Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #1

Rider Killed This Morning

A motorcycle rider was killed this morning, and his wife injured, in an accident on the Mississippi River Bridge here in Baton Rouge, LA. It happened at 8 AM. It was on the eastbound side. I was going to work on the westbound side. I saw a car and an 18 wheeler that had stopped. At ton of police cars and EMS. Traffic was backed up for miles in both directions. I also saw a blue tarp covering a body. I saw EMS attending to someone on the side. I did not see the bike. I don't know why. This has affected my whole day. My wife and I have crossed that bridge many,many times on the Nomad. Here's the link for the news report.

http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/92779549.html

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-04-2010, 01:07 PM   #2

Sorry to hear about this. I was reading an article in the local newspaper yesterday about Nationwide motorcycle fatalities decreasing and Louisiana MC fatalities are increasing. The only thing they could attribute to the numbers is that the jobless rate is lower in LA than in most of the nation. This results in less recreational riding in other parts of the country. Also, the state sponsored motorcycle training had been suspended for over 6 months. This put more untrained first time riders on bikes here. We have had several MC fatalities in Terrebonne and Lafourche parishes this year. Each one I don't read about is brought to my attention by non riding friends and relatives.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #3

I did not know that they had suspended the motorcycle training program. That's insane ! The last I heard of it, they had moved it from Dept. of Education to Dept. of Public Safety. I think it should be a requirement to get a motorcycle endorsement. I see far too many riders, especially kids on crotch rockets, riding improperly, taking unnecessary chances, and even riding in t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. I'm sure you've ridden across this bridge. It is a steep bridge. You can't really hit the brakes hard, or you're in trouble. I fear that's what this guy was doing. Probably came over the crest of the bridge going too fast, and paniced. Very sad.
State Police has road blocks for checking insurance, inspection stickers, and DWI, they should start checking for motorcycle endorsements. Get the untrained rider off the road until he/she complies. Sorry about the rambling. Just gets my goat.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:47 PM   #4

I my memory serves me right, that's when the training stopped for 6 months, during the move from Dept. of Ed to DPS. It's back up and running now. I've seen the antics on the sport bikes around here. I'm surprised that more accidents aren't occuring. Most of the older riders that crash around here are driving under the influence. When you head up I-49 just North of Lafayette, take a look at the Biker Barn on your right. You will see well over 100 bikes there and most are juicing it up for hours at a time.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 05-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #5

Oh, I know. I there are several bars in Ascension parish with parking lots full at "Bike Night". On highway 16 at the Livingston/St. Helena Parish line ther are a couple of well known biker watering holes. Bike fatalies are nit uncommon out that way. I don't understand how folks think they can ride a bike and drink. Unbelieveable.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #6

Thats too bad, but you never know whats going to happen some days. I guess youll here eventually if he was experienced or a novice rider.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

That is really tragic. Sorry to hear about it. If you find out anything else about why he locked his brakes be sure and let us know.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-04-2010, 11:09 PM   #8

Will do. There probably will be more in tomorrow's paper.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:11 AM   #9

Sad thing to hear this morning prayers for the family and friends.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #10

The article in this morning's paper concerning this accident said that they were riding a 2007 Harley Ultra Glide. They were on the downside and locked the brakes for unknown reasons. The bike fell on it's right side, and hit the outside retaining wall. The wife was thrown from the bike, and had moderate injuries. If they hit the outside retaining wall, she's lucky she didn't end up in the Miss. River. I think what happened is that he didn't let up on the throttle when he went over the crest of the bridge, and he didn't down shift. By the time he realized this, he was travelling at a pretty good clip, and overcompensated. It's a fairly steep bridge, and you really have to watch your speed on the downside.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:01 PM   #11

so he locked up his brakes and went down into a wall is what the articule says but no reason on why he locked them up something made him do it he might have been out of energy 62 year old with a 30 year old wife i know id have no energy

National Rally 2009 - Custer, SD
NorthCentral Regional Rally 2010 - Prairie du Chien, WI
National Rally 2011 - Maggie Valley, NC

Old 05-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #12

i went over that bridge last weekend for the first time ever and it is tricky at the end if you have never been on it, but there is no need to hit the brake,, wonder what happened

Old 05-07-2010, 08:54 PM   #13

We had one killed last night just a few miles from here. 17 years old on a sportbike and had been riding for just a few months. From what the newspaper article stated, he was a very popular and well liked kid who always rode the bike safely. He ran off of the highway near where I work, hit a tree and was ejected into the canal. He was pulled from the canal but was DOA at the hospital. I can't imagine what his parents are going through at the moment. First bike.....a sport bike.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482

Old 05-08-2010, 10:37 PM   #14

I can tell you for a fact that my parents would not have had a problem telling me "no", and they did! The rage when I was in high school was the Honda 50. I wanted one in the worst way. I begged, pleaded, conived, but the answer was still "no". You know, looking back, I'm glad I was told "no". I was far too immature to handle that responsibility!

Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #15

Same here. My cousin had a Honda Cub 50 and I would sneak rides on it. He then graduated to a CB 160. That thing was quick back in those days. I started asking my parents for a bike at 15 and they always said "NO". They didn't have a problem giving that answer either.

110 cu in SE

Rinehart 4" slip ons
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

VBA #482