Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #1

Help for cold hands

In spite of the fact that we enjoy mild winters in South Texas, we do routinely get into the mid 30's for lows. Lucille is my work transportation any time there isn't liquid falling from the skies, in addition to pleasure riding whenever possible. I have been able to gear up sufficiently to keep out the cold everywhere except my hands. After trying several types of gloves and not liking them for different reasons I decided to look into wind deflectors. I found and ordered some from National Cycle and after two weeks they arrived yesterday. I mounted them last night. The install was almost as easy as it gets, removing the mirrors and inserting the brackets under the nut when reinstalling them. Since we are currently enjoying upper 70's for temps wasnt able to do a true-condition test but in riding without gloves today I found they definitely cut the wind without looking too unGodly.

Here are a couple pics of the installed deflectors. Sorry for the poor quality, my cell phone doesn't take the greatest pics.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #2

Help for cold hands

We have been using them for several years. Really nice in the rain also.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:34 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Help for cold hands

look really nice lw, what did they set you back? your right i can keep all parts warm except hands. i have bought all types of gloves from gaunlets(fox creek) to snowmobile to double sets and still hands get cold in 2-3 miles. Hope they work might try a pr for next winter. :-)

Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #4

Help for cold hands

How about a link. I've been wanting those.

I ride in the winter and the windchill at 70mph when its 20 degrees is bad on the hands.

I'm able to put enough leather on everything else to stay warm, but my hands never are even with good gloves.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Help for cold hands

Use a pair of close fitting cotton liner gloves inside of insulated leather gauntlet gloves. Slip a hand warmer, one of those small packs that you shake up to activate, in between the gloves in the palm. Wiggle your fingers occasionally. You can go for a long way with temps in the teens using this method.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-09-2008, 01:26 AM   #6

Help for cold hands

Doc, they were $89.95 plus shipping.

Dan, here's the link. http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/c...model=ka%2d045"

When I did the search by bike on National's site it didnt return the item for 05-08 Nad, but backing up to the next year interval offered brought them up and I took a chance that they would fit the newer bikes as well.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:48 AM   #7

Help for cold hands

Com'on LW, you are tougher than that ;)

I havn't needed any yet because I have a great pair of gloves, we ride the same areas.

I have found that my chemical handwarmers are easy to leave in the bags. They are very popular at stops with most in my group and a cheap indulgence at $1.99 for six at Academy.

I'll check those guards when we meet up. Could be good to have if it gets below 30

Now...Im off to ride all weekend!

Old 02-09-2008, 08:58 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Help for cold hands

Up north here we are impervious to the cold and only wear gloves to protect our hands from bug hits. Just kidding. When I've ridden and my hands went numb from the cold I would take off my gloves and put them over the end of the exhaust pipe while the engine was running, and then before I put them back on I would wrap my cold hands around the muffler to warm them. I haven't yet found a comfortable pair of insulated gloves for biking. I did buy a nice pair of deerskin gloves that fit over the cuff of my leather jacket though. I had considered those hand guards too. They look nice and don't seem to detract from the looks of the bike at all; good choice.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #9

Help for cold hands

They are definitely on my to-buy list. Seems like somebody would come up with a less expensive offering - are almost same price as Lonnie's backrest!--

Old 02-09-2008, 09:49 AM   #10

Help for cold hands

On Gadget' web site there is post about making your own hand deflectors out of flat lexan. Some of the guys up north are using the ATV mits also. Liz uses the deflectors with Widder electric gloves.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:04 AM   #11

Help for cold hands

I bet Liz's hands are warm - smart.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #12

Help for cold hands

There cheeper than electric gloves,but in both cases a hassel unless you consistantly ride long distances in cold weather. And anything below 45 is COLD, I don't care how tough you are. But as has been said it seems that those folks that I've met who Ride in cold weather year round and are comfortable doing it use Electric heated Garments. I Personally wont ride if I know the temps are not going to rise above 45, and that usualy means leving in high 20's 0r low 30's and for me THATS COLD! If you can get any pleasure riding in those temps Below 45, God Bless ya I'd rather save my energy for better days to come. jes my 2cw ::)
Quote:
Doc, they were $89.95 plus shipping.

Dan, here's the link. http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N5511?mv_session_id=YY7wWJgH&search_model=ka%2d045 "

When I did the search by bike on National's site it didnt return the item for 05-08 Nad, but backing up to the next year interval offered brought them up and I took a chance that they would fit the newer bikes as well.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:36 PM   #13

Help for cold hands

To bad they don't make them for 06 and newer. I talked to a customer service rep a couple of months ago and was told they may be available sometime in spring 07. Something about the way they mounted changed in 06.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #14

Help for cold hands

Handlegrip Heaters work pretty good, I use mine into the mid 20's, with a pair of leather insulated gloves. Heat demons are supposed to be a good product from what Ive been reading.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #15

Help for cold hands

Quote:
To bad they don't make them for 06 and newer. I talked to a customer service rep a couple of months ago and was told they may be available sometime in spring 07. Something about the way they mounted changed in 06.
Lucille is an '07 and they fit her fine.