Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-01-2016, 09:15 AM   #1

Razor Tourpack Question

I am looking at getting a Razor style tour pack for the Nomad. I have gone through a bunch of threads and looked at photos on the site. I see some really nice racks to mount the pack to but cannot locate where you guys are getting these. I am assuming the stock chrome rack is not large enough to hold a pack securely. Can anyone point me in the direction to where I would get one? Thanks in advance.

2006 Nomad 1600 "Big Irish"
BatWing Fairing
12" KST Mayhem Dresser Bars
Demon Cycle Mirrors
Tunes supplied by Pioneer and Polk
Exhaust courtesy of Vance and Hines and Big City Thunder

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2016, 01:13 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Wompus rack? That's probably what most of them are mounted on.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Mine's on a Wompus rack

http://wompusracks.com/

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 10-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #4
Advanced Member

I've been searching threads for information on tour packs. I've about had it with the stock rack and sissy bar on my Nomad because of the poor design.

I have what I believe to be a Wompus rack that I bought from Canuckrider some time back and have been searching for a good tour pack. Foolishly I included a Harley tour pack that I had in the attic in the sale of my EG several years ago.

This one doesn't look too bad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-king-s...dWQZQr&vxp=mtr

One can beef up the bottom with a piece of aluminum plate as I did on my old EG.

Old 10-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #5

I have the same version of that in the chopped pack. It is pretty decent. I use mine to hold lite stuff. Sweatshirt, gloves, the wife's purse etc. It does the job for what I need. I had it painted up to match the vinyl wrap and it looks pretty nice. I did go out and buy a rubber gasket from HD to add to the rubber gasket they supply. Makes a tighter seal and eliminated the bit of rattle it had.

With that in mind, I did modify the stock luggage rack and mounted it to that. It is considerably strong and holds the weight of my wife and gear with no issues. A new mount will be fabricated over the winter mounts more suitable to my liking

2006 Nomad 1600 "Big Irish"
BatWing Fairing
12" KST Mayhem Dresser Bars
Demon Cycle Mirrors
Tunes supplied by Pioneer and Polk
Exhaust courtesy of Vance and Hines and Big City Thunder

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2016, 06:21 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I have the same version of that in the chopped pack. It is pretty decent. I use mine to hold lite stuff. Sweatshirt, gloves, the wife's purse etc. It does the job for what I need. I had it painted up to match the vinyl wrap and it looks pretty nice. I did go out and buy a rubber gasket from HD to add to the rubber gasket they supply. Makes a tighter seal and eliminated the bit of rattle it had.

With that in mind, I did modify the stock luggage rack and mounted it to that. It is considerably strong and holds the weight of my wife and gear with no issues. A new mount will be fabricated over the winter mounts more suitable to my liking
I thought of just modifying the rack Thom but since I have the Wompus I'll just use that. It bolts right up to the fender struts. Thanks for the feedback on the trunk. There are some ones for about $70 but they can't be much good.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
I am looking at getting a Razor style tour pack for the Nomad. I have gone through a bunch of threads and looked at photos on the site. I see some really nice racks to mount the pack to but cannot locate where you guys are getting these. I am assuming the stock chrome rack is not large enough to hold a pack securely. Can anyone point me in the direction to where I would get one? Thanks in advance.

I'm using a rack I picked up from Scootworks. This rack is well built and plenty strong enough to handle the load... Not that I would recommend ordering from them, unless you have about a year to wait and don't mind bugging them every month to keep them spurred on to get your order processed..

Having looked at the Wompus Web site I see that their racks are styled and built similarly. If I was in the market again for a tour pack rack, that's where I would head. Just say'n...
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige

Last edited by Kawalski Rider; 10-22-2016 at 10:01 AM.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:22 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawalski Rider View Post
I'm using a rack I picked up from Scootworks. This rack is well built and plenty strong enough to handle the load... Not that I would recommend ordering from them, unless you have about a year to wait and don't mind bugging them every month to keep them spurred on to get your order processed..

Having looked at the Wompus Web site I see that their racks are styled and built similarly. If I was in the market again for a tour pack rack, that's where I would head. Just say'n...
David, looking at the pic of your bike that looks like a very nice tour pac. Also, is that an aftermarket wind screen? It looks to be pretty good size.

Canuckrider sent along some other do-dads with the rack. There is a chrome extension rack that I believe is made for a case of beer.

Old 10-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #9

Yup case of beer for sure. Added to 15 can cases both sides + 2 in the King Tour Pak = just enough for a couple of rounds at the Salmon Arm Rally. You bet!

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 10-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
I have what I believe to be a Wompus rack that I bought from Canuckrider some time back and have been searching for a good tour pack.
Navigator, that rack that I sold you was one that I had designed and had custom made because at that time I don't believe that Wompus was making a solo rack.

I guess if I had to do it over again today, I would likely go with a Wompus rack.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 10-24-2016, 10:51 PM   #11

Thumbs Up

I agree Al. I have built quite a few trunk racks similar to Wompus but now have one made by him. I highly recommend the Wompus product too

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 10-25-2016, 02:54 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuckrider View Post
Navigator, that rack that I sold you was one that I had designed and had custom made because at that time I don't believe that Wompus was making a solo rack.

I guess if I had to do it over again today, I would likely go with a Wompus rack.
That's pretty cool. It looked like a Wompus so I just assumed it was. It's a one of a kind Canuckrider Custom Special.

Old 10-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer View Post
Yup case of beer for sure. Added to 15 can cases both sides + 2 in the King Tour Pak = just enough for a couple of rounds at the Salmon Arm Rally. You bet!
I thought we ran out. :)

Old 10-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawalski Rider View Post

Having looked at the Wompus Web site I see that their racks are styled and built similarly.
I would think so, since Wompus does build the scootworks racks.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 10-25-2016, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
David, looking at the pic of your bike that looks like a very nice tour pac. Also, is that an aftermarket wind screen? It looks to be pretty good size.

Canuckrider sent along some other do-dads with the rack. There is a chrome extension rack that I believe is made for a case of beer.
Mike, The tour pack is one of the ABS plastic boxes available on ebay for around $75. I painted it to match. Came out pretty good if I do say so myself. The windshield is from Rifle. I'm 6' 5". I had them add 4" to the tallest one they make. It's plenty tall to kick the wind up over my head, but I still look over it. It's nice to duck down behind in the rain.
VBA #03514

2002 Vulcan VN1500L Nomad fi
Pearl Burnish Beige/Pearl Luster Beige