Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-02-2008, 10:52 PM   #1

Experienced Riders Course

I want to look into this: http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...p?locale=en_US

The regular MSF people seem overwhelmingly busy around here. This may be a good alternative.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-03-2008, 11:23 PM   #2

Don't know anything much about that course, other than what you might read about it on the safety site Dan recommends on another thread here (Moderator there doesn't like it.) One thing for sure is the MSF courses are busy in the Denver area too. Had to get on a couple month waiting list a few years ago when I did mine. I wonder if there is a unmet demand here the should be addressed by someone. I'm thinking about a refresher now as encouraged by the insurance company, and thinking what the parking lot course would be like on the Nomad as compared to when I did it with a VN800.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:11 AM   #3

The moon and stars have aligned and I finally got a chance to sign up for an experienced course. I'll be there Sat for 5 hours training. http://www.texasmtc.com/index.html I'm rather excited

Old 03-04-2008, 10:04 AM   #4

Quote:
The moon and stars have aligned and I finally got a chance to sign up for an experienced course. I'll be there Sat for 5 hours training. http://www.texasmtc.com/index.html I'm rather excited
Report back afterwords huh?

Old 03-04-2008, 10:48 AM   #5

I would like to take a course to brush up a bit simaler to the one Wolfman posted, or the Ride like a Pro course. Ive been riding bikes close to 40 years now and for me its the weight of the bike that makes me nervous in tight situations. When I had dirtbikes there wasn't much I couldn't do with it, and feel in control. The bike I rode before my Nomad was only 440 lbs and I could go through the twistys and make U turns effortlessly, not many guys could keep up with me on it. My Nomad is about 850 lbs in its present state, and that makes a huge difference in the handling. I find its like comparing a sports car to a dump truck. I could most likely handle it better than I think in a tight situation, but the thought of dropping it makes me cringe, whereas I didn't care about dropping my dirtbikes, so I don't push the envelope like I used to. Plus age doesn't make the pain go away as quick as it used to when you practice these manuevers. However if you do intend on taking an advanced riding class, you would be best to do it on a heavy bike so you can learn what it feels like in certain positions. The lean angles are far greater than most of us ever allow the bike to go, getting comfortable with that feeling is a great part of having confidence on a big bike. As soon as the weather warms up here I will go to a parking lot and practice some tight circles.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #6

Quote:
However if you do intend on taking an advanced riding class, you would be best to do it on a heavy bike so you can learn what it feels like in certain positions. The lean angles are far greater than most of us ever allow the bike to go, getting comfortable with that feeling is a great part of having confidence on a big bike. As soon as the weather warms up here I will go to a parking lot and practice some tight circles.
I will be taking the course on my Nomad - much safer than my wife's new 900 custom :)

Old 03-04-2008, 01:09 PM   #7

As a current MSF rider coach in New Hampshire I'd like to chime in on this.

The experienced class is normally for riders that have a year of riding and at least a thousand miles under their belts. I'm sure that part covers all of you.....I hope.
Some states may require you to take the basic course first. ( not a bad thing)

The experienced class requires you to use your own bike. Be sure you do....don't use someone elses smaller bike. Doing that erases what you're trying to accomplish.

Your bike must be under current registration and inspection. In addition the ridercoaches will check out your bike to be sure it is safe. You have to have insurance too.

Riders Edge ( Harley davidson)
This is a form of the experienced class. It's the Harley davidsons version. I would ask if the instructors are certified by the MSF. If they want to know what the MSF is...run.
My attitude is any rider training is better than nothing.
If you want any other info, let me know.

vin

Old 03-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #8

Signed up for the experienced rider course in May. Hope the weather breaks by then. LOL

Old 03-05-2008, 03:34 PM   #9

I'm sure the instruction is good

(quote from the website) "The course uses the proven curriculum of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) Experienced RiderCourseSM Suite, with some enhancements developed by Harley-Davidson enthusiasts. Participants use their own motorcycles, or rentals, to enhance the following skills: control at low speeds, risk management, limited space maneuvers, cornering judgment, stopping quickly in a curve, swerving and stopping quickly, multiple curve maneuvers and surmounting objects. Upon completion of the course, students will earn a Skilled Rider Course pin and patch set, as well as a completion card from the MSF...."

I wonder what the cost is though. The regular MSF course is usually around 60-70 bucks.

Old 03-06-2008, 12:19 AM   #10

I think the Ride Like A Pro course is $125.00 with your own bike or approx $300.00 with their bike. Im not sure about other schools pricing.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 AM   #11

$80 for mine

Old 03-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #12

basic in NH is $110

Old 03-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #13

MSF Experienced rider course in Ohio is $25.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM   #14

I signed up for the harley one today. The class is on April 12. Lunch is included and class size is limited to 8 riders cost is 100 dollars.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:03 PM   #15

Basic in Florida ran me $225.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD