Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-26-2016, 04:16 AM   #1

Trying to narrow down excessive vibration

So I have been searching around the forum to find as many avenues as I can. I am looking into some of the options such as loosen and retorque the motor mounts and rebuild the counter balance. I'm hoping that having a BAK and fuel controller with stock debaffled pipes on an 08 Nomad isn't a contributing factor. I'm a bit off from getting my new pipes. I have done a few things to the bike to make it fit me better and be more comfortable but the darn vibration makes for quick numb butt on longer rides. I test rode some Indians and Harleys here recently and they were so smooth, it makes me really want to figure out my Nomad as I'm not anywhere near a new bike. Might even see if there's something out there like better rubber feet thingies for under the seat. I did a foam upgrade to the seats, should've done the gel layer in there...
Thanks for any insight anyone may provide!
VBA#2803

"It takes all types to make up this world and not one of them is missing."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #2

Motor mounts is a good and obvious place to start. I have read on the forum that dry driveshaft splines can cause vibration. Low miles may not necessarily rule out such a possibility as it has been said that some bikes left the factory with nearly no lube.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:16 PM   #3

As Jeff said, check the slip joint (the part of the drive shaft that goes onto the final drive), chances are it is dry. You are supposed to lube the splines, and put 20ml of high temp grease inside it, then put it all back together. I don't know where the grease goes, but every time mine starts having a vibration, lubing that joint takes care of it.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-26-2016, 10:39 PM   #4

I will definitely give that a check as well. I was hoping to not take things apart, but if that's a known issue, I will investigate. Really want to enjoy my ride for longer trips.
VBA#2803

"It takes all types to make up this world and not one of them is missing."