Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 AM   #1

Fuel pump - Mitsubishi?

Today I pulled the fuel pump from my 2008 1600 vulcan nomad to try and do something about the screaming. My bike has 70000 kilometers on it and this is the second pump its gone through. In Australia Kawasaki are asking $800.00 for this part. In US around $400.00. I dismantled and cleaned the filter part of pump as suggested by members in my previous thread. The result was excellent, no more screaming.

While in there i discovered the following things re this fuel pump.
- The base of the unit is labled as Kawasaki 49040-0008 It is then marked UCT3OKU9 then 8903 The part is also stamped with a mitsubishi diamond. This lableing is on the base of the complete unit on the lower external sump.

Once you get inside the actual pump is clearly labled mitsubishi UC T30 followed by the numbers 08212.

The plastic bowl section of the pump is stamped with the numbers 0808181

It appears the actual pump is indeed mitsubishi and can be purchased in australia for $100.00. What also seems clear is that it is not the pump that fails, (ever heard of mitsubishi fuel pumps failing in 30000 kilometers?.) its the plastic housing surrounding it. It simply collects gunk which restricts the flow of fuel causing the pump to work too hard and so it squeels. Alternatively there is a pressure valve on the pump which may also cause the sqeeling as it squirts by passed fuel back into the tank. Either way it's the plastic part that fails.

The fact that the pump stops squeeling once the reserviour has been cleaned demonstrates that its not the pump that fails unless you let it go too long.

I'm going to chase up a few pumps of the type mentioned above and see if they come as a complete assembly from mitsubishi. If so I'll let you know.

I loce the bike and intend to keep it for many years to come but as you can see I'm dissapointed by this fuel pump system. These bikes are designed to tour and should be reliable. If there is a problem with this component then it should be priced as a service item so that we can factor its replacement on a regular basis into the running of the bike.

What do others think? Am I being too hard or is it reasonable to expect better life out of an integral part? I've had plenty of other bikes with electric fuel pumps that easily outlast this part.

Login or Register to Remove Ads