bike do this. using a piece of string, where the gap of the rubber part that goes around the grip, take it and on one side of the gap in the rubber follow it around holding the string to the other side (circle) to the other side of that gap. You are going to take the string then and lay it out on a ruler and get a measurement (follow?) once you have done that. Take the unit apart. Lay out the rubber FLAT (and measure it again to be sure) It is likely that it's compressed on the grip so that the measurement off will be higher. From that you can determine how much it compresses once on. Then using an exacto knife take a small amount off one end of that rubber. You should know a rough idea once you check both measurements. Once you've done that, put the unit back together on the grip. After you do check for smoothness of the throttle and lock and adjust it to hold. Now flip the lever and it should return easily like it's not there. If it does not next (before you do the same process again) spray a little lube up into the throttle from the mirror side to ensure it rotates smoothly. I hope any of this makes sense. I think in your case there is just a bit too much rubber material and once CLAMPED it is causing this binding.

Good luck, hope you get it worked out. I don't have those grips on mine, but remember someone else having something like that and it was the rubber we had to cut to make it work properly but it was a few years ago.

Scott

Old 02-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Mega-Contributor

cruise control

Quote:
The Vista Cruise isn't designed for the Kuryakyn ISO Grips. You need to trim some of the rubber spacer. I'm sure someone here who has done it will tell you what you need to do.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-24-2011, 02:17 PM   #10

cruise control

Look it up.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/fo...iso-grips.html

Old 02-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #11

cruise control

I installed the Vista Cruise on my 2007 Nomad but had to sand down the inside face of the rubber sleeve. I used a sanding block to get an even application and after trying a few times got it perfect. Cruise works great.

Old 02-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #12

cruise control

I was on Sound Off Recreational's website and they have a kit that will allow the cruise to be used with iso's. I contacted them and they were going to send me this at no cost. You have to buy the Vista Cruise from a distrubutor. ;)

Old 02-26-2011, 09:09 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to dabull
cruise control

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullman
I was on Sound Off Recreational's website and they have a kit that will allow the cruise to be used with iso's. I contacted them and they were going to send me this at no cost. You have to buy the Vista Cruise from a distrubutor. ;)

+1 , THEY SENT ME A PACKET ON THE QT :)