Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

How much play in the rear pulley bearings....

Good day,
Yesterday started having a noise on my '16 Vulcan Voyager 1700. It's like a rattling sound when the bike is under heavy load in high gear. I thought it was the hitch I had left in my receiver as I just moved so I had to haul my trailer, it does rattle when no trailer is on. Removed, rode to work today but the noise was still there. I had noticed some belt squeak going through the city to get to work the last couple days as well. Tonight I thought I'd better look at it, check to make sure front pulley was still secure etc. What I did find is that I have 1/8"+ play when I rock the pulley back and forth from top to bottom or side to side and this is with the belt on. I know it is a cushion drive and there will be some slight play but 1/8" or better tells me I have failing bearings. I just thought I'd see what the gurus thought before I call the dealer as it is on warranty..

Just so no one has to ask... when the bike was only a couple days old I backed off the belt to about 10mm belt deflection and made sure wheel was aligned the best it could be. Plus I did a tire change last season and rechecked alignment and belt deflection then. I've had lots and worked on lots of belt drives so I think I know what I'm doing.... Bike only has 16,285 km or 10,178 miles.

Thoughts?
Ace.

Login or Register to Remove Ads