Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #1

Brake Lights Won't Work

Hi All,

I just noticed that my brake lights are not working. The lights will come and stay on when I start the bike. However, once I press the brake lever (hand or foot) the lights are not getting brighter like they should.

I wanted to know if anyone had any advice on where I should start to resolve this problem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #2

Brake Lights Won't Work

It is most likely your brake switch sticking, check and clean the switch by the rh floorboard. if that doesn't fix it check the switch in the front brake lever. Its usually the back one that gets dirty and sticks.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-22-2010, 06:30 PM   #3

Brake Lights Won't Work

Thanks Ringadingh. I clean both, at least brushed both, at got the same result.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Brake Lights Won't Work

Quote:
my brake lights are not working
Check the bulb. Do you have more than one brake light?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-22-2010, 06:59 PM   #5

Brake Lights Won't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
my brake lights are not working
I have the original brake light and the brake lights on the trunk. All the lights come on when I move the switch to start. However, they will not get brighter when I press the brake (hand or foot).

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Brake Lights Won't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by peabo2k
Quote:

I have the original brake light and the brake lights on the trunk. All the lights come on when I move the switch to start. However, they will not get brighter when I press the brake (hand or foot).
Okay, your taillights are working. Your brake lights are not. Take off your seat and find the wire harness that passes through the rear fender. Follow it into the battery cavity and you'll see a 6-pin connector. That's where your taillight wiring harness connects to the main chassis harness.

Unplug the connector, and look at the end that goes to the bike, not the rear fender. One of the pins in that connector is your brake light circuit. The pin coming from the RED wire should be the brake light. Using a voltmeter or test light, ground the negative lead and touch the positive lead or probe to that pin with the key on while someone works either of the brake levers.

The light should light or the voltmeter should read at least 12 volts when the lever is actuated. If it does, then it isn't your brake switches and you need to work your way backwards toward the taillight. Not knowing where your connection to the trunk lights are, I can't say what's going on there.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-22-2010, 11:28 PM   #7

Brake Lights Won't Work

Good advice Scott, and Patrick, I would check the wires where you tied the tour pack lights into the Nomad's circuit. If you didn't solder them, they may have worked loose.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 10-23-2010, 05:18 AM   #8

Brake Lights Won't Work

catusjac I was reading this thread and even I could understand your directions. Good Job!

Old 10-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #9

Brake Lights Won't Work

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, your taillights are working. Your brake lights are not. Take off your seat and find the wire harness that passes through the rear fender. Follow it into the battery cavity and you'll see a 6-pin connector. That's where your taillight wiring harness connects to the main chassis harness.

Unplug the connector, and look at the end that goes to the bike, not the rear fender. One of the pins in that connector is your brake light circuit. The pin coming from the RED wire should be the brake light. Using a voltmeter or test light, ground the negative lead and touch the positive lead or probe to that pin with the key on while someone works either of the brake levers.

The light should light or the voltmeter should read at least 12 volts when the lever is actuated. If it does, then it isn't your brake switches and you need to work your way backwards toward the taillight. Not knowing where your connection to the trunk lights are, I can't say what's going on there.
Great instructions and very easy to follow. I used a test light. The bulb came on for everything but the brakes.

Old 10-23-2010, 04:12 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Brake Lights Won't Work

Quote:
Quote:

Great instructions and very easy to follow. I used a test light. The bulb came on for everything but the brakes.
Okay. Since it is highly unlikely that both brake switches have failed, it could be a wiring problem.

Also, how did you connect the lights on the tourpak to your motorccle wiring? Where is it spliced in and how?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-23-2010, 05:54 PM   #11

Brake Lights Won't Work

Did it all work properly at one point, or is some of this a new installation?

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #12

Brake Lights Won't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Did it all work properly at one point, or is some of this a new installation?
It was all working properly. I noticed that the brake lights were not working earlier this week.

As I hope the attached pictures shows, I spliced into the wires and connected the lights from the tour pak.

Old 10-23-2010, 06:45 PM   #13

Brake Lights Won't Work

Those scotch lok connectors that you used sometimes make poor connections when splicing, I try to avoid using them as much as possible for any long term connections. Check that you are getting power in and out of them. While they are convenient, they are known to cause problems in wiring.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-23-2010, 06:52 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Brake Lights Won't Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
Those scotch lok connectors that you used sometimes make poor connections when splicing, I try to avoid using them as much as possible for any long term connections. Check that you are getting power in and out of them. While they are convenient, they are known to cause problems in wiring.
That may be, but it looks like these taps are on the taillight harness. He disconnected the plug from the main harness and said the brake light pin wasn't getting any juice. His problem is somewhere between that connector and the brake switches, probably fairly close to that connector. It would have to be further back than where the brake switch circuits meet the main harness.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-31-2010, 11:43 PM   #15

Brake Lights Won't Work

As I asked in an earlier post, what was the outcome....was it something dumb like a bad bulb? Or something really special and hidden hard to trace....when someone presents a problem It would be great if they posted the solution instead of just failing to follow up....the suspense is killing me....Just ranting I guess.