Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-29-2008, 11:59 PM   #1

Help with Unwanted flashing brake light

HELP!!!

Me and my fingers have caused my brake light to start flashing constantly. Even when I'm not using the brake! What I did was with my led odometer reading total bike miles I pressed and held the reset button for about 20 seconds. Then the led display said FI thats all, and the brake light started to flash and I havent figured out how to get it back to normal. I think I have put it in some kind of program mode but cant get it out. I even disconnected the battery for about 2 minutes and it still is flashing.

NE ideas on how to solve my problem will be greatly apreciated!!

Vin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2008, 12:12 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

According to the Kawasaki factory service manual, you placed the bike into self-diagnostic mode:

SELF-DIAGNOSIS PROCEDURES:

* Remove the front seat
* Ground the self-diagnosis terminal (yellow lead) to the battery (-) terminal using a wire.

* Turn the ignition switch ON
* Push the MODE button and display the odometer
* Push the RESET button for more than TWO seconds.

The LCD FI characters are displayed.

Any of the following procedures (conditions) ends self-diagnosis:

* When pushing the RESET more than TWO seconds.
* When the ignition switch is turned OFF.
* Pushing the mode button and the trip meter is displayed.
* When the ECU receives the speed sensor signal.

That's right from the manual (Page 3-38). It says nothing about a flashing brake light. Maybe that's because it was placed into self-diagnostic mode without the jumper wire in the second step? I don't know. I've never tried this myself.

Oh, I almost forgot...welcome to the Nomad Nation from the Grand Canyon State!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-30-2008, 03:16 AM   #3

Vin,
Sorry man, I am the wrong person to ask...but this is definitely the right place to ask because there are some smart cookies here...I'm just not one of them. Welcome anywho, and I hope you get your questions answered.
Rich

Old 08-30-2008, 06:08 AM   #4

WELCOME to The Group..CANNT Help BUT this will is a GOOD question and would like to kow the outcome,,,,,Rich

Old 08-30-2008, 07:30 AM   #5

Welcome to the site.I hope you get your bike fixed.
I need one of those service manuals.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2008, 07:31 AM   #6

Welcome from Canada, I have no experience with your problem, but I'd try what cactusjack recomended from the manual. If that doesn't clear it, call Kawasaki and see what they say about it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-30-2008, 09:24 AM   #7

Thanks Cactus Jack!! and everyone. I want to think that it has left program mode because the FI disappeared. If it weren't for the pesky brake light flashing. Makes me think that it is linked to the ECU somehow. I have tried all the ways to end the mode and the bike is just fine operating wise of course no difference is made when I apply the brakes. I neglected to mention I have a 2007 model.

In the service manual does it say any thing about flashing codes from the brake.

OH NO!! I just remembered I have a different type of brake light(aftermarket). In normal operation the light has small led lights that flash in a circular motion. The flash in the opposite circular motion until the brake is activated then the brake light flashes like it is now. Could have something gone wrong at the same time as I entered program mode. I bought this bike used so am off to take the lens off to see if I can identify what type of light I am dealing with.

BRB

Vin

Old 08-30-2008, 09:41 AM   #8

Update!!

It is called a rotation flasher. It is the same as an 1157 bulb but is with small leds. I can't see it being the aftermarket brake flasher. I really think that the problem is with the ECU some how!

Vin

Old 08-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #9

I got to get me one of them Factory service manuals too. I've got the one on cd rom, but it sure cannot compare to Factory. Thus far I've been lucky and had no problems with my bike like those I see posted here at times, but you never know. I'll be watching to see what his result is here.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:38 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

I looked and saw no mention of a flashing brake light in the manual. If it's a 2007, you might need to take it and have the dealer look at it under warranty. Could be a flaky ECU.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-30-2008, 06:10 PM   #11

I can't see why the brakelight would have anything to do with the ECU, I would suspect the aftermarket led brakelight is defective or the brakeswitch can't sense enough load on the tailight, you may need to add a resistor if this is the case.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-30-2008, 09:05 PM   #12
Top Contributor

Just for kicks I would replace the LED bulb with a stock bulb. If the problem goes away you will know something is wrong with the LED bulb.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 09-02-2008, 12:24 PM   #13

Sorry for the delay gang. Went away for the week end. I like your idea Bob I was thinking of just that. I was also thinking that it is more of that type of malfunction. I had to call Calgary, Thanks! Pro Am Cycle. The Mech confirmed that the ECU does not and will not flash codes to the brake light. There is no connection between the two. I'm thinking faulty aftermarket signal device or faulty brake switch. I am going to get a bulb today and try that first. I'll let you know.

Vin

Old 09-02-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrloni
Sorry for the delay gang. Went away for the week end. I like your idea Bob I was thinking of just that. I was also thinking that it is more of that type of malfunction. I had to call Calgary, Thanks! Pan Am Cycle. The Mech confirmed that the ECU does not and will not flash codes to the brake light. There is no connection between the two. I'm thinking faulty aftermarket signal device or faulty brake switch. I am going to get a bulb today and try that first. I'll let you know.

Vin
Just an odd coincidence that the brake light decided to flash when you put your ECU into diagnostic mode. Weird.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 PM   #15

No kidding, But if the self diagnostic mode is checking brake continuity then, It might not have recognised the aftermarket bulb. I still don't know if there is a module with this bulb either it could be under the seat.... I just don't know.