Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-29-2022, 07:04 PM   #1

1700 Front Wheel: Paint, Bearings & Seals

I picked up my 2014 Vaquero w/10K miles last year and parked it for the winter. I ordered new tires and a stock front wheel from a 15 Voyager off Ebay . When I pull this apart I decided to paint the front wheel all black. I wanted to keep my stock wheel - stock just in case. I planned to rebuild the wheel before I paint it. Here are my questions:
1. From what I can find from research, appliance paint seems to be highly recommended for motorcycle wheels. I want semi gloss black - not flat but not high gloss. Any recommendations for paint?
2. For prep I'm finding a light sanding with 400 grit paper and degreasing/cleaning. Recommendations?
3. Should I go with 2-3 coats of paint or a few coats of paint and clearcoat?
4. I'm reading the best are All Balls bearings?
5. All Balls sells seals in the kit - those good or do I need Kawasaki?
6. Anything else you would recommend doing on the front wheel?
7. What do you recommend for brake pads? (Kawasaki or?)
8. If the bearings are good would you leave them alone?
9. I've read about the head bearings. Should I get those done at 10K miles or can I wait?

I appreciate any and all suggestions.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-29-2022, 10:00 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I would buy OEM bearings if the wheel needs bearings. All Balls are okay for head bearings but I would not use them for wheel bearings.
I would leave the head bearings for now if you don't have the forks off the bike. Do the head bearings at the next tire change. I stick to OEM for brake pads.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:34 PM   #3

check out the Eastwood website for wheel paints and coatings they even have videos on prep and application.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I would buy OEM bearings if the wheel needs bearings. All Balls are okay for head bearings but I would not use them for wheel bearings.
I would leave the head bearings for now if you don't have the forks off the bike. Do the head bearings at the next tire change. I stick to OEM for brake pads.
That was my gut feeling as well. I'll go with Kawasaki, thanks.

Old 04-30-2022, 08:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
check out the Eastwood website for wheel paints and coatings they even have videos on prep and application.
I buy my welding supplies from Eastwood - didn't think of them for the wheels - appreciate that.

Login or Register to Remove Ads