Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-07-2022, 08:37 AM   #16
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H8BUGZ View Post
Thanks for the info Gary! Wish I had known sooner, as it's back together with a new switch and working for now.

Sadly the pin is backordered with 100 - 110 day eta! (Per Partzilla)
I have had the same problem. Under warranty replacement with the same results and updated parts. Worked fine for a time, then started all over again.

The impedance is the issue. The tip of the pin on my skoot was a fine point. So my question is the oil additives becoming an issue with the fine contact point? The service manager where the work was done thought this might be a point to consider. With all the different oils and oil additives out there and some skoots having the problem, I would think this could be a possibility.

I asked for the pin when the last one was replaced with the intention of taking it to a jewelry shop and have them apply a small ball of gold to the tip to improve the contact surface.

Hasn't been done yet. I retired, tore the roof off of my house, broke a tendon in my shoulder, had back surgery. I've been so busy I don't know how I had time to work and raise 4 kids.

To much fun is never enough.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-07-2022, 06:31 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
The indicator reads a specific impeadance for each gear and saw a video for another bike when he replaced the contacts that appeared worn and uneven. I suspect you could sand down flat again to provide good contact so it provides good contact and correct impedance. I believe cruise will not work if the bike cannot determine gear selection.
You sure about that? Have you checked for the impeadance for each contact on the shift position switch? Plus, if that were the case the ECU would have to know the output signal for each contact position to tell the gauge panel which gear position to indicate.

The shift indicator pin is cued to the shift drum so it moves the same as the shift drum, and the contacts on the shift switch are spaced radially to match the shift drum travel. The rotational travel of the shift drum is controlled by both shift tangs connected to the shift shaft. I assumed the shift switch is simply contact by position only.