Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 06-19-2013, 04:12 PM   #1

Test Rode Victory Crossroads Classic Today

Victory had their demo day today here, So I decided to go see what all the hoopla was about. I deceided to try out the Crossroads Classic since it was most like my Nomad. First thing I noticed was there was no heel shifter and that it's a $90 option. Really? Some good news is I like the power from that 106 in. motor, and I also liked the sixth gear. Even though it's a dog in 6th. But that is overdrive.
The digital tach couldn't seem to keep up, I'd rather have a conventional tach right beside the speedo.
The shifter and brake were a little too far forward for me , but the guy said that was adjustable. I also had to reach for the bars, so I'd have to install risers. Also noticed quite a bit of buffeting, quite a bit more than the nomad.
The bike seemed to handle quite well in the corners, just didn't seem to be as heavy feeling as the Nomad.
You guys think the nomad is noisy shifting? These things really clunk when you shift and the motor had kind of a whine to it. (didn't like that) The bike I rode had stock exhaust, (way too quiet)
All in all its a decent bike, would just take some getting used to. Not sure I'd dump that much cash down for one though.

I still like the Nomad better and won't be buying a Victory any time soon.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #2

I prefer hard bags and windshield myself and have not found an mc w a similar set up that I like as much as my Nomad. I test rode the same bike as you and a Road King. I also rode a friend's 12 Road King and IMO, while both were great looking bikes w obvious quality, I came away very happy w my 08 Nomad.
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 06-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Some good news is I like the power from that 106 in. motor, and I also liked the sixth gear. Even though it's a dog in 6th. But that is overdrive.

The shifter and brake were a little too far forward for me , but the guy said that was adjustable.

Also noticed quite a bit of buffeting, quite a bit more than the nomad.

The bike seemed to handle quite well in the corners, just didn't seem to be as heavy feeling as the Nomad.

You guys think the nomad is noisy shifting? These things really clunk when you shift and the motor had kind of a whine to it. (didn't like that)
Sixth gear is a true overdrive. You need to be going at least 65 (and maybe 70) to get some power out of 6th gear. The Vics like a little more rpms than some other big Twins. 2500 rpms is just a start.

You can adjust the brake/shifter levers forward or back an inch. I moved my brake lever forward an inch and it's perfect.

Fork mounted lowers pretty much fix the buffeting, just like on a Nomad.

If you think the XR handles well in the curves, you should try a Vision.

The shifter IS noisy but the tranny isn't. The Vic tranny is pretty much bulletproof. It's just a Victory thing. You get used to it (sort of). The motor has it's own noises just like the Nomads do.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by manban9888 View Post
I prefer hard bags and windshield myself...
The XRs prior to '13 had hard bags. Both hard bags and a windscreen are optional.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-19-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Victory had their demo day today here, So I decided to go see what all the hoopla was about. I deceided to try out the Crossroads Classic since it was most like my Nomad. First thing I noticed was there was no heel shifter and that it's a $90 option. Really? Some good news is I like the power from that 106 in. motor, and I also liked the sixth gear. Even though it's a dog in 6th. But that is overdrive.
The digital tach couldn't seem to keep up, I'd rather have a conventional tach right beside the speedo.
The shifter and brake were a little too far forward for me , but the guy said that was adjustable. I also had to reach for the bars, so I'd have to install risers. Also noticed quite a bit of buffeting, quite a bit more than the nomad.
You guys think the nomad is noisy shifting? These things really clunk when you shift and the motor had kind of a whine to it. (didn't like that) The bike I rode had stock exhaust, (way too quiet)
All in all its a decent bike, would just take some getting used to. Not sure I'd dump that much cash down for one though.

I still like the Nomad better and won't be buying a Victory any time soon.
Thanks for that unbiased opinion. Meet me in EP in a couple of days if you want to run your Nomad up against my heavier XCT!! in front of everyone!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-19-2013, 08:28 PM   #6

I have hit Victory demo days several times. I can not explain it, but I LOVE the noisy clunk, and feel of the shifter. I could here everyone in the group downshift as we slowed down LOL

VBA #01898

Old 06-19-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Thanks for that unbiased opinion. Meet me in EP in a couple of days if you want to run your Nomad up against my heavier XCT!! in front of everyone!!
Selling tickets for that too?

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 06-19-2013, 09:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post

Hey Brad, Why don't you both try and chase Schoeney? That would be even more fun to watch!

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
The XRs prior to '13 had hard bags. Both hard bags and a windscreen are optional.
I thought the red n beige 2013 that I rode was a beautiful color scheme that would've looked even better w hard bags in the same colors.
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13

Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Sixth gear is a true overdrive. You need to be going at least 65 (and maybe 70) to get some power out of 6th gear. The Vics like a little more rpms than some other big Twins. 2500 rpms is just a start.

You can adjust the brake/shifter levers forward or back an inch. I moved my brake lever forward an inch and it's perfect.

Fork mounted lowers pretty much fix the buffeting, just like on a Nomad.

If you think the XR handles well in the curves, you should try a Vision.

The shifter IS noisy but the tranny isn't. The Vic tranny is pretty much bulletproof. It's just a Victory thing. You get used to it (sort of). The motor has it's own noises just like the Nomads do.
I didn't get to ride the Vision but 2 Vision owners there couldn't say enough good things about it. It's not really my kind of look but there's no doubt it's a damn fine bike. W the XRoads I'd need to use pullback risers and bigger lowers like my Nomad. Tons of great bikes out there for all our tastes and that's good for all of us. I love my bikes and ride almost daily thanks to the weather here
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13

Old 06-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
Advanced Member

They were supposed to have the demo truck in Wichita this Saturday and now it's not coming. They said they are going to do it anyway with the bikes on the floor. I may go anyway even though I don't expect it to be as nice as the factory truck demo would have been. I just want to ride the XCT. Not interested in riding anything else.
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Old 06-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Top Contributor

The thing that took me awhile to get used to was all the different noises...I mean as far as engine noises....ticks, growls, you know what I mean....compared to the Vulcans. All big V-Twins are noisy buggers, and the Victory is no exception. Just when I was used to my Vulcans....now I have a whole other set of engine noises to get used to. Like Chris said...I also find it useful to run this big 106 at higher RPM's than I did on my Vulcans...it likes it that way. On the XCT....the tach is old school...with a good old-fashioned needle. On my Nomad...I got used to using my GPS to check my speed as I did not like looking down to see the speedo. On the XCT...I use the speedo as it is right in my line of sight. Best of all....it is only about 1 mph off of my GPS speed....

There are a few items that made me shake my head too...like no heel shifter, or brake pad (it comes with a peg), and a cable clutch, not hydro like it is on the Vision. For me the Vision is far too limited in cargo space. They have hard bags, but you can't fit more than your brown paper-bag lunch in them.... The bars I had to remedy....but I had to do the same on both my Vulcans....seats too....although the XCT seat was not as horrible. I wish the trunk was a little more squared off, because everything I put in it wants to slide to the middle. You can't put anything in a corner and expect it to stay there....it just slips right to the center making it harder to keep things organized. That said...it does hold a ton of stuff!

The first week I rode the damn thing it was like I was riding someone else's bike, but the more time I put in the saddle, and the more comfort mods I have done to make it my own, the more I am loving it. The passing power is for me the biggest improvement over the Nomad. Wanna pass three cars at a time? Just roll that throttle back and hang the hell on.... My only hope is that it proves to be as reliable as my Nomad was...and only time and miles will determine that story. One other thing that has kind of blown me away. I cannot stop anywhere...I mean anywhere...where people don't stop and tell me what a beautiful bike I have. 70 year old men and women have stopped...HD guys...teens...moms...you name it, everyone just smiles, stares and is amazed....!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 06-19-2013 at 11:11 PM.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #13

I did the Yamaha Demo Days yesterday. Rode the new FJR and the Super Tenere (Adventure Bike).

FJR (just revamped)....very top heavy (dangerous IMHO) and crappy weather protection. Engine was powerful and smooth as silk, and stock seat was very comfy (only a 10 mile ride).

Super Tenere...comfy riding position, plenty of power, after having a full windshield you get spoiled so this puny little shield wouldn't cut it for me. I guess I can cross Adventure Bikes off my 2017 shopping list.

The other bikes were the tavern bikes and crotch rockets so I did not bother.

They did have a Strat O Liner Deluxe but I have already ridden one so just had some food and shopped the accessory dept. A good day.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 06-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Went to the Victory Demo Day today. Rode the Vision and the XCT. All the wind issues I experienced last year when I rode the XC are addressed on these two bikes.

I was highly impressed with both bikes. I thought they were pretty equal in ride however the Vision's looks put me off. Just not my cup of tea.

The XCT was a perfect fit for me. Stretched out frame (compared to the Voyager), perfect reach to the bars, surprisingly comfortable stock seat. There are a few things that would need addressing, like the lack of a heel shifter and addition of a true brake pedal. I would also change the stock windshield as it is too high in my opinion. I don't like looking through a shield.

No one was really riding the XCT, so I rode the damn thing four times!

All in all pretty nice damn bike. I see why you guys that own them like to sing their praise. When the time comes for me to make a change, it will be at the top of my list along side the Electra Glide Ultra.
VBA Member #02104
2013 HD 110th Anniversary Electra Glide Ultra Limited
2012 Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
2009 Yamaha FJR1300
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Custom
1989 Yamaha Virago 750

Last edited by fammdw; 06-22-2013 at 08:11 PM.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #15
Top Contributor

We are sitting in Craig, CO with one last leg to Estes Park today. These last three days have been a joy as I have really let the big ponies of the XCT run through some wide open country. Been averaging 43-44 mpg fully loaded two up....while running great on regular fuel.
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016