Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthCentral Group

Old 10-05-2010, 04:48 PM   #1

Exhaust is fixed

Had a dentist appiontment this morning so I didn't get started on it until almost 11:00. Removed the pipe and muffler in one piece and removed the bandage on with the pipes on the bench. The tomato paste can held up great. The hose clamps would not have made it much longer as just about all the temper was gone from them. One crack was about 320 degrees around the pipe and the other one was about 120 degrees around the pipe. I welded up the cracks and ground down the welds. The pipe is super thin in that bend and I did burn 3 holes in the pipe before I got everything figured out. Did more of a spot welding job than a bead weld. Moved back and forth around the pipe to keep heat at a minimun. Even stopped once and let the pipe cool off as I could see the crack was trying to open when I was welding.

Met Liz in town for a burger and then headed to our local muffler shop for a piece of 2 inch pipe with a 45 degree bend in it. The guy running the place found exactly what I needed in his scrap pile and gave it to me for nothing. I cut the piece to fit and then split it into. As I was fitting the pieces on the pipe my youngest son showed up and took pity on old dad and welded the 2 pieces onto the pipe. He had to leave for work so I finished grinding down the welds and fitting the shield on the pipe. Bolted everything back on the bike. Picked up all the tools and stuff. Started the bike and checked for exhaust leaks. Looked at the clock and everything was put away and the shop cleaned up at 4:15.

So tomorrow I will take it for a test run and retighten all the bolts. But for now it is off to mow grass.

Jim

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 PM   #2

Exhaust is fixed

Good work Jim. And, txs for all the tips on mods you gave us in Antlers.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #3

Exhaust is fixed

Glad you got it fixed it should hold up now

Old 10-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #4

Exhaust is fixed

Vance & Hines would do good to visit your shop for some training. With all of the problems they've had with those bends cracking, you'd think they would have went to thicker pipe or at least some type of alloy that can stand up to the heat and vibration these headers endure. It's almost like they don't give a rat's @$$ about inconveniencing their customers.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 10-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #5

Exhaust is fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Vance & Hines would do good to visit your shop for some training. With all of the problems they've had with those bends cracking, you'd think they would have went to thicker pipe or at least some type of alloy that can stand up to the heat and vibration these headers endure. It's almost like they don't give a rat's @$$ about inconveniencing their customers.
You said it Mitch!

Login or Register to Remove Ads