Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-08-2008, 10:00 PM   #1

MSF Advanced Course

Anyone taken the MSF Advanced course? If so, what do you do in the course, and do you think it really helps ?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-09-2008, 03:55 AM   #2

MSF Advanced Course

I think there are at least 3 threads on the safety board here titled "experienced riders course" where people have chimed in. I took one through Harley Davidson. They emphasized the basic skills like emergency braking, swerving, head and eyes and cornering and I think it helps alot

Old 07-09-2008, 09:54 AM   #3

MSF Advanced Course

I was curious. I'm thinking of taking it in the fall, now that I have about 7,000 miles under my belt. Thanks, wolfman. Much appreciated.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:56 PM   #4

MSF Advanced Course

Just like Wolfman said emergency braking, swerving, things like that. No matter how many years someone been riding, you will pick up some new skills and revisit some old one. Took my in Hot Springs, Ark. and it was great
The Nomad is heavy but you will be able to swing it around and stop it on a dime. ( some really tight swerving techniques, with saddlebags almost touching the pavement, floorboards will )
You will be surprised what you and the Nomad can do wit a little practice.
Take the advanced course you will love it.

Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #5

MSF Advanced Course

Thanks, OM. I'll have to wait until January. They're not offering the course here until then. Seems summer is a tad too hot down here. Wusses !!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #6

MSF Advanced Course

bankerfrank.....most of the manuvers you do in the exp are very similar to the basic, BUT, you use your own bike which makes a huge difference!!
taking any riding course is a good thing to do....in my opinion.

vin

Old 07-10-2008, 11:42 AM   #7

MSF Advanced Course

I absolutely agree. I am going to take the course in January. It can't do anything but help.

Old 07-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #8

MSF Advanced Course

I'm not sure that I'd learn anything new from another go around of a riders course, but it would probably still be helpful in getting me out of my present mindset, and into a more cautious one. That's worth something right there.

We all get into a same Ole, same Ole, frame of mind doing the same thing over and over. Get perhaps too comfortable with our ride. I'm not meaning that we are all not being vigilant about scanning etc. But who isn't a little more vigilant right after a deer jumps out in front of us?

Another go around for seasoned riders in the Advanced course might help get us in a better frame of mind, similar to how a deer jumping out does.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:38 PM   #9

MSF Advanced Course

I totally agree. It's good to " refocus" your mindset once in a while. I tend to become complacent at times, and I need a good slap on the head to get regrounded. I don't think a responsible driver of any type of transportation could ever not want to continually improve, as far as safety goes.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #10

MSF Advanced Course

Just curious, any of you guys ever take halved tennis balls, make an obstacle course in a parking lot, and practice on your bike ?

Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #11

MSF Advanced Course

I've got a mesh bag full of tennis balls cut in half. I haven't used them in a while but they're good for parking lot practice because you can run over them easily and they're not as bulky as dealing with cones

Old 07-14-2008, 06:51 PM   #12

MSF Advanced Course

A guy on a Honda forum I used to haunt told me about how he used to do drills every so often. Just curious as to how many here did the same. I don't think it's a bad idea at all. My only problem is that when I get on the bike, I want to ride, not do drills. They would be a great thing to do under a covered area ( if that's possible ) on a rainy or very cold day.

Old 07-15-2008, 11:50 AM   #13

MSF Advanced Course

I don't do it nearly as often as I should. I only do it a few times a year.

It would be more fun to do it with another rider.