Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 09-13-2017, 08:39 PM   #1

Totally off topic as far as motorcycles.

I'm working on an old Golf Cart with a buddy for his wife. I need the clutch bolt that goes thru the clutch and into the nod if the Crankshaft.
I have determined that it is an 11 mm x 1.25 thread pitch boltabout 5 to six inches long. It wasn't in there when we pulled the clutch off the crank and we need to be able to pull the clutch pulley back on to the tapered shaft to get it to lock down again. The only way we can find said bolt is with a clutch kit which is $200. Ain't happening on the $300 EZ GO. I'd like to ask if anyone on here knows where I can get a bolt that size or some all thread rod in 11mm x 1.25 ?
Thanks in advance. It's not to be found at any of the normal sources either. I hope one of you has a go to for odd ball bolts.

That should read totally off topic, so much for my proofreading skills

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-14-2017, 12:16 AM   #2

An m11x1.25 is a pretty non standard bolt size as you are finding out. Might find it as a head bolt on some Japanese cars. On a machinist site I visit, a fella was looking for head bolts for a Mitsubishi engine he had of that size and pitch.
Also a 7/16-20 is basically 11.1x1.27, it just might thread in without much doctoring. Failing that, you might ask a local machine shop to make a bolt on a lathe.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 09-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #3
Advanced Member

A machine shop would be my suggestion as well.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 09-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Harley Davivson sells golfcarts, maybe they could be helpful.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #5
Advanced Member

McMaster Carr or MSC should have threaded rod. I would use this over the bolt as you have a far less chance of pulling the threads out if you use the nut to pull it on.

How did you come up with the thread size? It is VERY uncommon. Most supply houses go from 10 to 12 in metric thread.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by alwhite00; 09-15-2017 at 08:11 PM.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
McMaster Carr or MSC should have threaded rod. I would use this over the bolt as you have a far less chance of pulling the threads out if you use the nut to pull it on.

How did you come up with the thread size? It is VERY uncommon. Most supply houses go from 10 to 12 in metric thread.
Did a bunch of measuring and thread gauging. And took the whole engine assembly with us to the Bolt and Fastener supply store. He measured and gauged as well and said good luck. Fortunately we gave dame up with a solution, a 7/16 bolt Wilkes out very close to 11 mm on the unthreaded part. We have found 11 mm dies and taps so apparently some one makes and uses that side bolt. We are waiting on the die to get here and it is a cutting die not a threadchasing die. There is a difference getting a shouldered bolt way longer than we need in a 7/16 and going to cut it to length and thread it. Done and done. The only one I have found even remotely kin to this thread size is some kind of Mitsubishi head bolts which are about 3/4 inch too short. And some Chevy flexplate bolts which are way short.

The search for hidden meaning concerning very small Subaru/ Robin engines is over. There is no answer as to why it's that way, it just is. Got it figured out though. That puppy is going back together as soon as that die comes in the mail. Thanks for your help men, and I floated the all thread idea myself to the guy that owns ,it didn't fly , oh well

Old 09-15-2017, 11:48 PM   #7

You could also use a 1/2"x 6" bolt and have it turned down a bit in a lathe then threaded, if your first attempt doesn't work out .

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Advanced Member

I checked a local golf cart dealer and he said he couldn't get just the bolt either.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 09-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #9

http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/prod...BoCAHkQAvD_BwE

$10 delivered in three days.... if it is the one I believe you need. Others are less expensive than that. You just need to know the model number for certain. EZGo did have a clutch swap, so check the part number ON THE CLUTCH to be certain.

Why not just Google it? Results pop up everywhere. EZGo div of Textron is still in business. Their parts supply and distribution is very good and parts for those old engines are still laying on shelves just waiting..... Harley, on the other had, hasn't named a golf cart since about 1983 when they were still AMF.

Last edited by dhuttonkc; 09-16-2017 at 10:31 AM.

Old 09-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuttonkc View Post
http://www.buggiesunlimited.com/prod...BoCAHkQAvD_BwE

$10 delivered in three days.... if it is the one I believe you need. Others are less expensive than that. You just need to know the model number for certain. EZGo did have a clutch swap, so check the part number ON THE CLUTCH to be certain.

Why not just Google it? Results pop up everywhere. EZGo div of Textron is still in business. Their parts supply and distribution is very good and parts for those old engines are still laying on shelves just waiting..... Harley, on the other had, hasn't named a golf cart since about 1983 when they were still AMF.
Believe me I've googled ,binged and did some foot work too. I saw all those bolts and we actually ordered one and it was way to small. I should have mentioned it has to be from '88 and back it is a different animal than the newer ones. It's an obsolete part even in the Robin/Subaru Textron books. Thanks for chiming in and trying to help, you fellows were sort of a last ditch effort.

I'll keep turning the 1/2 bolt in mind too if the first plan doesn't work out Ringadingh

Last edited by denny 606; 09-16-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:51 AM   #11

Why not drill it out and tap it for the 7/16?
VBA 936

Old 09-17-2017, 07:22 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
Why not drill it out and tap it for the 7/16?
X2. Probably your easiest solution.

Old 09-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
X2. Probably your easiest solution.
It's not mine and he doesn't want to do that. I've offered up two or three solutions and it ain't happening. On engine that old , to me, God enough would be good enough. All that bolt does is tighten it down on a tapered shaft which is so tight you have to buy a puller bolt to get it loose. There wasn't even a bolt in it when we took it off. I'd get it pulled down tight on the taper and say good job if it was mine.

I'm about to say not my monkey, not my circus and let him do it however he wants.

Old 09-20-2017, 10:50 AM   #14

Just a follow up to let everyone that gave advice and tried to find this bolt. We got it done by using a 7/16 x20 and a threading due to cut the threads down slightly to the 1.25 pitch. If you ever find yourself in need of a 11x1.25 bolt give me a holler , I've got a die that I can loan you. Not that anyone ever will find themself in this situation ,just putting it out there and giving an Alls well that ends well report. I hate being left hanging wondering if anyone got their problem solved. Thanks again. Whoever it was that pointed me toward the 7/16 x 20 helped a bunch.

Old 09-20-2017, 09:19 PM   #15

Glade it worked out, thanks for letting us know. I agree nothing more irritating than an OP leaving folks hanging as to the out come of a issue.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136