Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada East Group

Old 12-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Winterizing

Has anyone ever used the engine fogging system for winter storage? I have a heated garage,my manual for the 1700 states I should run it dry and put some lubricant in the cyclinders. Condensation in the tank should not be an issue in a heater garage. That's what I did with my 1500 classic and never had any issues or rust. In order to get at the plugs on the 1700 I have to remove the tank,then a chrome engine cover to access the plugs,alot of work. I thought I would fill the gas tank add stabilizer and fog the engine. This I think would be the best way to go. Any suggestions and or opinions would be appreciated. Thanks Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-01-2011, 11:09 AM   #2

I think that if you put it away with a full tank of fuel with some stabilizer added and charge the battery a couple times over the winter you should be fine. Ive started mine once or twice throughout the winter and let it run for about 5-10 minutes and have never had a problem.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:51 AM   #3

I prefer the filling the tank and add stabilizer method rather than drain the tank myself.
I use the fogging oil in a lot of my seasonal motors. I remove the plugs and spray then turn over the motors. You can remove the air cleaner and spray directly into the throttle body with the engine running at a fast idle. You will get clouds of smoke out the exhaust, so best to do it outside, stop the bike and push it in the garage.
In a heated garage condensation on the cylinder walls is not so much of an issue, so running the bike during the winter as Steve mentions is probably just as good at getting some oil film back onto the cylinder walls. A byproduct of combustion is moisture, so run it long enough that everything is good and warmed up.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 12-01-2011, 07:48 PM   #4

Norm does the fogging spray foul your plugs resulting in a change in the spring? I really don't want to run 2 bikes several times a month in the garage over the winter.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #5

It has never been an issue for me, I think it burns off the plugs pretty quickly. You will get a fair bit of smoke out the exhaust when you first start up in the spring but that will dissipate quickly as the motor warms up.
By the way last time I bought some I got it at Canadian Tire right around the same shelf as stabilizer.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #6

This is a post about winterizing with info from Mac. Based on his recommendation I use fogging oil.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=19099

Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Thumbs Up

Hi
Plus 1 on the fogging oil, full tank of gas with stabilizer. Battery tender is hocked up, & I have those rubber plugs in the exhaust pipes.
Bike is up on the jack with Idaho’s adaptor. Bike fires right up come spring time.

Cheers