Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-06-2012, 09:14 PM   #1

ISO grip installation on Vaquero

OK, I got my mod kit in from Ray, figured I would get a little done this evening, prep out the left side. Yes, the chromed plastic cap is left-hand threads-but it's still plastic! It got torn up taking it off. Oh well, stock grips where never going back on. The air hose trick worked great! Ran a screwdriver around the inside of the rubber grip, then stuck the air hose in, hit the air release and easily slid the grip off. So far so good!
-BUT-
I check the length of the inside of the ISO grip and the threads are going to keep the grip from going on far enough. No sweat, supposed to just be a threaded plug with a couple of spot welds. Pop the welds, take the plug out, good to go. Humm, this is nearly welded all the way around, so much for a spot weld. File, file, file,file some more, nothing is moving. OK, now I'm getting annoyed, time to get this over with. Out comes the disc grinder. After more than five minutes of grinding (yes, I covered the tank), I can finally move it. A few more minutes of twisting with Vise Grips, and out pops an eight-inch (or longer) piece of solid round stock! OMG!
So here is my question to those that know more than I (that is most of you, by the way). Do I need to put the rod back in flush and re-weld it? Does it serve some other purpose? Balance, vibration dampening, etc? Or do I just finish installation with it out and look forward to better mileage from the weight reduction?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
OK, I got my mod kit in from Ray, figured I would get a little done this evening, prep out the left side. Yes, the chromed plastic cap is left-hand threads-but it's still plastic! It got torn up taking it off. Oh well, stock grips where never going back on. The air hose trick worked great! Ran a screwdriver around the inside of the rubber grip, then stuck the air hose in, hit the air release and easily slid the grip off. So far so good!
-BUT-
I check the length of the inside of the ISO grip and the threads are going to keep the grip from going on far enough. No sweat, supposed to just be a threaded plug with a couple of spot welds. Pop the welds, take the plug out, good to go. Humm, this is nearly welded all the way around, so much for a spot weld. File, file, file,file some more, nothing is moving. OK, now I'm getting annoyed, time to get this over with. Out comes the disc grinder. After more than five minutes of grinding (yes, I covered the tank), I can finally move it. A few more minutes of twisting with Vise Grips, and out pops an eight-inch (or longer) piece of solid round stock! OMG!
So here is my question to those that know more than I (that is most of you, by the way). Do I need to put the rod back in flush and re-weld it? Does it serve some other purpose? Balance, vibration dampening, etc? Or do I just finish installation with it out and look forward to better mileage from the weight reduction?
I would guess that if it is that long, it probably contributes to damping the vibration. It would probably also make the steering easier with all that weight at the end of the bars. I would have just used a dremel to cut the threaded part off, leaving the weld intact. I found the Avons and ISO for the Voyager were actually longer than stock and no cutting or grinding was needed.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #3

Hmmm, I just slid the grip on as it came, no problems at all. I think I remember looking at it thinking looked too long, but it actually wasn't.

VBA #01898

Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4bob View Post
Hmmm, I just slid the grip on as it came, no problems at all. I think I remember looking at it thinking looked too long, but it actually wasn't.
same here,the rod helps with vibration dampening.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 10-07-2012, 01:06 PM   #5

I'm just gonna flip it and weld it back in, about an inch farther in. That will give plenty of room. Nice having tools!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2012, 06:23 PM   #6

All done! Went out on the required test drive, certainly improves throttle response. I like the feel of the grips, but gonna take some time to get used to the feel. Wasn't planned this way, but my baby is getting her own character now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ghost-from-cockpit.jpg (96.4 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg Ghost-front-view.jpg (91.1 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Ghost-grips-and-mirrors.jpg (95.1 KB, 58 views)

Old 10-07-2012, 06:32 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Same thing here Smokey. I slid the left Iso on my Voyager all the way up to the control housing without doing anything to the stock threaded handlebar. I would have thought the Vaquero would be exactly the same as the Voyager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
I would guess that if it is that long, it probably contributes to damping the vibration. It would probably also make the steering easier with all that weight at the end of the bars. I would have just used a dremel to cut the threaded part off, leaving the weld intact. I found the Avons and ISO for the Voyager were actually longer than stock and no cutting or grinding was needed.
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
Advanced Member

OB:

Are those Kuryakyn bar-end weights on your bike? I've never seen those before. What is the part number for them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Bear View Post
All done! Went out on the required test drive, certainly improves throttle response. I like the feel of the grips, but gonna take some time to get used to the feel. Wasn't planned this way, but my baby is getting her own character now!
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fammdw View Post
OB:

Are those Kuryakyn bar-end weights on your bike? I've never seen those before. What is the part number for them?
6238 for a pair of chrome, 6339 for black gloss. I went with the chrome to highlight all of the black. Personally, I don't like the look of a completely blacked out bike.
http://www.kuryakyn.com/Products/2777/Grip-End-Weights

Old 10-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #10

OB where did you get those mirrors those look cool

Old 10-14-2012, 08:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell09 View Post
OB where did you get those mirrors those look cool
http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/424...n-hand-mirrors

I have the chrome ones on mine, they are actually pretty vibration free compared to a lot of aftermarket mirrors.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 10-14-2012, 10:42 PM   #12

They are Kuryakyns, but I lucked out and found these on eBay $40 off due to some very minor cosmetic nicks in the black finish. This is a working bike anyway, so it will have it's share of nicks soon enough!