Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #1

Voyager kits

Hey guys ...anyone running a voyager conversion kit? Likes and dislikes...need help when riding 2up but have alot of speed bumps and a curb to go up into the drive so this kit may not work..old legs aren't what they used to be....any comments would be helpful....thanks to all...Virg

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-20-2011, 07:11 PM   #2

Voyager kits

What do you mean by a conversion kit?

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Voyager kits

I'm guessing he must mean a trike conversion???
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #4

Voyager kits

trike kit....just wondered about ground clearance...Virg

Old 06-21-2011, 05:39 AM   #5

Voyager kits

From what I have heard from a couple of people is they like it! :) Takes getting used to but you learn fast.. 1 issue is the side opening saddle bags.Doable but you cannt open 100%...And if I remember (CRS you know :) ) it does become a tad more bouncy but not much,, Stable as a rock and if you forget to put the kickstand down you wont fall over lol. There was a few post on site here about the kit,Im sure I read a few post here,, 1 guy I met on a ride loved it.....hope I helped alittle
Rich

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #6

Voyager kits

I've got one on mine as you can probably see in my signature pic. I love mine. I'll address a few issues for you.

1) The saddle bags: they don't open all the way due to the kit blocking the bags. However, you can purchase a set of special cut hinges from the Voyager manufacturer (MTC-Voyager) for $100. Then, once you replace the hinges, you can send your old ones back for a refund of your $100. The only money you are out is shipping. These modified hinges let the door open and slide upward (or even removed) so that you have more room to access them. I got a set of these hinges. They work fairly well. It's a slight more hassle to use the bags, but not really a big deal for me ... especially since I use my trunk more than the bags.

2) The ground clearance: The clearance is reduced a few inches. I don't think they're speed bump friendly as I have bottomed out a couple of times. If you want, I can measure mine and give you a definite measurement as to how much clearance I've lost. I do have to be careful and choose my path when addressing bumps, curbs, etc.

3) The ride: It started out bumpier than I had expected, but through talking with others, I was able to adjust my ride by applying a preload (placing the back tire of the bike on a raised block before tightening the shock area of the kit down) and by adjusting air pressure in the kit's tires and in my bike's air shocks. It took some trial and error, but once I got it set, it has been great.

My wife wouldn't ride with me on 2 wheels, and my left knee is apt to hyperextend on me at any time, so this was a good solution for me ... especially since I just couldn't afford to put the money down for a traditional trike at the time. I've got the older model that I bought used for $2000. I looked and looked on ebay, classified ads, etc., for several months until I found one close enough to drive to pick it up. I found one about 4 hours away from me. It came off a Harley and I had to order the belly plate and hardware for my Nomad, which cost another $500. It took me about 3 hours to get everything installed and take the first ride on it. If you have any additional questions, I'll be happy to answer them for you if I can.

Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 PM   #7

Voyager kits

Ok thanks ...I had one on a goldwing and it rattled alot ....heard abt the hinges....ground clearance here in the trailer park is the problem....curbs all over the place...(speed bumps) also the drive is above the street so its a bit of a drop off to the street could make a ramp for that but like I said , all the speed bumps are the width of the street......may have to try something else...thanks for reply...Virg

Old 06-21-2011, 04:34 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Voyager kits

I think you will probably enjoy one Virg. As we age our legs do tend to weaken. So far I have done alright with my Nomad. Maybe if my legs were a tad longer it wouldn't be quite as bad. I will probably consider adding the trike conversion in another couple of years.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-21-2011, 05:31 PM   #9

Voyager kits

I hear ya...had no problem with my VTX.....but the Nomad needs something...maybe taller boots????I really like the Hannigan but cost and not ready to give up 2 wheels...also don't want to down size bikes cause the difference in doing that would trike what I have...we also pull a trailer so need a good size bike...maybe the legs up or tow pac....still getting input....thanks for reply...Virg

Old 06-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #10

Voyager kits

They must be a simple kit to install if it only takes three hours. Its certainly a good alternative for people with some types of disability.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-22-2011, 05:32 AM   #11

Voyager kits

It didn't take long on the wing I had and preload adjustments were easy..maybe the clearance is more on the Nomad don't know...would like to ride one with tow pac on it...like the larger wheels on the Voyager kit ...thanks agn to all who reply...learn alot here and check it every day...Later Virg

Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #12

Voyager kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by virg
It didn't take long on the wing I had and preload adjustments were easy..maybe the clearance is more on the Nomad don't know...would like to ride one with tow pac on it...like the larger wheels on the Voyager kit ...thanks agn to all who reply...learn alot here and check it every day...Later Virg
When I bought the voyager kit, I didn't know about the tow-pac instatrike kit that had the bigger tires. I only knew about the one with small tires, and I didn't like it. If you get one with bigger tires, I believe the tow-pac kit doesn't change your ground clearance. I believe it plugs into your towing receiver. If I ever go this route again, I'll definitely check into it, but for now, I'm happy with my voyager ... except for the reduced ground clearance, but it hasn't been a major issue. I've been able to go around all speed bumps so far.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:54 PM   #13

Voyager kits

Ok ...thanks for the input...I may go voyager if I measure how wide they are in front...possible I can run between the bumps...they leave a gap for water to drain....tow pac does have all the clearance. just like the larger tires on the Voyager compared to 12inch on tow pac...thanks agn....Virg

Old 06-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #14
Advanced Member

Voyager kits

Tow-Pac says they offer an electric reverse. They also claim no loss of ground clearance. I don't know anyone who has this unit for verification.

Old 06-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #15

Voyager kits

thanks you sir...Virg