Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Images & Video

Old 08-16-2012, 11:52 AM   #16
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Care to elaborate about Harley's "oddly placed shifter"? It's right where it should be.
The shifter levers are too close together and are too high. I have the Nomad rear lever so it's just above the floorboard. It's also behind it so I only have to slightly raise my heel, move it back a hair and upshift. The front lever is also lower and farther forward. It wouldn't be close to a deal breaker but it's poor ergonomics. Perhaps "oddly placed" was a poor choice but it is what it is. Every bike has it's "issues". The Road Glide is a beautiful, great handling bike but the stock handlebars might as well be drag bars. They're way too far away and just plain uncomfortable for most (from just about EVERYONE I've listened to on various forums and IRL). The EG bars are a bit too close, the Vision doesn't come with a heel shifter and the plug for the iPod is an extra cost item as well as the side bags being a bit small. There's no perfect bike.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #17

did a test ride on a 2012 Voyager today. Handel bars K-act break and the transmission were different for me. liked the bike but will be keeping my Nomad for sure. the difference between my broke in motor and the new motor was very noticeable. The motor just gets better.

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 08-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #18
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
The shifter levers are too close together and are too high. I have the Nomad rear lever so it's just above the floorboard. It's also behind it so I only have to slightly raise my heel, move it back a hair and upshift. The front lever is also lower and farther forward. It wouldn't be close to a deal breaker but it's poor ergonomics. Perhaps "oddly placed" was a poor choice but it is what it is. Every bike has it's "issues". The Road Glide is a beautiful, great handling bike but the stock handlebars might as well be drag bars. They're way too far away and just plain uncomfortable for most (from just about EVERYONE I've listened to on various forums and IRL). The EG bars are a bit too close, the Vision doesn't come with a heel shifter and the plug for the iPod is an extra cost item as well as the side bags being a bit small. There's no perfect bike.
I wear a size "baker's dozen" boot. Originally the shift levers were too close and too high, however, the shift levers are adjustable. The morning after I rode my brand new Harley home, I adjusted the levers so they were much lower, which also increased the distance between them. No longer an issue.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-16-2012, 05:11 PM   #19

cactusjack

If you don't mind me asking, what made your decision to switch to the ultra classic. A LOT of my riding buddies love theirs but really have never tried my vaquero or similar models for comparison. I have ridden the UC, Vic. x country, and othre makes but decided the Vaquero had the features unique to my likes and riding style.

I see a lot of former vulcan riders going to the UC so i was curious what features stood out to you prompting the switch.

Thanks for your time and opinions.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #20
Top Contributor

Quote:
I wear a size "baker's dozen" boot. Originally the shift levers were too close and too high, however, the shift levers are adjustable. The morning after I rode my brand new Harley home, I adjusted the levers so they were much lower, which also increased the distance between them. No longer an issue.
You still end up with the rear shifter on top of the board. Maybe you can buy a longer aftermarket unit. Still, not optimal from the factory but like I said, no bike is perfect. If you can mod things to make it "perfect" then that's great but it still means the bike wasn't perfect. No such thing. Again, that wouldn't be close to a deal breaker even if you couldn't move the pegs at all.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #21
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldridgekennedy View Post
cactusjack

If you don't mind me asking, what made your decision to switch to the ultra classic. A LOT of my riding buddies love theirs but really have never tried my vaquero or similar models for comparison. I have ridden the UC, Vic. x country, and othre makes but decided the Vaquero had the features unique to my likes and riding style.

I see a lot of former vulcan riders going to the UC so i was curious what features stood out to you prompting the switch.

Thanks for your time and opinions.
Well, after I bought my Nomad I discovered that I liked touring. So my requirements for what I wanted in a bike changed accordingly. I spent a lot of time and money to modify my Nomad into what I wanted it to be. By the time I was done, I had enough invested in it to have bought a Harley. Then the 2009 Vulcans came out and after Kawasaki ruined the saddlebags (my opinion) and the OEM and aftermarket accessory market wasn't there and I didn't care for all the plastichrome. The Vaquero caught my eye when it first came out and they did return to the pre-'09 style bags, but no factory tourpak killed that one.

When my Nomad was totaled, I decided that this time I would buy the bike I wanted and wouldn't have to spend all my free time modifying it. I looked at the Victory Cross Country but didn't like the weak dealer network. I looked at the Gold Wing but it's not a v-twin and it just didn't do much for me. I didn't consider Star and BMW was out because I just don't care for a lot of the folks who ride them (except for you, Ponch ). So I was trying to decide between a Road Glide Ultra and the Ultra Limited, and we all know which one was the winner.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-17-2012, 08:19 AM   #22

Thanks. I appreciate the thought that went into your decision. Makes sense. Since youv'e had time now to live with your current bike a while, what are your thoughts on handling and perfromance.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #23
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldridgekennedy View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the thought that went into your decision. Makes sense. Since youv'e had time now to live with your current bike a while, what are your thoughts on handling and perfromance.
I wouldn't go back. It handles much better than the Nomad and has a lot of power. Best of all, it was built for touring which was what I wanted.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-17-2012, 09:18 AM   #24

One of the fellas that was on our west Virginia trip along the Blue Ridge last week has an
Ultra as well, it handled so much better through the corners. I was riding at the limit of what my Nomad could do sometimes, and he had no problems at all pulling away whenever he chose.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Well, after I bought my Nomad I discovered that I liked touring. So my requirements for what I wanted in a bike changed accordingly. I spent a lot of time and money to modify my Nomad into what I wanted it to be. By the time I was done, I had enough invested in it to have bought a Harley. Then the 2009 Vulcans came out and after Kawasaki ruined the saddlebags (my opinion) and the OEM and aftermarket accessory market wasn't there and I didn't care for all the plastichrome. The Vaquero caught my eye when it first came out and they did return to the pre-'09 style bags, but no factory tourpak killed that one.

When my Nomad was totaled, I decided that this time I would buy the bike I wanted and wouldn't have to spend all my free time modifying it. I looked at the Victory Cross Country but didn't like the weak dealer network. I looked at the Gold Wing but it's not a v-twin and it just didn't do much for me. I didn't consider Star and BMW was out because I just don't care for a lot of the folks who ride them (except for you, Ponch ). So I was trying to decide between a Road Glide Ultra and the Ultra Limited, and we all know which one was the winner.
A Harley guy judging an entire brand of bike based on a handful of owners personalities........that is a unique thought process.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 08-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #26
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney View Post
A Harley guy judging an entire brand of bike based on a handful of owners personalities........that is a unique thought process.
No, that's not it. It's just a different mindset. I'm not into the Aerostich suits, Schuberth helmets and the fancy imported touring boots. It's just not my crowd.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-18-2012, 02:08 AM   #27

Quote:
So I was trying to decide between a Road Glide Ultra and the Ultra Limited, and we all know which one was the winner.
Just curious, CJ; what was the tipping point between the two bikes in your case?

Old 08-18-2012, 05:55 AM   #28
Sr. Contributor

Each motorcycle has its pluses and minuses. When you discover what
it is that you really like, shop for that bike. You will be much happier
then the guy that goes in to buy that pretty red one. Who later finds
out he doesn't like motorcycling because what he has doesn't fulfill
his wants and needs. I believe that is why there will always be some
great bikes for sale with lots of goodies on them. JMO
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 08-18-2012, 09:39 AM   #29
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis View Post
Just curious, CJ; what was the tipping point between the two bikes in your case?
One of my buddies has a Road Glide, nobody in our informal riding group had an Ultra.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-18-2012, 09:59 AM   #30
Sr. Contributor

Quote:

Sometimes I don't either. The people on this forum are a lot less anal and that is coming from me. Sometimes when they get on a topic like oil changes or dealer service, it's like a OCD group therapy session.

Bikes, like anything else, are temporary. It's a good thing because we can always change our minds as our needs can change too and it's a lot cheaper than women.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11