Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-05-2008, 10:58 AM   #1

A question about shock adjustment...

I've had my 2004 1500 for over 3 yrs and never even thought about the shock adjustment.

I'm in the process of installing the Voyager trike kit to the bike now and it says to bring the shocks to 80% of MAX. Mine is just like it left the dealership. I see that they are set on 2 1/2 and no idea what the pressure is.

Could I get some some advise on what I should set them to? lol...And, also the method that I need to use to do it!
Thanks,
mike

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2008, 11:32 AM   #2
Advanced Member

There's a section in your owners manual on shock settings. These shocks take a "very" small amount of air volume to increase the pressure. Adding air with a compressor with 100psi in the tank will blow the seals out. If you don't have a hand pump to adjust the psi, run your compressor up to 45 psi & shut it off. Add air to the shock & check the pressure with a tire gauge. Take into account every time you remove the gauge from the shock you will release 5lbs psi. So if you start at 40psi, checking with the tire gauge will leave you at 35psi. Check it at 35 & you will have 30 when you remove the gauge.

For the record I run 20 psi & set the shock on 1 for solo & a 3 setting for doubled up. This gives me a very soft & plush ride.

Good luck on the trike kit. Give us a report on your project. I plan on triking mine next year for the wife, then I can look into buying the new Voyager....-Rich

Old 10-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

2.5???? HUH? In roman numerals there is I, II, III, and IIII... no halfs, and if you do the shocks must be after market.

A Hand pump only from HD or progressive, with a no loss gauge IS the only way to fill air into the shocks. I agree you will be wearing oil if you use a big shot of air from anything else..

I don't know what the air tops out at in the 04 bike, so i am not going to say what that is in 05 and up, which if wrong would just cause problems.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #4

macmac...you are correct about the 1/2 increment. It was the way I was looking at it, but I knew I wasn't going nuts about the regular numbers. Went back and doubled checked again and mine is marked in just plain numbers.

Thanks for the input, gentlemen. Guess I'll leave it set at 2 and locate a hand pump with a no-loss guage before I mess with the psi.
mike

Old 10-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #5

I got the Sunlit zero-loss pump

http://www.bizrate.com/bicycles_equi...857712202.html

and it works great on the shocks. Tends to be advertised for bicycles but is top quality construction. I bought it on line but not from the address above, that address was just the first Google search return, and about $10 less than I paid :-/. Only issue is the gauge goes from 0 to 400 psi so discerning 35 from 40, for example, takes some fine-scale reading.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #6

I guess I've been lucky. I use my 6hp compressor, but use a chuck with a dial gauge and just "tap" the trigger to get very little air. I fill it 5psi over what I want.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Advanced Member

By shutting the compressor off at 45psi, you won't blow the seals out because you can not put more that 45psi in the shock.

Old 10-05-2008, 05:56 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

redeye, That's great in theory, but a 6 horse comp won't have a accurate gauge for 45 psi probably. That comp might boot up as high as 180 psi.

Too much wallop at once isn't going to work out very well, and things could get messey fast.

The small local area inside the shocks at 45 psi would fill instantly.

The pump I carry is small enough to fit in the net of the left saddle bag and have room left over for many other things.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Advanced Member

I have a compressor with a pressure regulator, filter, etc. Lots of hose, plenty of air tools, tire inflation devices, and still went to HD a bought a zero loss pump. I would rather spend $40 on the correct tool, than $375 for a shock ($750 if you put on an air line kit) because of a mistake airing the shock(s) JMHO

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 10-06-2008, 09:28 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

KenBob, I hear that!... My comp has a 85 gallon tank and can run 2 orbital sanders at the same time, non stop. That sort of tool eats air in gobs..

It could be reduced, but i wouldn't trust myself to remeber each time to do so, seeking 10 to 14 psi which is my typical air setting.

I run a air line from side to side, and if i blew that off the fittings, I would loose shock oil in such away I couldn't measure the loss. I agree..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 AM   #11

I run an equalizer tube between the shocks which is hooked up to a gauge and filler stem. I have zero air loss for the past 6 months. I made a bracket for this set up and it is attached above the pass. floorboard, so it is easy access and I can always put exactly the psi I want in it and observe the gauge. I use a bicycle hand pump to fill. My set up for solo is 19 lbs and #2 dampening..Bdog

Old 10-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #12

A quick Thank You to all who have replied thus far! I have purchased a Zero Loss pump and located my manual that came with my 2004. It says my MAX psi is not to exceed 71 lbs. The manal for the trike kit suggests the rears be set at 80% of max...so I'm thinking 55 or 56 psi would be the ticket.

Now for the followup question... The Nomad manual says "Raise the rear wheel off the ground using a suitable jack." Is this necessary? Really?

mike

Old 10-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey911s
A quick Thank You to all who have replied thus far! I have purchased a Zero Loss pump and located my manual that came with my 2004. It says my MAX psi is not to exceed 71 lbs. The manal for the trike kit suggests the rears be set at 80% of max...so I'm thinking 55 or 56 psi would be the ticket.

Now for the followup question... The Nomad manual says "Raise the rear wheel off the ground using a suitable jack." Is this necessary? Really?
mike
Since I have yet to get a jack and the adapter, I aired mine on the kick stand. No ill effects. I suspect its just to relax the suspension and to get identical pressures in both shocks. If you can tell the difference of 1-2 psi, then you have spent some time on a race track or are really sensitive. Have fun!

VBA 00735
VROC 28102

2008 KVN MOB & NS

The only hand-held device that should be legal to use while driving is the STEERING WHEEL!

Old 11-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #14

Following up on what mickey991s has asked -- Has anyone checked the difference in the shock pressure between when the rear tire is off of the ground and when it isn't? Manual (for 1600) is a little confusing in that it gives a operating range of 0 to 43 PSI but then says, as mikey911s points out, that pressure in excess of 71 psi (supposedly with the tire off the ground) could blow the seals. What is the upper limit and does that apply when compressed or only when the tire of off the ground? If the pressure is set at 60 psi off the ground I'd expect it to be be a lot higher when the shock compresses under the weight of bike.

I can't get my rear tire off the ground so wondering what the difference in pressure is when the weight of the bike compresses the shock compared to when it is on off the ground. (This has been kicked around here before but we don't seem to get a solid answer. Thanks to anyone who can address this.

I've been running at 40 psi with the tire on the ground. Wondering how high I could go to stiffen it up and reduce bottoming out, which happens once in a while 2-up.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:26 PM   #15

Ells; for what it is worth...

I have a local mechanic that I trust (former bike-racer). I wanted a firmer ride when 2-up and loaded.

He set the shocks adjustment to the highest setting and put in 50 lbs pressure. I know the manual states less than this but he assured me that it would not be too much.

For reference; our combined body-weight is around 270. I carry loaded luggage on the rack and the bags filled with gear. Have been using that shock setting for a long time without any problems.

I also use a small (expensive) bike hand-pump to fill the shocks whenever needed --- which hasn't been too often at all.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417