Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada East Group

Old 03-15-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Advanced Member

To all my Quebec friends HAPPY RIDING

So today is the day that you can remove your snow tires and start riding your bikes in Quebec. So let me be the first to say.....

HAPPY RIDING DAY!!! to all our friends in Quebec and hope your weather is good today and for the weekend to get out and enjoy a nice ride.
May get mine out for a quick tool around the block before I start tearing into it getting it READY for the season and do the MOD's I've finally got some of the parts for.

Remember to RIDE SAFE and WATCH for all the CAGERS!!!!

Also be careful in the corners as still a lot of SAND and maybe SALT on some streets.

Scott

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 AM   #2

Merci Scott!, As for me the bike is not quite ready, as a matter of fact, neither are the roads :(" title="" border="0"/>. Still too much salt and sand on the roads, too much snow melting too, (lots of water on the roads) and freezing rain forcasted this week :-/ not to mention the potholes ... If all goes well, first week of April we should be able to do some short rides, maybe even deliver some cigars
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 03-15-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

I find it interesting that the government mandates snow tires, which I presume is why you can't ride - 'cuz bikes don't have snow tires. Is this a provincial thing, or a national law?

I used to live in snow country (Salt Lake City) and there was no such requirement, although certain areas at times could be closed to all vehicles except 4wd or chains. It was usually the highways to the ski resorts following a large snowfall.

Just curious...
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I find it interesting that the government mandates snow tires, which I presume is why you can't ride - 'cuz bikes don't have snow tires. Is this a provincial thing, or a national law?

I used to live in snow country (Salt Lake City) and there was no such requirement, although certain areas at times could be closed to all vehicles except 4wd or chains. It was usually the highways to the ski resorts following a large snowfall.

Just curious...
It's a Provincial thing, it came into being with hands free or no cell at the wheel, 60mph engine block on all trucks, mandatoty drivers ed for new drivers (motorcycle course is mandatory for all) exceptional fines for excessive speed... I may have missed a few. They also wanted to bring the legal limit to .05 from .08%, but that failed ??? New drivers have only 4 demerit points for the first two years (15 for us experienced drivers) w/ zero tolerence for alcohol... They lose their licence on the spot and have to take drivers ed over again (after a 2 year wait). The Provincial police had a news conference this week saying the death toll had dropped by over 50 last year (since the intro of the law) So it is here to stay. Personnaly I have always had 4 winter tires on my cars. Last year we were on the road w/ our bikes early, we had had almost no snow last winter (had no water either last summer in our lakes) and the law provides a 7 day grace period for traveling, sale of vehiules and early spring (that was abused more than once by bikers ) So there, hope that satisfied your curiosity...

Old 03-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Yeah, great explanation. Thanks.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-15-2011, 12:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Yeah, great explanation. Thanks.
Bienvenue mon ami

Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #7

Thanks for the good wishes Scott. I may celebrate the day by getting the bike out and washing it. Weather wise we are way behind schedule for any real riding.

CJ What Sly forgot to mention was our provincial government rams it to us in the form of high priced license plate that include insurance that are for a 12 month period and basically legislates us off the road for 3 of those months. I have no issue with the snow tire law on cars and trucks, but give us a break on the bikes. I think most people are smart enough to not ride in winter conditions, but If we happen to get unseasonably nice weather between Dec15 and March 15 we are S.O.L and sitting on the side lines.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM   #8

I love the fact that you can only ride for nine months, but the insurance is only available for twelve. Talk about a blatant scam.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-15-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc
Thanks for the good wishes Scott. I may celebrate the day by getting the bike out and washing it. Weather wise we are way behind schedule for any real riding.

CJ What Sly forgot to mention was our provincial government rams it to us in the form of high priced license plate that include insurance that are for a 12 month period and basically legislates us off the road for 3 of those months. I have no issue with the snow tire law on cars and trucks, but give us a break on the bikes. I think most people are smart enough to not ride in winter conditions, but If we happen to get unseasonably nice weather between Dec15 and March 15 we are S.O.L and sitting on the side lines.
Was it you or Sly that mentioned the $650 annual registration??? I guess I can see that if it includes insurance - but talk about a "nanny state". I don't mean any disrespect to you Canadians, but that's freaking ridiculous.

Of course we have the opposite problem in the USA with uninsured drivers/riders. I guess that's one way to solve that problem.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 03-15-2011, 02:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc

Was it you or Sly that mentioned the $650 annual registration??? I guess I can see that if it includes insurance - but talk about a "nanny state". I don't mean any disrespect to you Canadians, but that's freaking ridiculous.

Of course we have the opposite problem in the USA with uninsured drivers/riders. I guess that's one way to solve that problem.
That does include government insurance, you still have to insure for liablities. Seems like the $ will be going down about 15-20% next season (bikers b*tched and the government listened) Now that's different ;)

Old 03-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #11

Just got my renewal in yesterday $633. Sport bikes are in the $1200 range. As Sly says there will be a 23% reduction next year.
To be fair when you add the cost of a plate and the insurance together that others pay elsewhere it probably is not all that bad. For me plate with Government insurance plus private insurance with road side assist, fire theft, collision, full replacement cost etc is a total of $1055 a year.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 03-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
Advanced Member

First, CJ this law is in Quebec and not all provinces for snow tires being mandatory. They are trying to bring it into Ontario as well, but not legislated YET!. Also the FEE's they pay in Quebec are not yet here in Ontario (hope they never are) as our annual license plate fee's are 48 for bikes and 74 for passenger vehicles. Most insurance companies insure or charge you for 8 months riding but will let you take out 12 month policies to pay each month. They spread it out over 12 payments, but in reality the insurance is based on liability for the 8 months they figure is RIDING SEASON here. Also in Ontario it is not yet mandatory to take a motorcycle rider or driver training course. It is advisable for new riders/drivers as cheaper insurance, but you can write your test (written) and then do the road test at the Ministry office and get your license without taking either. You have longer on probation (G2) and some restrictions, whereas with the courses you reduce the probation time down to 18 months and can get your full G permit (or M for bike) sooner and therefore lift some of the restrictions. These are 0 blood alcohol and not to travel on 100km+ (400 series) highways, and in cars have a licensed driver with you (full G). Cannot take a passenger (bike) or (not sure on this one) travel between dusk and dawn.
There is a liability fund here as well.
So not all provinces (like all states) have the same rules/fee's.
Also some provinces have smaller populations so some of these changes to property damage claims may make fee's higher as less payee's to spread the pain!!!!
We pay high taxes here, some pay less, so in the end across the board it works out that we can all agree on, everyone gets screwed, one way or the other

As for the snow/ice on the roads, hopefully that will change very soon so you CAN all take advantage of an early spring ride (me too).

Scott