Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #1

Shifting fork Blues

Well, I have come to the conclusion that I have a bent shifting fork. I have been having trouble down shifting to 1st gear and it has steadily been getting worse. Every other gear, shifting up to 5th and back down, catches fine. But trying to get down to 1st gear has become a issue. And while slowing to a stop, I Have to make the decision of trying to get into first or up shifting to 2nd gear before I stop, if I slow to much before making this decision, I can forget about getting in to 2nd gear and I am stuck tapping my foot until 1st gear catches.

So, here I am, contemplating rebuilding my engine. I believe I have the skill. And I don't have to rush it since I still have my 900 custom to ride. I'm just going to miss my Nomad for a while. I really like how my Nomad is set up and don't want to purchase a newer Nomad because I like the look of the older setups (mines an '04). I just hope I'm not being over confident in my abilities. If I am, then I guess I will be hunting for a 1600 engine after January.

Besides changing out my 1500's shifting forks with gears and the cam chains, what else should I replace while I have everything torn apart? Any suggested upgrades? I am shopping around for parts so I have everything ready when I tear into her.
Hers-2008 Suzuki C50
And restoreing 1979 Honda CB750k

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2017, 01:30 AM   #2

Well, its best to freshen everything up while its apart. If it were me, I'd mic my pistons if over 75,000 miles, if any wear, I'd go with fresh slugs, which means a bore/hone job on the jugs, freshen up my rings, valve seals, valve job.
Parts, I'd do timing chains if running on extenders, new crank bearings, new lifters/screens, go ahead and do clutch plates, judge washers if not done yet.
Heres one thing to consider though. You can go with a 1600 engine/trans, used, low mileage, with a warranty.
Its a complete bolt in, you'll have a slight increase in performance, lower miles, and you won't have to go thru it from stem to stern.....and you'll be back on the road just a few days after engine arrives.....
Then you can use your old 1500 motor for parts. The 1600 is just a stroked 1500....

Myself, I keep a fresh motor on my shelf, I swap them out in a few hours if I even suspect something is wrong.

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 08-18-2017 at 01:33 AM.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:40 AM   #3

I agree with switching out motors with a low mileage motor. Its a lot easier, faster and cheaper. I found mine a couple years ago with 17k on it for $1200.00
Plus then you will have your old motor for parts if you ever need any.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951