Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #31

I got my 2011 black Vaquero for 14,988 OTD. That included all taxes license prep, everything.
Chapter 716

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #32

Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl View Post
actually the price for the vivid black roadglide is $19,499. The $19,994 price is for the roadglide in another color then black, in that case it should be compared to the two tone vaquero like mine which lists for $17,199. As far as the california emmissions I don't live in california so I'm not tacking that 200 on. So in reality your talking about a $2,800 difference. I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, just trying to state that his $10,000 dollar difference is way off.
No black Vaqueros for 2012 so in effect all Vaqueros have "colors" and here in Az. we have Cal emissions so my original quote is for our area, but you are right its not a $10,000 difference between them. When I bought my black Vaq in Jan of 2011 in order to get to the same engine size the comparable Harley was around $5000 diff and lacked a three year warranty but did have the option of ABS. Whatever, dollar for dollar the Kawi is a better financial deal even if the trade in isn't what we would like. I always thought that if you worried about re-sale you probably shouldn't be thinking about a toy.

Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #33
Top Contributor

You HAVE to consider trade in. Almost nobody keeps a bike (or car/truck/etc) forever. Unless you're at the end of your riding time (age?), you'll buy another bike. If you're buying new now, you'll probably buy new next time. If you spend $5000 more initially and get $8000 more at trade in time, then there's only a couple grand difference for more bike. There are 7 year old Harleys that are going for 70-80% of new prices. Unfortunately, you can't say that for most other bikes.

You buy what you want, I'll buy what I want and we'll all be happy. I wasn't planning on a "new" bike purchase any time soon anyway. I like 'em all!
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 05-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Vaquero 11K is that new?
Yes. When I bought last fall 12k deals were aplenty, and I got my local to drop from 15k to 12k, but couldn't pass up the 11k deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Keep in mind that the original purchase price is only part of the big picture. Unless you're never planning on selling/trading the bike, resale/trade in value is almost as important. Assuming you keep either bike in excellent condition, the HD will get a LOT more in trade/resale.
Agreed, to an extent. do the math and run percentages... I could have paid 10k more out of my pocket to hope for better resale value that probably won't mean anything to me, because no matter which bike I would have bought, I am guessing it will have tens of thousands of miles on it before any chance of trading. (put 9k on a bike last year from April to Oct, and 4700 miles on my Vaq to date since Oct. 2011)

To keep things simple, lets say 20k for HD, and 11k for Vaquero. So even if both bikes drop 5k (almost 50% depreciation on the Vaq, and only 25% on the HD since "they are so much better at holding resale value", and EVERY used streetglide I shopped from 2005 to 2009 was 15k, and up as they got newer) I have lost 5k either way. But I consider myself still ahead because I didn't spend the extra 10k... that money has been in my pocket for whole time of ownership.

i have nothing against HD, to each their own. I demo day'd HD's after seeing the Vaquero but before riding it. I liked the bikes but shuddered at the thought of spending 20k+ on a MOTORCYCLE.... Crap, I shuddered at the thought of spending the 11k I did on a motorcycle LOL. Anyway I walked away with the only negative thought being the price, and owning what everyone else owned. I told myself I hope the Vaquero ride doesn't let me down, or I am gonna have to part with even more money and buy the HD.

Rode the Vaq, and I can't say there was any one thing I liked better about the HD... and I had fallen in love with the Vaq styling. And actually, if I would have bought the bike with the best engine I was impressed with, it would have been a Victory!

I am done here... finally :)

VBA #01898

Old 05-31-2012, 02:35 AM   #35
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomi1 View Post
No black Vaqueros for 2012 so in effect all Vaqueros have "colors" and here in Az. we have Cal emissions so my original quote is for our area, but you are right its not a $10,000 difference between them. When I bought my black Vaq in Jan of 2011 in order to get to the same engine size the comparable Harley was around $5000 diff and lacked a three year warranty but did have the option of ABS. Whatever, dollar for dollar the Kawi is a better financial deal even if the trade in isn't what we would like. I always thought that if you worried about re-sale you probably shouldn't be thinking about a toy.
oh I agree with you that the vaquero is a better deal and i also agree with you about buying a bike worrying about trade in. I buy a bike to ride and enjoy, the last thing on my mind is what it will be worth when I decide to get rid of it for another.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-31-2012, 07:32 AM   #36
Sr. Contributor

I'm on craigslist twice a day looking for deals for the family and friends.
I have more time than they do. I believe from what I have seen that the depreciation
is the same for all the bikes. What I mean by that is, if you pay $13K for a '02 Kawasaki
Nomad new and $17K for a '02 HD Road King new, 10 years later they will have depreciated.
Kelly Blue Book says the Kaw Nomad at 10 years is worth $5115 and the HD Road King is worth $9315.
So I guess if you pay a little more up front you should expect that same margin when you are going to sell. Just saying....
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 06-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
I LOVE MY VAQUERO!

Okay, I just had to scream it out to riders that understand!!!!!
I am SO in love with my new bike!!! I can't wait to get home from work each day to take a ride on it!!! I am learning more and more about it each time, and I'm slowly figuring out all the buttons and switches.

Last night was the first time I rode it after dark. Those gorgeous red-lite illuminated gauges on my dash against the pretty blue took my breath away!!!!!
I noticed people in passing vehicles were in awe of my pretty bike too!!

Every day I have felt pressured to give Chaz a turn riding it also...he loves it as much as I do!!!! Yesterday (with my permission, of course!!!) he rode it a friend's bike shop to show it off!!! He was there for over an hour with guys, just talking about the Vaquero and how sharp looking it is.

How do you ever get the HUGE grin off your face after riding one for the first time?!!!!!

I have to agree! I brought mine home on April 13th this year after lusting after it for 18 months and finally purchasing! It had 14 miles on it and I put 6 of them on last year when I test rode it! 75 days later I have 2350 miles on it and cant get the grin off of my face either. Accessories on mine ( so far) are; taller windshield, light bar, passenger footpegs and backrest.
I go to my garage just to sit on it and pretend. I love this bike!

2003 Vulcan Nomad...retired.
2011 1700 Vaquero, Black!

" Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!"

VROC# 21372 " Kickstand"
VBA #02119 "carhag2000"

Old 06-26-2012, 08:00 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhag2000 View Post
I have to agree! I brought mine home on April 13th this year after lusting after it for 18 months and finally purchasing! It had 14 miles on it and I put 6 of them on last year when I test rode it! 75 days later I have 2350 miles on it and cant get the grin off of my face either. Accessories on mine ( so far) are; taller windshield, light bar, passenger footpegs and backrest.
I go to my garage just to sit on it and pretend. I love this bike!
YIPPPEEEEE!!!! Another Vaquero lover!!!!
I have a little over 1,000 miles on mine now and I STILL have to take a double take (can't believe it's mine!) when I pass it in the garage!

I am discovering a small problem with my bright blue color though....people can easily spot me on the roads! I got my hair cut last Saturday and my hairdresser told me she spotted me on my bright blue bike a few weeks ago and tried to catch up....but couldn't!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 AM   #39

Well I am sorry that you got the 2nd fastest ( Black is the fastest!) color, but I have to admit it looks awesome! Im off today and as soon as I get a few chores done, I am going to go to the garage and clean mine then ride it. So what do you like best about your new ride? Ive narrowed my list down to EVERYTHING!

2003 Vulcan Nomad...retired.
2011 1700 Vaquero, Black!

" Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!"

VROC# 21372 " Kickstand"
VBA #02119 "carhag2000"

Old 06-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by carhag2000 View Post
Well I am sorry that you got the 2nd fastest ( Black is the fastest!) color, but I have to admit it looks awesome!

I'm sorry, but you're both incorrect... Red is the fastest color for the Vaquero, I thought everyone knew that...

I took today off, it's beautiful weather for a ride but I started tearing my Vaquero down at 6am this morning, the exhaust is completely off right now, she's getting her exhaust header wrapped, a PCV and new V&H slashies, still waiting on the Thunder intake but fast red is getting faster...

Old 06-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #41

I don't own a Vaquero, but I've been told by several people that green is the fastest color.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 06-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #42

lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I'm sorry, but you're both incorrect... Red is the fastest color for the Vaquero, I thought everyone knew that...

I took today off, it's beautiful weather for a ride but I started tearing my Vaquero down at 6am this morning, the exhaust is completely off right now, she's getting her exhaust header wrapped, a PCV and new V&H slashies, still waiting on the Thunder intake but fast red is getting faster...
I have enclosed the only view you guys with the "colored" Vaqueros ever get of black Vaqs and even then they have to stop so you can see them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new bike 006.jpg (88.1 KB, 17 views)

Old 06-26-2012, 10:25 AM   #43
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheriann View Post
YIPPPEEEEE!!!! Another Vaquero lover!!!!
I have a little over 1,000 miles on mine now and I STILL have to take a double take (can't believe it's mine!) when I pass it in the garage!

I am discovering a small problem with my bright blue color though....people can easily spot me on the roads! I got my hair cut last Saturday and my hairdresser told me she spotted me on my bright blue bike a few weeks ago and tried to catch up....but couldn't!
At the SW Rally in Kanab we were riding back from the Grand Canyon and I was at the back of the pack. Teri Conrad was several bikes ahead of me on her blue Vaquero, and man - is that color ever visible! It just stands out and really catches your eye. It almost glows in the sunlight.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #44
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomi1 View Post
I have enclosed the only view you guys with the "colored" Vaqueros ever get of black Vaqs and even then they have to stop so you can see them
Except at night.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 06-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #45
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
At the SW Rally in Kanab we were riding back from the Grand Canyon and I was at the back of the pack. Teri Conrad was several bikes ahead of me on her blue Vaquero, and man - is that color ever visible! It just stands out and really catches your eye. It almost glows in the sunlight.
More than psychedelic purple? Visibility is important.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11