Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

I love looking at all the bikes here with all the stuff on them. Some are very cool looking. It dawned on me the other day that the riders who pretty much have the stock setup, actually have the best looking bikes. At least to me. \

The stock setup is, a pretty damn cool looking bike. Even with all the other internal stock stuff that we have. MaKaw wasnt a typical blond when she made this bike with all the limitations that were placed on her. :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #2

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacliff
The stock setup is, a pretty damn cool looking bike.
Agreed, That's why I bought it.

I'm picking my trunk up from the painter today.
I really don't want one, even though I'm sure they are handy as a pocket on a shirt.
But the wife says the stock backrest ain't good enough.
I hope I end up liking the way it looks.
Lots of guys have put both fairings and trunks on their bikes, and like you said, they look great.
To each his own.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 04-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

I agree.... I like the looks of the standard Nomad better. If I'd wanted all the bells and whistles I would have bought an HD.....or GW...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
I agree.... I like the looks of the standard Nomad better. If I'd wanted all the bells and whistles I would have bought an HD.....or GW...
Oh please, BD - just admit that you're a cheapskate and get it over with!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-25-2011, 11:38 AM   #5

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Its a great basic bike but depending what your gonna do with it such as long distance touring, it needs a few sparkles and farkles to get it right.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Farkles????? that describes the color of CJ's HD PERFECTLY!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Seacliff,

Agree with you 100% on the looks. However, I added the trunk for longer hauls during the summer. If we had a winter riding season, I would probably go to the effort of taking the trunk off and putting the backrest on, but alas, we don't have a winter riding season.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Quote:
You added a trunk! ::)
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 04-25-2011, 01:15 PM   #9

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Welcome 'seacliff' to the forum and I agree that the Nomad has a clean design. There are some owners that have put a lot of time and effort into matching their fairings and trunks into the overall design that are homogenous with the Nomad's design and are outstanding. I used to belong to a HD forum and never thought the "bolt-on" customs looked good - or the "if it's metal chrome it" look.
On the home page if you haven't opened it yet go to the 'members list' , you can see a lot of the members bikes that have posted them.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

While the Nomad stock look is a clean one, the overall funtionality is limited in that state. If you are an around town rider, no worries. If you a cross-country rider, you need the additions of a trunk for storage. A fairing less so, but the need for tunes is a real one for some folks!!

Other additions such as larger lowers, engine guard chaps and highway pegs all serve to reduce wind buffeting and add leg comfort for those same long hauls. You gotta make the Nomad into what you need it to be....or not.... .
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #11

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske
While the Nomad stock look is a clean one, the overall funtionality is limited in that state. If you are an around town rider, no worries. If you a cross-country rider, you need the additions of a trunk for storage. A fairing less so, but the need for tunes is a real one for some folks!!

Other additions such as larger lowers, engine guard chaps and highway pegs all serve to reduce wind buffeting and add leg comfort for those same long hauls. You gotta make the Nomad into what you need it to be....or not.... .
Kris,

I don't agree completely.

I do agree with the lowers, engine guard chaps and pegs but those are not a big change in the looks.

If you are riding solo (which is what I do on longer trips) or even two up there is no real need for a trunk. There is quite a bit of room in the bags or just throw a TBag on your seat or luggage rack those few times a season that you are going overnight. Not a big deal and a heck of alot cheaper, most TBag types have lots of little pockets that make it simple to dig out the stuff you always want to find quickly (cell phone, wallet, map, flask ;)...just kidding you know I never drink until the ride is over for the day).

A trunk is more convenient if you need it but some trunks kind of give bikes the Winnebago look. But maybe some like that look better .....that is ok..different strokes for different RV'ers....ooops I meant "folks".

Oh no....will I hear the boos from the trunkers? or is that trunkards? ...settle down all, I am in my talk show host mood...just trying to rile the listeners into calling in madder than heck.

MP3 tunes can go in your ears and put in your jacket or clipped to a shirt/vest.

There is no doubt the trunks and fairings are functional for touring but certainly not necessary if you want to tour but still maintain the more svelt and classic bike looks

Of course we all tend to like what WE have so it truly is a case of what floats your boat (or RV).

There are definitely pros and cons to trunks and fairings.

Some pros; More room, more function, more visibility from cagers, maybe a little more weather protection but that can go either way too, do you need to protect your stereo/electronics in the rain?

Some cons: More weight, more aerodynamics issues, more cost, less visibility to see hazards , endless Winnebago jokes

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 04-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #12

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

This is no perfect bike for everyone. What is perfect for you maybe incomplete for someone else.

I for one love the Nomad in it's stock state, that is obviously why I own one, but I think every single bike could be modified to fit the riders style just a bit better.

VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 04-25-2011, 03:16 PM   #13

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Not trying to be Harsh but It is my bike and I'll do what I want with it because I can If you bought a HD you could not afford to do the add ons even if you bought the one that is on same lines as the Nomad --Road King- any way most of us keep the parts that come off and in probably less than half a day can have a stock Nomand back working again therefore you have two bikes in one --- one to tour with and one to cruise around town if you want it back stock each to their own Because we can

Previous bikes - 2004 BMW R1200 CLC 2006 Nomad 1600 Black -1985 BMW K100 RT
VBA #001609
Viet-Nam Vet 71-72
Maryville , Tn.
Maggie Valley '11-Townsend '12-Estes Park '13- Copperhead fall rally "13- Elkins WV '14- Eureka Springs ' 15- Helen Ga. SE Rally '16

Old 04-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman
Quote:
You added a trunk! ::)
Part Time!! only when carrying a passenger for long distance!! Shaddup Joel...

Member # 0005

Old 04-25-2011, 03:45 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Stock, MaKaw and bliss.

Do people still have problems with the stock lowers and wind buffeting? I used to ride the early model Nomads, and the wind buffeting with horrible, back before people knew what it was caused by.

Now with my 2005 and stock lowers (stock everything) I have never had any type of wind buffeting on my head / helmet, at any type of speed.

VBA #1608
KZR #25622