Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-05-2019, 06:06 AM   #1

Question Why do YOU ride a motorcycle?

What brought you to motorcycling? What made you an enthusiast? Is it in the blood?

In the blood for me.
My dad has been riding motorcycles *forever*. There are pictures of me at 9 months being posed on the seat of his Sportster. Was riding on the gas tank at 3. Had trail 90's and YZ's as a kid, when I turned 20 bought my first street bike (KZ440).

How did you get started? What drew you to two-wheels?

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #2

Also grew up on the gas tank of my Dad's motorcycle, then had a quad until age 16 when cars took priority. My Dad actually sold his motorcycle just before my 16th birthday to discourage me from ever riding, so it was my divorce that got me on two wheels. Incidentally, I now ride with my ex's second ex-husband who also took to two wheels after she did the dirt on him. I think we should consider calling our group the Ex-Men...
- V&H slip-ons
- Triple hi/low beam H4 headlights
- Desert Dawgs
- Half the F&S Catalog

Old 05-05-2019, 05:04 PM   #3

My two older brothers and I started putting Briggs motors on bicycles when I was about 10............pop bought us a Mitsubishi Silver Pigeon when I was about 12. Didn't take us long to destroy that. I bought my first bike (a dirt bike) when I was 21. I've had a bike most of the time since then, although I did take about a 10 year break when I was chasing sprint cars. Probably got another year or two of long distance riding and then it will be just a bike to putt around with. Sucks getting old.

Old 05-06-2019, 10:26 AM   #4

Because it is fun, I meet a bunch of nice people, I take a lot of trips and see a lot of country I would never have done in a car and it is my therapy.
My avatar is my Dad on his 1927 Indian.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #5

I was introduced to riding at ten, on my cousin's Honda Mini Trail. Against my mother's wishes, Dad bought me a shiny new '75 Honda Z50 the next summer and I drove the wheels of it. Two years later I'd outgrown it and graduated up to an XR75. All my friends had one too and we terrorized the trails for several years.

I became more into cars and girls in my later teens but I ended up with an XR500 in my twenties. A few years later the street bike bug bit me and I got a Yamaha FZ600. Had a lot of fun on that little crotch rocket until I got married and sold my toys.

I always told my wife that I'd have another bike one day, but life happens and it wasn't until about 5 years ago I started making some serious noises about getting one. I finally wore her down a couple of years ago and ended up with my VStar 1100 Classic. Love that bike and put almost 17,000 miles on it in two years (it's now for sale but I still have it). But we discovered my wife loves riding with me and while the Star had decent power solo, we needed a little more for two-up touring. So last week I picked up my new to me Nomad. Hope to get out and do some longer tours this summer!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-06-2019, 09:18 PM   #6
Advanced Member

My dad bought my brother, which is 22 months older, a used Sears mini bike while I was spending the night with a cousin. When I got home I was told to stay off of it cause I was to young and would probably hurt myself,,,,, so says the man that had me plowing fields on a B John Deere at the same time. Granted I was only 4 months away from my 6th birthday. Was never to young for farm work. Anyway he worked second shift and when he was gone to work I learn how to start that Tecumseh 3hp engine, twist the throttle and jump on as it took off. After daddy figured out no matter how much he whipped me with the belt for not doing as he said he left me to it. I have been a 2 wheel fanatic sense that first day. 51 years later I still love the feel of the open ride and the rush of leaning on the throttle coming out of a corner. I can ride the bike and then drive a car on the same roads and the sights are just not the same.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #7

Smokier, your mention of the KZ440 brought back memories. I bought a KZ440 LTD out of the crate in probably 1985, it was a 84 model. First new and only new bike I have ever owned. Started riding when I was 17 when a couple of friends and I decided it would be cool. First bike was a KZ125 in Kawasaki green. Bought it for $100. The guy wanted $150 for it but it kept stalling after you started it. I noticed the fuel selector was turned to reserve and told him that since it keeps stalling I would only give him $100. He took it, I turned the fuel selector switch and away I rode. The adventure began!
Auxillary Lights
Kuryakyn Longhorn Highway Pegs
Mustang Seat

VBA #: 3681

Old 05-07-2019, 12:17 PM   #8
Top Contributor

I ride because I have no choice. The bug bit me hard 50 years ago and I still carry the disease. I thought I was cured a couple of times but the symptoms came back after a few months and then another bike came along.

My family know the disease is terminal and have stopped trying to find a cure.

Old 05-08-2019, 12:35 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

I haven't in a while. I've had a few surgeries in the last 8 months and I am second guessing if it's a good idea. I just don't know anyone that has had multiple fusions that rides. Doctors will just say no.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #10

Great stories gang!

Old 05-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #11

As A kid my neighbors had a Honda Mini trail and a Honda 90 Cub. Many hours of fun and learning. Bought my first bike at 16 Suzuki RM125. Learned the dirt, and actually took it to a race once. Luck to be alive after not finishing ( fouled Plug). I was walking funny for a week afterwards.
First street bike was A Kawasaki KH triple 2 stroke 400. Damn fast, screaming fast.
All these years later, none of the kids I grew up with owns a bike, Just me.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 05-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #12

Started out as fun, adrenaline rush, has ended up as therapy for me.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:42 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I ride because I have no choice. The bug bit me hard 50 years ago and I still carry the disease. I thought I was cured a couple of times but the symptoms came back after a few months and then another bike came along.

My family know the disease is terminal and have stopped trying to find a cure.

Me too, mates. 44 years ago.

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:30 PM   #14
Advanced Member

50 years, still loving motorcycles. People ask me all the time, Are you not scared of dying on that thing with all this distracted driving now days? I tell them that I have a bigger risk of dying from my job with a heat stroke or a heart attack(construction sites). I can see most people that are distracted and react to it...…….. I had lot rather die doing something I love.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 05-23-2019, 02:42 PM   #15

Keeps me sane. Riding lets the stress and worries of the day fall away. My wife loves to ride so it is something that we do together that keeps us close. Been riding for 40 years now and been through many bikes and many miles. Here in NC i ride year round every dqy unless the weather is horrible.
Ivan's flash and lots of other stuff

"God is good even when we aren't!!"