Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #16

If You were doing the TAT then I can understand the worries of running out of gas in some areas. But in cruising America's highways I would find it hard to believe that there would not be a gas station within 50 miles anywhere. Best way to solve this dilemma would be to stop and fill up in a fashion that allows you to never run out of fuel. Problem solved ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #17

Greetings OldSchool,
Not sure what TAT is. I blame the southern Utah experience on my not knowing the area. Had I known, I would have topped off at that station when the clock showed 33 miles on the tank. After all, that was a 1/3 of the tank on the '01 Classic. Since then, on trips where secondary and back roads in rural wide open spaces, a 1 gallon can accompanies me.
Hope it has enjoyed the miles!

MBarr, I too would like to know the truth about running a FI bike out of gas. Have read the stories like others. Not sure how far it could or should be pushed.

Have gone 32 miles with the low fuel light on. That is the current personal record while managing speed, throttle, etc.
When the low fuel light does come on, these are the steps taken.
Reset trip meter A or B, to start tracking how far into "RESERVE" we've traveled.
Reset AVG MPG gauge, after 5 miles, use as measuring/estimating for range.
My distorted, failing memory says that the low fuel light comes on at .75 (+/-) gallons remaining. After 5 miles, take the average MPG number and calc my estimated range.
Using 7/10th as the limiter, so as not to push the FI too close to the limit. For example, if the AVG MPG GUESS-TO-METER showed 45.x MPGs, then 7 x 4.5= 31.5 miles.
So far, have gotten to gas before or within that estimated number. The 32 mile personal best was an intentional push. Did that last year before the big summer trip...

Sorry, rambled long enough.

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 07-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #18

Have Air Pressure in my tires up to 41psi. Put 12 psi into my rear shocks. Fillup at E, Cruise set @73....

Running past empty accomplishes 2 things, overheats your fuel pump, fuel pump is cooled by the fuel pumping, endangers the Throttle body and Injectors by picking up the crap at the very bottom of tank.This is where about a 1/4 of all fuel pumps go out at. That yellow light is there to catch your attention while riding......

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 07-22-2018, 10:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Running past empty accomplishes 2 things, overheats your fuel pump, fuel pump is cooled by the fuel pumping, endangers the Throttle body and Injectors by picking up the crap at the very bottom of tank.This is where about a 1/4 of all fuel pumps go out at. That yellow light is there to catch your attention while riding......

Thank You.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 07-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #20

If'n I were low on fuel with my Ivanized Voyager - I would not drive above about 2300 on the tach. 6th gear at 1800 RPM's get's me some pretty good mpgs. I wonder if removing the windscreen and afixing it behind the rider would be worth it?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #21

Quote:
If'n I were low on fuel with my Ivanized Voyager - I would not drive above about 2300 on the tach. 6th gear at 1800 RPM's get's me some pretty good mpgs. I wonder if removing the windscreen and afixing it behind the rider would be worth it?
Interesting thought ( pull the windshield) You just made me look in the road trip tool kit. Good news is I'm Covered. In this day and age it is tough to HITCH HIKE, to get anywhere. Not like when I grew up. Could be the difference of a few miles I guess?? thinking back a few weeks ago, "mick" , Our biker brother from over pond told the story of the 73 year old walking because he put decel fuel in his bike. And he walked like 5 miles with no one picking him up, till Mick came along to help.

On A lighter side the 5 miles I walked to school when I was younger was in snow this ( arms stretched out) deep and Up hill both ways, (Minnesota) = DON'T CHA KNOW

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 07-23-2018 at 08:41 PM.

Old 07-28-2018, 06:20 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
On A lighter side the 5 miles I walked to school when I was younger was in snow this ( arms stretched out) deep and Up hill both ways, (Minnesota) = DON'T CHA KNOW
UFDA, yu bethca. Went to that same school, based on the walk you described.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #23

When I ride alone which is not too often, I never pass a station in unfamiliar territory as soon as I hit 100 miles on the tank. When riding with others, I have a $4 hand siphon in my bag. When desperation hit me one time, which led to the above precautions, I tried to not rev hard and to keep throttle as steady as possible in as high a gear as possible. I put 5.1 gallons into a 5.3 tank!

Old 09-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
Brilliant, Excellent strategy. Logging that one into the back of my brain. Hope I never need it.

Not wanting to start a new thread, I still have this question.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU RUN A " FI" BIKE OUT OF GAS?? And How do you recover?
I have a 2002 Nomad FI and I accidentally ran it out of gas. I was carrying a 1-gallon can in the saddlebag. I stopped, added fuel to the main tank, started the bike and went on my way. I think others are correct in saying that the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank so I try to avoid running it out of gas. Also, I usually fill the tank before parking it to reduce the amount of water condensation from humid air (in Georgia) in the gas tank.

To stretch miles out of remaining fuel, drive in top gear about 45 mph. The aerodynamic drag increases exponentially as the speed increases, so high speeds will reduce your mpg.

Old 12-10-2018, 06:00 PM   #25
Advanced Member

With the Ivan flash, in 6th gear at cruising speed and staying consistent with the throttle like say, 70 with the cruise on with the Vaq I am getting about 43 mpg with a 5.3 gallon tank. Very easy to get 160-170 miles on a fill before pulling off for more.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 12-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #26

i just have to say this --- in 50 + years of auto repair i have not seen very many fuel pumps fail compared to other parts -- more relays than pumps
the water and dirt in any tank is always at the bottom no matter how much fuel u have and the fuel pick up tube is always at the bottom so letting the fuel level get low is not a problem --- if u have enough fuel to run the engine u have enough to cool the pump --- think about the number of people that never fill up and their pumps dont burn up any more than yours do -- how many of u have had a pump die due to low fuel level --- the ones i have replaced have been due to extreme miles or badly contaminated fuel
if u run out with a fi machine just add more and cycle the key a few times [dont crank it] and the pump will pressureize the system then it will start ---- much easier than on a carb engine when u have to crank it to run the pump to fill the carb before it will start
the engineers are ahead of us on this on this -- believe it or not

Old 12-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #27

I ran my bike out of gas this past summer, I thought I could make it to the next town, but it was a little further than I thought. I went 210 miles on the tank before it quit on me.
Luckily when it stopped the gas station was in sight about a quarter mile away.

Nothing happens when you run out of gas other than the motor stops. Put in some fuel, and they start right up like nothing happened.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-31-2018, 09:52 PM   #28

What really gets me, touring bikes that only get less than 200 per tank. If I'm gonna ride, and really not worry about fuel....there are places that will make you a custom tank for your bike for about $550....have had several custom built. 5 to 5.5 gallons don't look bad....if you get a 6, get on where they raise the top, widen it out slightly toward the rear....
Even after installing a bigger capacity tank, I still carried a contour can in the bag, just for emergency.
Had custom tanks on my ElectraGlide, totalling just a touch shy of 6 gallons....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 01-03-2019, 12:19 AM   #29

I still have my Rotopax 3 gallon container, which I always had with me on my previous bike, but I haven't figured out a way to mount it on the Voyager. I did have it mounted on the HF Tag-along trailer on my long trips this summer. I never had to use it (on the Voyager), but it provided a lot of peace of mind in some long stretches between gas stations.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE WILLIE View Post
i just have to say this --- in 50 + years of auto repair i have not seen very many fuel pumps fail compared to other parts -- more relays than pumps
the water and dirt in any tank is always at the bottom no matter how much fuel u have and the fuel pick up tube is always at the bottom so letting the fuel level get low is not a problem --- if u have enough fuel to run the engine u have enough to cool the pump --- think about the number of people that never fill up and their pumps dont burn up any more than yours do -- how many of u have had a pump die due to low fuel level --- the ones i have replaced have been due to extreme miles or badly contaminated fuel
if u run out with a fi machine just add more and cycle the key a few times [dont crank it] and the pump will pressureize the system then it will start ---- much easier than on a carb engine when u have to crank it to run the pump to fill the carb before it will start
the engineers are ahead of us on this on this -- believe it or not
We're not dealing with cars here....

Look at one of the installs here on the boards....Theres been alot of pump installs....but then again we're running 18 year old bikes, too! Don't happen often, but enough....
Pump not cooled by fuel? Look at pickup location....
http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showt...install&page=4

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 01-06-2019 at 05:41 PM.