Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Set her on her side this morning

On the way to work this morning, I had somewhat of a close call and carefully set my bike down in the middle of a busy highway intersection. Waiting to make a left turn, the light turned yellow, got ready to go, and as the light turned red, I started to go and was in a pretty heavy lean; just as I started the move the woman in the car that was almost stopped and headed in the opposite direction, decided she was going to make a right turn in the same direction as me.

As I slammed on the brakes, the bike came to a stop and I just couldn't hold her up and over she went. That freakin' woman watch the whole thing and just kept on driving. So there I am, in the middle of a busy intersection in rush hour morning traffic, on my side. Forgot how heavy my bike was and tried to do a snatch lift--well, yeah right. Got off and got her up, pushed her to the side of the road started her up and got to work safely.

The weird thing is is that I never wear a helmet, but this morning I as I took my bike out of the garage, I went back in and put on a helmet. What a vibe. Everything is fine, just a small scratch on the crash bar and no damage to me except my ego. Anyway, sorry for venting, but I'm a school teacher and that's a tough way to start a day.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #2

Glad you are ok. I hope that lady gets rotten fruit for lunch.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #3
Top Contributor

Cadd,

Glad you are ok. That has happened to the best of us.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 08-25-2009, 08:32 AM   #4

Thanks for the reminder of how quickly things can go sour. Glad it wasn't any worse.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

Good reminder that cagers don't care so be cautions!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

A drop is no real big deal... I did that in Cali, where traffic is pretty aggresive. My head got in a snafu set and the bike was downed on the right. I forgot to pull out the side stand, so I could get turned around from being back to the bike to lift it. My wife did that for me, but if i was alone i am not sure how I would have got me turned and still hold the bike up...

The set up was I was chasing a guy who knew the area.. he took the right turn, and traffic was closing in fast.

At the same time i hit a raised manhole cover, which was in a sandy patch on the pavement, so there was a lifting effect a stopping effect and a ft wheel stepping out to the side..

Boom down I went. I was so embarressed I didn't feel my 3 broken ribs twitch at that moment.. but i sure did later...

Stopping a Nomad any way other than up straight is bad news.. That effect took me a long time get figured. I was used to tossing my 465 pound 850 triple around like a toy.. I can't do that with the Nomad yet...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-25-2009, 08:42 AM   #7

that sucks man, and show what cagers will do even if they are looking right at you.......goes to show taht they are out to get us and you have to assume that.......i tried to pick mine up the other day when I laid her down in some grass (no damage) and wound up using my 4 wheeler and a strap....how did you pick her up?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:54 AM   #8

Glad to hear it was only your pride that got hurt.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Tp pick a Nomad up alone, you should be in gear 1st is best. It the bike is down on the right, it is more akward for me... So then I like the side stand out, so I can let the bike down on it.

I squat facing away from the bike, getting low, and grab the frame with both hands lifting with my legs and pressing my back into the seat.

If you can, it is a good idea to lock the forks with your key. If there is anyone willing to assist use them to steady the lift and help lifting...

A point comes part way up, that if you can clear a hand to hold the ft brake and steady the bars, it will help.

I weigh 150 pounds, and did it in Cal so fast I can't really recall what happened... I had the idea traffic was going to run me down. They damn near do too!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Tp pick a Nomad up alone, you should be in gear 1st is best. It the bike is down on the right, it is more akward for me... So then I like the side stand out, so I can let the bike down on it.

I squat facing away from the bike, getting low, and grab the frame with both hands lifting with my legs and pressing my back into the seat.

If you can, it is a good idea to lock the forks with your key. If there is anyone willing to assist use them to steady the lift and help lifting...

A point comes part way up, that if you can clear a hand to hold the ft brake and steady the bars, it will help.

I weigh 150 pounds, and did it in Cal so fast I can't really recall what happened... I had the idea traffic was going to run me down. They damn near do too!

thanks MAC....I will have to try it in some soft dirt and grass just to get a feel for it so I can do it when I need to (hopefully not!!!!!)

Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 AM   #11

It's more embarrassing than damaging when you drop the bike in front of an audience, but the embarrassment adrenaline surge helps with lifting it back up :)

Using a lot of front brake when leaned over puts a bike down fast. In a holy sh*t moment, instinct usually tells me to grab the brakes faster than I can decided to only use the rear one.

Before we harp too much on the right turn person, if it was a single lane in each direction road, they were a bone head idiot. If it was a multi-lane road, the left turner is supposed to turn into the nearest lane to the center of the road unless there is a line painted directing them to a different lane. That frees up the lane closest to the edge of the road for cars to turn right into.

Don't know what your setup was, perhaps they were an idiot, or perhaps they were doing it just as it should be done. Depends on the lane setup.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:29 AM   #12

Glad you're OK cadd.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Hey Dan, 2 lanes, both directions, no turn lanes anywhere, gravel shoulder.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Well with my back I don't practice squat when heavy lifting a thing.. When I need to lift something it just gets done..

If I were going to practice with a Nomad i would run the fuel down lower so no spills occur.

I would wrap the crash bars in papers and masking tape, and have blankets down.

AND MAKE SURE nothing was going to contact the saddle bag doors... I might go so far as to pull the bags off the bike in practice mode. Why risk $1,000.00 bags each ! They sure don't add much weight..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-25-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
Advanced Member

That's a hell of a way to start your day.

This morning I wore my riding jacket which I never do in the summer but I just felt like I had to. Nothing happened but it's weird that you get those feelings that all of a sudden you should do something different.

Glad your ok.
KawaNOW #00454
IBA# 42214

2007 Nomad
2008 Concours