Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 10-03-2017, 05:10 PM   #1

Texas Hill Country.

We are heading out to the Texas Hill Country late tomorrow or early Thursday. Is this a good time of year to ride the area? What are the roads that we shouldn't miss? Is there a central place to stay or should we make reservations along the way? We will head back home Sunday some time. We would really appreciate any suggestions, we have never been there. Coming from central Oklahoma. Thanks for the help.
Gary

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-03-2017, 08:21 PM   #2

There are several options as to where to stay. Leakey is centrally located but very small.
You may have to stay in Kerrville.
The three must ride roads are the 3 sisters. Ranch Road 335, 336 and 337.
If you stay in Kerrville consider riding west on 27 to 39 thru Hunt to 187.
Go south on 187. You can stop at the Lone Star motorcycle museum just a few miles north of 337 and Vanderpool.
Then take 337 west towards Leakey. Great road. In Leakey go north on US 83 a short distance to RR 336. Ride north on 336 to 41.
Go west on 41 a few miles to RR 335 and turn south.
Ride on 335 to Barksdale and pick up 55 to Camp Wood.
In Camp Wood take 337 back to Leakey.
How to get back to Kerrville? Several options. 83 to 41 to I-10 is the quickest.

Check out these links from Trip's website. Lots of good info.
http://www.rehilliard.net/hclinks.htm
http://www.rehilliard.net/texas.htm

Hope this helps.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Last edited by BudMan; 10-03-2017 at 09:47 PM.

Old 10-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #3

I stayed in Leakey, which only had one motel (no Verizon service at all). I was thru there in January and the ride was "OK". It is not as spectacular as the web sites claim. It is just a nice country ride.

Old 11-22-2017, 10:57 PM   #4
Advanced Member

We had a Triumph Rocket event there several years ago and stayed at Frio Farms on the Frio River where they have beautiful log cabins.

We rode the Three Sisters for several days. The Sisters are incredible, challenging rides with with semi-regular emergency recovery of injured riders. I almost crashed on the center sister going into a tight turn and hitting a darn cattle guard in the middle of the turn. I went off road into a pasture trying to keep from crashing. Along the way I encountered shallow flooded roads and a dam with fields of Texas wildflowers of Blue Bonnets on either sides of the road. I've ridden all over the US and Canada and this was one of the most beautiful rides of my life.

The Frio River in that area is absolutely beautiful, shallow, azure blue river with beaches along the banks. A must see.

Last edited by Navigator; 11-23-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Old 11-23-2017, 07:57 AM   #5

Twisted sisters without a doubt the best in Texas. Also if you can spend some time in San Antonio, the riverwalk this time of year is a sight not to be missed....awesome. Have fun and ride safe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Our daughter is in Air Force medical and has had several tours there. We've visited her many times and came to love the area. One of my old COs had a Marine Corps reunion in a grand old hotel not far from the Alamo and we had dinner many times along the Riverwalk.