Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-11-2010, 11:33 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
New clutch spring and Judges washers?

Okay, I'm reading all of these clutch threads and my furtile little brain is stacking different scenarios together so that now I have to ask a question.

Several of you have replaced your stock springs with the Barnett spring, not sure if you used the standard or heavy duty model, and some have gone with the Meanstreak spring from Kawasaki.

Several have used Judge's Washers to beef up their clutch and it has been mentioned at least once to use these washers to 'protect' the clutch spring.

Now for the questions.

What is the difference between the heavy duty Barnett and the Meanstreak spring?

If one installs a new spring to replace a worn one how does the addition of Judges Washers 'protect' that spring?

It was my understanding that Judges Washers eliminated the limited slip built into the stock clutch. If one installs these washers with a heavy duty clutch spring would the clutch be uncontrolable?

I have a set of Judge's Wahsers in my toolbox for the day that I notice the clutch start to slip and would like to have some idea of what my options are before I get into it.

I'm wondering if I should buy a stock clutch spring or a heavy duty one to go with the washers.

Okay, let me have it.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

bud since you already have the washers, I'd just get the heavier duty meanie spring and not get the gorilla spring from barnett. JMHO

My main concerned is how much hydraulic tension in put on the activation mechanism using the barnett spring. Not real sure which 1600 factory spring is the strongest, I think the meanie spring is but not sure, but i'd use it with the washers and not risk much additional load on the hydraulic system. I'm hearing 50K miles on that "combo" and still grabbing hard!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-11-2010, 12:16 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Thanks Brad
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #4

Bud, I have the Barnett MT-25 stored away for when the clutch begins to slip. I don't plan to add Judge's Washers with the spring. If my memory serves me right, those that have installed the Barnett spring haven't used the washers. I remember Scott saying how stiff the clutch lever is and I don't think he installed the washers.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Bud, I have the Barnett MT-25 stored away for when the clutch begins to slip. I don't plan to add Judge's Washers with the spring. If my memory serves me right, those that have installed the Barnett spring haven't used the washers. I remember Scott saying how stiff the clutch lever is and I don't think he installed the washers.
I did install the Barnett MT25 spring, I did not install the Judge's washers. When my clutch started slipping I ordered a mean streak spring and a set of Judge's washers. Since it was getting close to Custer and since Judge is known to "disappear" for periods of time, I ordered the Barnett spring just in case Judge didn't come through in time. I ended up using the Barnett spring and I am hanging on to the meanie/Judge's washers parts for future use.

I used a micrometer to check the thickness of the stock, meanie and Barnett springs, and the Barnett was considerably thicker. It seemed a little stiff at first when I'd pull the clutch lever, but I quickly got used to it and it just seems normal to me now. A bonus result is I can now crush walnuts with my left hand.

I can only speak from my own experience, but if given a choice, I'd probably do the Barnett spring over the meanie/Judge combo again.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
I did install the Barnett MT25 spring, I did not install the Judge's washers. When my clutch started slipping I ordered a mean streak spring and a set of Judge's washers. Since it was getting close to Custer and since Judge is known to "disappear" for periods of time, I ordered the Barnett spring just in case Judge didn't come through in time. I ended up using the Barnett spring and I am hanging on to the meanie/Judge's washers parts for future use.

I used a micrometer to check the thickness of the stock, meanie and Barnett springs, and the Barnett was considerably thicker. It seemed a little stiff at first when I'd pull the clutch lever, but I quickly got used to it and it just seems normal to me now. A bonus result is I can now crush walnuts with my left hand.

I can only speak from my own experience, but if given a choice, I'd probably do the Barnett spring over the meanie/Judge combo again.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Quote:

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #8

Id probably use Judges washers with either spring,that is if they fit with the Barnett spring It will reduce the wear on the spring tangs. This is wear the springs weak point is and causes the slipping to start.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #9

Id probably use Judges washers with either spring,that is if they fit with the Barnett spring It will reduce the wear on the spring tangs. This is wear the springs weak point is and causes the slipping to start.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 PM   #10

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
Advanced Member

I'm with Ring on this one. The Barnet spring may be thicker, and may last longer before slippage shows. But it will eventually wear the same as the stock spring, unless it is made of some metal that is more wear resistant. The sure way to not have the spring wear is to use Judges washers. Using the washers along with meanie spring will give a clutch that will function maybe as long as the bike does. Just my 2 cents worth! :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
Advanced Member

I'm with Ring on this one. The Barnet spring may be thicker, and may last longer before slippage shows. But it will eventually wear the same as the stock spring, unless it is made of some metal that is more wear resistant. The sure way to not have the spring wear is to use Judges washers. Using the washers along with meanie spring will give a clutch that will function maybe as long as the bike does. Just my 2 cents worth! :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

Old 04-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #14

I used the mean streak and washer combination, but I thought that later model years had a component that protected the spring like the washers do. 05' comes to mind, but.....? I know for sure that the 99' did not protect the spring. ;)

Also, in my conversion with Judge, when I ordered my SOG and washers, he recommended the mean streak spring, so Bud I would make sure that the Barnett spring and Judge's set of washers combination would work together. I know the washers were a tight fit with mean streak spring on the 99'; since that is the only Nomad I've worked on.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 04-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #15

I used the mean streak and washer combination, but I thought that later model years had a component that protected the spring like the washers do. 05' comes to mind, but.....? I know for sure that the 99' did not protect the spring. ;)

Also, in my conversion with Judge, when I ordered my SOG and washers, he recommended the mean streak spring, so Bud I would make sure that the Barnett spring and Judge's set of washers combination would work together. I know the washers were a tight fit with mean streak spring on the 99'; since that is the only Nomad I've worked on.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13