Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-19-2009, 02:44 PM   #1

Sad day today

:'(
Today we had to say goodbye to 8 of our colleagues. This is the second round of layoffs in our office this year. We started the year withalmost 30 people in our small software engineering group. We are now down to 12. Only five of which are engineers. We were informed that along with those layoffs they will no longer be selling our product but will be replacing it with something from another group. We were also told that none of us would be moved over to that new product but instead are expected to stay and support our install base until they decide to close our shop.

I am the newest member of the team and have somehow survived both rounds. I attribute that only to the fact that my salary isn't as large as most of the others here so canning me doesn't help the bottom line as much as someone else.

I am now in a hard search for the next right thing before they come around again and turn the lights off on us.

Blessings go out to all who have gone through what my friends are now experiencing. I cannot imagine how scary it must be and I can only pray and thank God that twice I have been spared.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2009, 02:54 PM   #2

Sad day today

Hang in there OP and keep looking. It's always better to have the upper hand before the time may come. So many get their slips with no warning. I had an engineer friend who showed up for work one Monday morning at a very large corporation. His key wouldn't fit his office door lock. They had changed the locks on his and several other engineers doors over the weekend. This was a cowardly method in my opinion. To top it off, it was 2 weeks before Christmas when this happend a few years ago.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 11-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Sad day today

I learned NEVER stop looking for a new job even when you think you have safe employment! I hope you survive the layoffs OP....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 PM   #4

Sad day today

A long, long time a ago a person told me to pay close attention to those things I can control about my actions at work, and not worry too much about what I cannot control.

He told me that people will watch what you do with your time; how good you do your job compared to others; your attitude; your dependability, and last but not least your willingness to be an asset to the company and the desire to have a career -- rather than just a job.

Well... I did what he said, and at one time when I was basically laid-off, I was called back by the firm within 30-days to come back to a better position. I was told it was because they had been watching me work and didn't want to lose someone like me.

Now... I am not saying this to brag or to blow-my-horn... but rather to suggest that sometimes these things are noticed and can make a difference in your future. They did in mine. This older man's words held true.

To this day... I give all the new-hires the same speech he gave me... and then pay attention to them and take notes. If it comes down to the day when someone has to go; or whether I give a recommendation or referral... I know who is getting the nod, and who isn't.

While you said that your pay-scale may have been the reason for you missing two layoffs... I would have to wonder if it weren't for other reasons... which could be that you are an asset they don't want to lose if they can avoid it.

Keep your head up OP and your nose to the grindstone... and you more than likely will find yourself landing on your feet.

Good luck to you.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-19-2009, 09:53 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Sad day today

When layoffs occur it surely is a scary thing. BD is correct in what he stated. Always have a current updated resume and look to see what is available. Keep your interview skills sharpened. Apply for jobs even though you may not want them. Sharpen those skills.

Good luck to you and I hope you continue making the cut....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2009, 11:19 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Sad day today

What GL said is very true. I have always given my best and that is one of the reasons I was only laid off twice during my 45 years of work.

The last job that I retired from seemed to be different. It seemed the people that did the least stayed the longest. The biggest thing that would get you fired was missing days at work. I had almost perfect attendance in my nine and a half years with Siemens.

I certainly hope you are able to hang on. Times are hard now and it sure isn't a time to be looking for work. I remember a time when a resume wasn't required. You had a job interview and you told the personnel person what you could do. You were hired based on what you told people. This was a time when you could borrow money with a handshake.

I saw an ad on television the other day for Avon. The lady said, I can't be fired, I can't be laid off. It is my business. Might want to check that out. Only a little Humor OP.

Gene

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181