Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #1
Advanced Member

flashing brake lights

I installed a new trunk it has built in brake ,tail and clearance lights. I like the lights but the tail/ brake lights are led's and the brakes flash when applied. I think it attracts attention but is it legal? I still have the stock brake, tail assembly in use .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #2

Flashing brake light

I work in the automotive field. There are some photometric values that must be met regarding FMVSS108. Typically, your brake light must overpower your tail light by a certain percentage. Otherwise, trailing traffic might not be able to tell you've hit the brakes. Outside of that, flashing typically does not violate any FMVSS108 rules especially if you "added" the trunk light. As long as your added brake light is in the red color (not blue, green, yellow, etc...). Your original brake light, if still installed, will satisfy the FMVSS108 requirement all by itself. Does the flashing stop? I've seen some lighting that flashes initially but that's only for about 2 seconds and then goes to solid brake light. This is intended to get the attention of following drivers that you're stopping. I can not speak to any individual state laws about lighting however, FMVSS is the "Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard". It's federal. Canada has it's own CMVSS but follows FMVSS very closely. Check your local laws for verification but from what you've described, I wouldn't think you've violated any FMVSS rules.

Hope that helps.