Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #1

Question BAD wobble(death wobble) after new tires

Just replaced both front and back tires on 2015 Voyager 8000 mi.. Have Metzler 888 on there and almost immediately experienced the death wobble..If you dont have both hands on handlebars it has a wobble..This is happening on throttle more so than deceleration..You can set the cruise and let go one hand and almost instantly have the wobble...Took it back to dealer and we reset everything to specs,called Kawasaki,talked to Metzler and can find nothing out of the ordinary..We had it at the Kawasaki tire pressure I think was 28lbs and it was terrible..Reset it to metzler pressure of I think 42 and it was a lot less wobble..It doesnt do it all the time but it is something that is concerning..Now the original tire from stock had a weird "s" type wear pattern up the center of the tire but no wobble...My thinking is leading me back to the head bearings in the handlebars anyone else have this????Can the bearing just need to be snugged up a little..Any help would be appreciated Thanks Jeff

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by REVOMAN23; 09-18-2015 at 06:04 AM.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

Greetings REVOMAN23,
That would be a bit unnerving! It seems to me the tell tale sign is the
Quote:
...Just replaced both front and back tires...
Curious as to what Metzler's response was? What was the dealer's thoughts?
AllBalls Racing http://www.allballsracing.com/22-1039.html has a replacement bearing set that many have used with great success to address front end wobble.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 09-18-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
Advanced Member

The wobble is caused by using non-approved tires. Put new Bridgestones on and it will be back to normal. Many of us are using Michelin commanders with reasonable little wobble, and replacing the ball bearings in the steering head with tapered rollers also reduces the wobble.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

Thanks I will look into those bearings..

Old 09-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #5

Yes, it has happened to my Nomad and Vaq. The steering stem bearing needs a few more lbs of torque. Not too much though, you can damage the bearings. Both my bikes ride fine and can (if I wanted to) take my hands off the handelbars with no wobble. I am running Elite 3 tires front and back on the Vaquero and Michelin Commander II front and back on the Nomad.
VBA #01416
2012 Vaquero SE Candy-Lime Green/Black
aka "T'Kehla"
2005 Nomad 1600 Black/Silver
aka "Mystique" (SOLD)
2006 Vulcan Classic
aka "Lil'Wolf" (SOLD)

"Life isn't a race; no one gets out alive. May as well slow down and enjoy the ride."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-18-2015, 11:58 AM   #6

wobble

I had same problem on my 2014 voyager. Went to michelin commander ii and have good results.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Got both front and rear Commander II coming in the mail from Denniskirk.com.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 09-18-2015, 11:00 PM   #8

Got about 10k on the Met triple 8's with maybe 3-5k left. Recently developed the "wobble", on throttle at speeds from 35 up to 90, had the stem steering bearings snugged up and the wobble went away...for now.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:06 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
I am running Elite 3 tires front and back on the Vaquero and Michelin Commander II front and back on the Nomad.
Which do you prefer? I have used a few Michelin's on my Voyager and like them but am thinking the Elite's next time for the radials......

Old 09-19-2015, 10:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVOMAN23 View Post
Now the original tire from stock had a weird "s" type wear pattern up the center of the tire but no wobble.
You pretty much answered your own question. If it was fine one day, but the next day it had a wobble, with the only difference being new tires.....there's the cause, plus stem bearings normally are not an issue in only the 8000 miles you've stated are on the OEM tires. I had the exact same experience with the 888's plus they were loud. I really like the commander ll's now tho.....wobble gone. People with front end issues should not forget about fork servicing also, which also made my bike handle a lot better too. It's something that I and others tend to put off

Old 09-19-2015, 02:17 PM   #11

I had a wobble a couple of months ago. The steering stem bearings needed to be tightened, but my Metzler 880 tire also had a hop in it. Bought a new Metzler, and it had a hop as well, so I ended up putting on a set of Pirelli MT66 tires and the wobble is gone as is my desire to purchase Metzler tires. As a side note, I found out after the purchase that Pirelli and Metzler share ownership, but the Pirellis seem fine.

Old 09-20-2015, 12:13 AM   #12

Thanks for all the information..I will be getting the bearing tightened shortly..Thanks to all Jeff

Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 PM   #13

Does anyone on here know a P/N or the size bearings for the steering stem on the 2015 Voyager or point me to where I can locate them to purchase..I think if I have to pay my dealer to adjust them for me I may as well go ahead and have them replaced..Thanks Jeff

Old 09-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #14

I've replaced mine, and am very happy with the results... No more shake.

All Balls part# 22-1039. Search that part number online and you'll see they fit a large variety of bikes. They list all Voyagers up to '14, but I wouldn't imagine they've made any changes to the steering head for '15.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 09-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #15

Voyager Steering Bearing installation tips?

Hoping for a couple bearing installation tips here. As for the seals, can anyone confirm gv550's concern about the AllBalls seal not fitting correctly? (center hole too big)

The manual is a little vague- are the fork covers loose when you remove the tubes? Is there a monitor notch or an issue with lining them up or getting them tight upon reassembly?

Are most going by the bearing preload value or just tightening like one would do for a set of trailer bearings? Tighten to seat, back off, adjust to firm preload with a short grip on the wrench?