Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Images & Video

Old 11-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #61
Top Contributor

My local Victory/Kawi dealership is also now an Indian dealership (Lynnwood Motoplex). I have checked out the new Indians, sat on a couple, but not the Chieftain...it was out on a test ride last I was there. The Chief has some ergonomic challenges for me....bars too far forward, etc....but the Cheiftain has a shorter rake, so I'm anxious to check it out. The motor sounds incredible (I heard several while there) and chock full of steroids. I can't even imagine rolling on it down a long desolate highway...!

http://www.motoplex.net/
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Netnorske; 11-20-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #62
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
The Chief has some ergonomic challenges for me....bars too far forward, etc....
Kris you have ergonomic challenges on every bike.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 11-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #63
Mega-Contributor

I chuckle every time I read the subject of this thread - "same soul". I call shenanigans. The "soul" of Indian died in 1953. You can't make a new bike with retro styling and say it has "soul". That is a distinction that is earned over time. If the brand hangs on, then maybe someday it will have "soul", but in my opinion "soul" can't be manufactured.

There's probably millions of people who can play Jimi Hendrix songs on the guitar, but only a few can play with the "soul" that Jimi did. See my point?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #64
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I chuckle every time I read the subject of this thread - "same soul". I call shenanigans. The "soul" of Indian died in 1953. You can't make a new bike with retro styling and say it has "soul". That is a distinction that is earned over time. If the brand hangs on, then maybe someday it will have "soul", but in my opinion "soul" can't be manufactured.

There's probably millions of people who can play Jimi Hendrix songs on the guitar, but only a few can play with the "soul" that Jimi did. See my point?
Sounds like you are talking about venerability and to some extent, seniority. That said, even HD went through the AMF years and could have ended up in the same place. In a sense they did. The company reinvented itself after AMF. At least it isn't a HD clone anymore. That has to count for something.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 11-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #65

New INDIAN...OLD/NEW Harley's..BigKawks....and Round-Engine, Aircraft !

..As long as I can be around ANY OF THEM..I'll Never Need "the little blue pills" to enhance my pleasurable-activities !!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-22-2013, 04:23 PM   #66

Took a demo ride on a dark blue Chieftan today. An 18 wheeler carrying about 19 that I saw was at Performance Motorsports in Houma, LA. A very nice couple from Minnesota were the folks who owned the truck and provided the demo rides with several of each model. The extent of the ride was about 18 miles. We left the dealership in warm overcast weather but dry streets. Caught some rain about 8 miles into the ride. I got drenched in a downpour on the last 7 miles back to the dealer. Even though the weather wasn't the greatest I did get some enjoyable miles of highway riding.

My thoughts on the Polaris Indian are:

Very soft and smooth ride with plenty of low end torque. The seat was very comfortable for the distance I rode. Shifting was fairly quiet and smooth and the throttle is very responsive with the big 111. Enough to make the wife hang on tight not having a security backrest. Got up to 75 mph at one point and didn't notice any buffeting with the adjustable windscreen nearly all the way up. It felt just as good at the higher speeds. Antilock brakes gave me peace of mind on the wet highway on the way back. I give the radio a B+ with the available speakers. The Chieftan feels like it sits a couple of inches lower than my EG. Pricing is pretty reasonable and the 1 year manufacture's and 4 year extended warranty at no extra cost is great.
Negatives:
No heel shifter. I would have to address that with an aftermarket part.
Lots of heat coming up on both of my thighs. The wife felt more on her right leg than the left. She was getting exhaust heat while I was getting the engine heat. That could likely be corrected by opening the intake and re-mapping the fuel mixture. No lower fairings. Would have to fit the highway bars with chaps. My legs were getting soaked even when the rain was less than moderate.
I can't offer much more information with the rainy ride. Didn't open the bags to check for room and quality. I like the bike but wouldn't trade for one.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 11-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #67
Sr. Contributor

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Sounds like you are talking about venerability and to some extent, seniority. That said, even HD went through the AMF years and could have ended up in the same place. In a sense they did. The company reinvented itself after AMF. At least it isn't a HD clone anymore. That has to count for something.

What would have happened to Indian if the company had been helped by the Feds?
Reagan helped the HD marque with the Tariffs.
What would have happened to HD without that?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
It is not whether anyone helped HD or not; but rather that they survived (in my opinion).

I have a long book on my table about the entire history of HD. Great book by one of the granddaughters.

There are at least a dozen times when the company just about bit-the-bullet; but somehow either with pure luck or help they survived and have remained in continuous operation. Something Indian cannot boast.

While I think Polaris is a great company run by a very smart CEO, they only own the name Indian... not the heritage. That, unfortunately died many, many years ago. Just my opinion...

I wish them luck in selling bikes... competition is good for everyone.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #69
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
It is not whether anyone helped HD or not; but rather that they survived (in my opinion).

I have a long book on my table about the entire history of HD. Great book by one of the granddaughters.

There are at least a dozen times when the company just about bit-the-bullet; but somehow either with pure luck or help they survived and have remained in continuous operation. Something Indian cannot boast.

While I think Polaris is a great company run by a very smart CEO, they only own the name Indian... not the heritage. That, unfortunately died many, many years ago. Just my opinion...

I am still waiting for Daimler Benz to bring back their motorcycle line. It's been only 128 years.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #70

Thanks Cajunrider, for the comments on riding the New Indian..
I'd like to have one, but I will be keeping my Big Assed Kawk, til I hit the lottery !

Old 11-23-2013, 11:29 PM   #71
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
My post wasn't about Harley-Davidson??????
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-27-2013, 05:41 AM   #72
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post

Difference of opinion.

You should send the book to me, I would love to read it.

They have or are getting a new CEO. We'll see if he can improve the company.

Quote:
My post wasn't about Harley-Davidson??????

I read your comment and obviously interpreted what you said, differently than you intended.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]