Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-30-2009, 04:33 PM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus
CT/MC tire explained

I found this on another forum talking about car tires verses bike tires.
I don't know if this has ever been posted here before but it is worth posting.....

This was posted by BlaneB on the Delphi Vulcan forum and I thought it was a pretty straight forward explanation of why Care tires and MC tires are different and why DOT approved Car Tires are acceptable on Motorcycles while Motorcycle tires are DOT approved on Motorcycles only.

Without further ado:

What exactly makes a motorcycle tire a motorcycle tire? How is it defined as a car tire?

I'm seeing all these debates about the two, but I guess I don't really understand what makes each one what it is outside of the (sometimes) obvious shape. (Even that can't always be used as a determination it seems.)

ETA: Seriously, I'm not looking for debate. I'm just genuinely curious as to what the factors are that qualify the tire to be classified as such.

Hi Fritz.

DOT defines M\C rated tires as motorcycle specific, which means they only meet the engineering requirements for motorcycle use.

Car tires, or P rated radial tires, are not restricted to any vehicle type as long as the tire fits the wheels sizes and weight limits listed by the manufacture. There are no DOT restrictions on putting a P rated radial tire on a passenger car, light truck, trailer, two wheeled motorcycle, three wheeled motorcycle, motorcycles with side cars, or any other vehicle that meets the tires size and weight limits.

As far as construction, M\C rated tires for the street generally have much lighter weight but stiff carcasses and run at higher pressure to satisfy the main difference between tires, motorcycle specific tires are rounded in cross section which allows for a consistent small contact patch either vertical or leaning. M\C tires usually have much lower load ratings than CTs. street M\C tires are made with harder rubber compounds than street CTs, usually they are much harder due to the rapid wear caused by the small contact patch.

Tire engineers only have two ways available to control tire wear, increase the size of the contact patch or use harder rubber, or both. The rounded M\C tire can only have a larger contact patch by being made wider so there are real limits. Hard rubber is the only way to make street M\C tires last as long as they do, and that isn't very long at all compared to a CT.

Motorcycles came with car tire in the beginning, and ran flat tread bias ply tires for years. With the advent of GP racing and street sport bike there was a genuine need for the rounded tires foe these bikes. Unfortunately, when the really big cruiser and tourer motorcycles came out the rounded tire was expected by most buyers. It wasn't a really good tire for the job on the really big bikes, but marketing wanted round tires to sell bikes. Look how many people hate there M\C tires on big bikes, there is a reason.

If tire engineers actually were allowed to develop a better tire for big bikes, guess what, it would look an awful lot like a CT. And most riders would look at them and say, hey, that tire isn't round, we don't want it!!

Ct are engineered for much height weight and stress loads than M\C tires. CTs were not designed to lean at a 45 degree angle like bike tires, but they still will do it safely so, so what!

Many people use and safely enjoy CTs on the back of big bikes, and some Sport Touring riders are using them now.

Both tires will do what the other one will do safely. They just do it a little differently.

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-30-2009, 07:01 PM   #2

CT/MC tire explained

Nicely done. Thanks for posting.

How do you like yours so far Wompus?

Old 08-30-2009, 07:07 PM   #3

CT/MC tire explained

I think thats what a lot of us have have figured out after doing some research on our own.
However there are still some out there that considor mounting a car tire a sacred sin despite there is no proof to back their reasoning.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-31-2009, 09:21 AM   #4

CT/MC tire explained

Thanks for posting!
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

CT/MC tire explained

Thanks for posting this. I find this somewhat amusing because last week there was a knock-down, drag-out battle on the Delphi Vulcan Forum about car tire vs motorcycle tire on bikes. I would be personally embarrassed if the members of KawaNOW resorted to the petty name calling and ridiculous, distorted logic exhibited on that forum. I think we're above that.

Ignorance is in abundance when discussing this topic. I'm not going to ram using a car tire down anyone's throat, but I won't tolerate being called an idiot for doing so, either. Likewise, if you don't want to run a c/t on your bike, then great. Riding a motorcycle with a car tire isn't for everyone. But don't knock it until you've tried it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-31-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
CT/MC tire explained

I AM NOT ABOVE THAT!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 AM   #7

CT/MC tire explained

Very good post Mike. It all pretty much falls into place. The tech at the independent shop that mounted my CT told me that they evaluate the type of bike and the tire before they agree to mount it. Even after doing so, they require the owner to sign a disclaimer of liability. He did tell me that of the few car tires they mounted, my application made more sense than any other application they had seen. On a touring bike that can't lean a heck of alot plus pulling a trailer made them happy to mount the CT. He also asked that I give him feedback on how the bike handles and performs. I've already done so.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to wompus
CT/MC tire explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaiahsdad
Nicely done. Thanks for posting.

How do you like yours so far Wompus?

Heh, heh, heh... Where do I start... First off, in 63 I had a 39 Indian that had a CT on it and in 71 a Harley with a CT on it. I'm embarrassed to say I totally forgot all about it. Back then all you had was a bias tire but the new radial was a lot of concern to me.

I've gone about 500 miles solo and with the wife. Interstate, highways, mountain roads, curves and even though I was concerned how my bike, and me, would handle it the concern soon faded. Curves kinda made me worry a bit, but after 100 miles I couldn't see much difference in the stock or CT!

I did notice slow turns, parking lots, driveways, and u-turns are MUCH better then before! The tire stops a LOT better , rides smoother.
Starting off from a standstill is a blast!! You don't tend to roll like you do with the stock BT. The flatness in the tire kinda keeps you up until you get rolling, just pick up your feet and go! ;)

Since I totaled my bike a few years ago curves scare the crap out of me!! But, now I don't worry bout it any more. But then again, I've never been one to drag my floorboards,

How do I like it? I LOVE IT!!!

Now, I wonder how a CT will work on the front?

Mike "WOMPUS' Nieznany
1999 Nomad "Fronkensteen"
Viet Nam Vet 68-69-70
KawaNOW #00577
I'm sarcastic and have a smart ass attitude. It's a natural defense against DRAMA, BULLSHIT & STUPIDITY!!