Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #1

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

I have been contacting oil companys to get advice on what oil to use in a v twin wet clutch.
Being that my bike is under warranty , i want to make sure the companies will back the product they sell.
I have recieved a response from Mobil.
The only oil that they manufacture that they recommend for this application is: MOBILE 1 V TWIN 20W50 and MOBILE RACING 4T 10W40 MOTORCYCLE OILS.
Shell has responded that ROTELLA T Full Synthetic oil is good for this application. No comment from them about any of the other oils they make. Below is a copy of the response fro Mobil.

You have only two choices, Mobil1 V-TWIN 20W50 and Mobil1 Racing 4T 10W40 motorcycle motor oils.

--
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at 1-800-ASK-MOBIL

MJ

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #2

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

I Like to read these threads,, The bring alot to the boards.. so good as well.. PLUS we learn more.. I use Mobile MX4T in my Honda Sabre,, Tried the V twin in the Nomad,, before I ride this year I use MX4T....
as for Rotella Synthetic,, I started a Big debate on another forum with their users LOL.. They would bust the Chops of Mobile users for paying 7/8$ a qt.. and Rotella was only 20$ a Gal.. when I told them Rotella wasn't a TRUE Synthetic they got ticked off LOL.. When I proved them wrong the were not happy :).. Rotella Synthetic is a Dino Based oil.. That has been altered /purified to a point that its DNA was changed by 1 part or something like that,,, since it had the extra piece in it design that made it different then Dino DNA,, so LEGALLY they could call it a Synthetic,, as the make up was different,, basically a legal game..The Rotella still has the side effects of Dino oil,,as in thermal break down and carbon build up..etc,, BUT long story short ROTELLA is a GREAT oil,, Best DINO oil out there,They may now make a TRUE synthetic oil,,dint know that yet,,I did get a 5 star rating on a debate that I had with Shell on this on their Web Site,,, The answer was always side steped about it being Dino based,,, Like a Politician does LOL
Synthetic oil is all Man made,, BUT as long as the oil is changed on time and the right type of oil is used we are all good... :) Ill pay the extra for Full Synthetic,,IMO to me its worth it,,

Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 AM   #3

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

i use mobil 1 v-twin 20-50. so far so good.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #4

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

I haven't seen mobil v-twin oil up here so after reading about all the posts on synthetic oil I went and bought amsoil 10-40 motorcycle oil and put that in mine. It was 10.00 a quart but I'm sure the mobil v-twin 20-50 isn't cheap either, right? Synthetic's seem to be getting more popular right along.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #5

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

Im sure all synthetics are good oils. Along with most dino oils.
I am really just looking into the pros and cons and then will decide weather i stay with Valvoline 20w50 for motorcycles with wet clutch or am i going to change to synthetic? Havent had any problems but then again , i change my oil every 2000 miles. Seems i cant leave anything alone. Always changing something. Guess thats part of the hobbie right?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #6

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

i have been running the mobil 1 racing 4xt 10w 40w with good resuls.cost is about $8.75 a quart.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 03-12-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

The number 1 advantage of true synthetics is resistance to thermo breakdown. It can take almost twice the heat. I noticed in motorcycle racing that the inside of the engines appeared to be cleaner while using Mobil 1 or a quality true synthetic. Oil that doesn't turn to sludge inside your engine because of heat will generally look cleaner.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-12-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Advanced Member

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

..I find these oil threads interesting. What I don't quite get is why anyone that is worried about using the right oil to protect their warranty, would not use Kawi full synthethic. What better way to not have to worry about the wrong oil. I pay about $7.50 a liter up here and I know its an accepted oil for wet clutches. Is there some issue with their oil that everyone wants to use something else? Inquiring minds want to know!!! :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 03-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #9

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
The number 1 advantage of true synthetics is resistance to thermo breakdown. It can take almost twice the heat. I noticed in motorcycle racing that the inside of the engines appeared to be cleaner while using Mobil 1 or a quality true synthetic. Oil that doesn't turn to sludge inside your engine because of heat will generally look cleaner.
I agree about Synthetic not having the Thermal break down like Dino based oil.. It just holds up better,, I have a Dodge Intriped that has been usint Mobile1 since 40k,, now 170k later 3 kids and still doesnt burn oil :).. They Clam better MPG as well.. Havent really noticed it on my bikes,, BUT on my Air Cooled Lawn Mower I was able to cut both sides of my lawn and culvert with 1 tank of gas...before i had to refuel at about 3/4 of the yard... so On air cooled it shows alot IMO...
Im not alway right but Im never wrong LOL....

Old 03-12-2009, 02:17 PM   #10

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

Spectro Platinum full synthetic , the most exspensive and the best. Increases torque to. Lol

Old 03-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #11

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

lomax, I also use Kawa. Synthetic and it says on the back of the lable that its excellent for V-twin wet clutches.So now youve got me wondering if there might be an issue with this oil....Madno?

Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 PM   #12

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

I'm using the Kawasaki synthetic. The top end noise got quieter after I put it in. The bottles say it is made for Kawasaki by ELF oil and distributed through a company in Irvine , Ca. I know ELF oil is big in Europe. The stuff is green. Maybe for Kawasaki green. LOL.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:14 PM   #13

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

I used Rotella full synthetic before I had the POG changed out. I thought it ran much smoother than on dino, but that is just me.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 03-12-2009, 07:55 PM   #14
Top Contributor

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

Mobil has to say that their V-twin works best because thats motorcycle specific oil and COSTLY. other Mobil oil will work just as well. You just have to use the right one. Turbo-Diesel 5W-40 is my pick.

Old 03-13-2009, 06:40 AM   #15

OIL THREAD ( SORRY )

Think i will see if i can find info on the ELF oil. Never heard of them. This is the first i have heard anyone using Kawi synthetic. Learn something new everyday. The only oil on the shelf at the local stealership is Kawi Dino. I didnt try that because i didnt know who made it. I know Kawi dont make oil. So i have been with Valvaline motorcycle (wet clutch) for a couple of years.