Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #1

Too much use wears a hole out

I am
going to park this here,because the technical dept dont want me post on their bit. You there TC I rode to my old mans today,to drop my trailer off.I reached down to turn the motor off,and no keys.Shit,i got all my keys on that ring.now i am pretty much screwed.All the implications dawned on me at once.Cant turn the bike off,or get petrol to get back home.And if i do,i cant get in my house/garage/shed anyway.Luckily,they fell down and came to rest between the radiator and the frame.Lesson i learned from this is.A much used crevice,no matter how well built,will wear out eventually,and greasing it dont help.I made this little clip on gizmo to stop it happening again.Fix the string to the "Choke" the other clip on end to the keys.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mick56; 01-09-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Old 11-23-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

I read the title and you scared me there Mick
But I think that was your intention
Well if you just put the ignition key on a ring by itself and the other 5 lbs of keys on a separate ring I don't think the key will fall out.
Also carry a spare key in your wallet or somewhere accessible on the bike.
Just trying to help
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-23-2017, 03:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I read the title and you scared me there Mick
But I think that was your intention
Well if you just put the ignition key on a ring by itself and the other 5 lbs of keys on a separate ring I don't think the key will fall out.
Also carry a spare key in your wallet or somewhere accessible on the bike.
Just trying to help
Hey mate.You said a while back,that you dont,and never will ever read my comment's.But here we are nipper.Just give me a kiss you old fart,and we will crack on

The key needs holding in on a worn ignition mate.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:39 PM   #4

Not true Mick, what I said was I don't read anything you post unless it is in the section I moderate.
This is the section I moderate. Soooooo, I have to keep an eye on you here.
When you post anywhere else, I consider you their problem
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
Not true Mick, what I said was I don't read anything you post unless it is in the section I moderate.
This is the section I moderate. Soooooo, I have to keep an eye on you here.
When you post anywhere else, I consider you their problem
Ahww shucks grandad. Stop being a grumpy bastard,and give me a kiss anyway.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2017, 01:47 AM   #6
Advanced Member

I leave my key in the ignition on a key fob. I learned my lesson right after I bought my Nomad. I started it in my shop and for some dopey reason, got off with it running and set the keys on my desk. I rode to a local watering hole, turned the bike off and realized I was screwed. Thankfully my wife was home so fetched the key and brought it to me. It's backed out of the ignition or fallen out.

And hey Mick, I saw a sailboat with double keels like yours and asked a sailing friend about it. He said they are very common in UK and are made to settle on the keels in areas where this is significant tides. Did you ever get yours out?

Old 11-24-2017, 07:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick56 View Post
Ahww shucks grandad. Stop being a grumpy bastard,and give me a kiss anyway.
That will never happen Mick
If we ever met in person, and you haven't done anything to piss me off in the mean time, and that's a big if, I would shake your hand.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
I leave my key in the ignition on a key fob. I learned my lesson right after I bought my Nomad. I started it in my shop and for some dopey reason, got off with it running and set the keys on my desk. I rode to a local watering hole, turned the bike off and realized I was screwed. Thankfully my wife was home so fetched the key and brought it to me. It's backed out of the ignition or fallen out.

And hey Mick, I saw a sailboat with double keels like yours and asked a sailing friend about it. He said they are very common in UK and are made to settle on the keels in areas where this is significant tides. Did you ever get yours out?
I never even got it in the water mate.I sold it for a nice little profit though.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #9

I've always heard that the two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it!

Old 11-24-2017, 03:31 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spondulas View Post
I've always heard that the two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it!
That's an old saying but I also run with the boating crowd up here, have one of my own, and there are some really dedicated boater out there. I just love being out on the water.

Old 11-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spondulas View Post
I would have liked to have kept it.But it was taking up room in my old mans yard.Boat storage around here is hard to come by,therefore expensive.Luckily,someone made me an offer i could'nt refuse,

Old 11-25-2017, 12:47 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Selling a boat one doesn't need in order to buy more bike stuff goes into the Good Things column.

Come to think of it, I might try to trade my boat for a bike of equal value in the spring. I have three good friends with very large sailboats, one a 54 foot cat, who are always asking me to go for a sail so it's not as if I need one either.