Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #1

Vaquero brake pad replacement?

I have a 2011 vaquero that I bought last year with only 1700 miles on it but now I've got 13k on it and I'm starting to need maintenance. First it was a back tire and now it seems like I need brakes. I thought I was hearing some noise up front like a growling when I stopped and then I started hearing a squeak so I'm pretty sure I need brake pads. I don't even want to know what a shop wants to do this so I started looking at youtube vids and the front brakes seem easy enough but after seeing how much those rotors are I'm paranoid and I think I'm going to do the back too but that seems like it is going to be more complicated to get to the calipers? I just put a back tire on a couple of months ago and I also had some other major expenses come up so I'm getting pretty stressed out.

Can someone point me in the direction of the best pads for a good price? I've seen some as cheap as $18 (times two of course) but I don't want to be running into this problem all the time and risk ruining the rotor but again I just getting bled dry out here. Also how bad is this job front and back?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-12-2016, 01:07 AM   #2

Easy peasy. Don't be intimidated by it. Watch some YouTube videos. Think it though, and take your time. Save some money and learn how to maintain your own bike. This is a two or three on a scale of ten. You can do it!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Grasshopper Backrest
8" Windvest windshield

Old 07-12-2016, 05:10 AM   #3

Greetings,

Have had good results with these EBC pads... $30 ish a set
Front Pads - FA158HH, Rear Pads - FA213HH
Brakes are not a bad job, take your time, you'll do fine.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 AM   #4

Ebc double sintered brake pads

Pads are probably one of the easiest parts of the bike to replace. I use double sintered brake pads. The stopping power is great with these and they will not wear out as fast. I really like them. When you change the pads change the brake fluid at the same time and many be clutch fluid also at the same time easy jobs also to complete. Being a 2011 the fluids probably by now are quite dark in color and need a flush.

Allot of things on a bike are easy to do just take your time and do not rush the job and all will go well and You Tube is a great thing for brushing up on repairs also downloading a manual online is a great idea for the bike.