Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-21-2017, 02:36 PM   #1

Question Sage leather designs

Just a question to anyone that has purchased the sage custom saddlebags leather chaps for the saddlebag. I purchased a set and find that they stretch over the plastic knobs on the underside of the bags and when stretched they look really good. My problem is when I tried to put them on the bike that the bolt holes that attach and secure the bags to the bike are too high and the bolt up won't work. Only thing I can think of to would be to remove the rubber inserts that cushion the bike bottom to the steel rail and I am not sure if that is the way to go as the rubber seems to cushion the bags from rubbing on the steel brackets. Anyone else experience this problem and if so what was your solution. Also thought about removing the pieces of plastic sewn in to the chaps themselves that fit over the bottom of the saddlebags knob but think if I did that they would stretch out of shape. Any and all opinions would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Slot the holes that don't line up with a round file ?

Old 09-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #3

I went out to the shop and had a look at a spare rubber insert I have . There is a fair amount of rubber exposed at the top . I'm thinking you could run the top portion over a belt sander to thin them out a bit then the bag should sit lower and the bolts might line up again .

Remove the insert and hold the belt sander up side down on your table then gently place the top of the rubber insert on the belt and gently press it down until 50% is removed .

who knows , it just might work .

Old 09-23-2017, 01:45 AM   #4

Thanks to redjay and ridefree for their replies. I think that filing would work fine but I don't really like the idea of elongating the holes if there is a less invasive way to make them fit. The holes are out 3/8 of an inch and I wonder if it would make them open to leaking. I think I will try sanding down the rubber inserts first and go from there. If that doesn't work then I guess I will file them out because I really like the chaps and would like to use them.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #5

I have the same sage brush chaps on my vaquero. when I reinsatall the bags all I do is put my hand inside the bag directly on top of the spot where the rubber mount is under the bag and push down hard using my weight to compress the rubber mount a bit. the bolt will line up. screw in bolt by hand half way then do the same for the other bolt. if you have a helper have them push down on top of the bag close to the fender so you dont crack the top of the bag.
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-23-2017, 03:30 PM   #6

Thanks Rozie. I will try this method

Old 10-18-2017, 02:52 PM   #7

Hey Rosie. Tried your method but man is it tight, however it did work. Thanks . I also tried taking the rubber insert out and putting in a smaller piece of rubber around the knob kind of like a washer. It worked as well. Thanks to all that replied

Old 10-18-2017, 04:03 PM   #8

Im glad it worked out for you. I only remove my bags once at the end of each year before storing for winter and that hopfully wont happen for a while yet!!!!
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256