Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-22-2017, 07:21 PM   #1

Time for Darkside (F/R)

I don't want a lecture on the subject. I've had DS before, so please don't waste your breath.

I am ready to replace the rear tire on my '12 Nomad for the 4th time in 2 years. I have 32000 miles in the same time frame.

Here is my request: I am looking for tire sizes. I have seen two sizes talked about for the Nomad; 205/60r16 and 195/60r16. What size is recommended and why? I would like to even drop the rear of the bike a bit, so I was considering 205/55r16 as it is about .25" shorter than the stock 170/70/16.

I know how the tire handles, so I am confident that I will be fine there, but I don't want to lose any lean angle as I drag the floorboards and exhaust frequently.

Alright - I have made a bunch of random statements. What size would you recommend? If I remember the DS from my last bike, I lifted a bit when turning, essentially gaining a bit of clearance. Am I crazy or does that happen?

Thanks for any help!
||VBA #03091||

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-22-2017, 07:23 PM   #2

Oh - what tire do you recommend for the front DS? I have heard awful things about the wet traction for the Michelin Commander II, so I am not interested in that. Size and brand recommendations please.
||VBA #03091||

Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayes View Post
Oh - what tire do you recommend for the front DS? I have heard awful things about the wet traction for the Michelin Commander II, so I am not interested in that. Size and brand recommendations please.
Whoa, the Commander 2s can be slick on wet. But not so bad it's a deal breaker. I liked how Dunlops stuck, but I too tired of replacing tires 2x per year. My Commanders now have 10000 front, 5000 rear & will go another 5 at least ring aggressive. Gotta be cautious in rain straight n level as center rubber is hard. Stock size with Commanders gives a lower, wider rear. Just my 2c worth. I had no traction problem with Commanders all winter, down to 19 degrees highway, but when wet at 70.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 05-22-2017, 11:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrbucks222 View Post
Whoa, the Commander 2s can be slick on wet. But not so bad it's a deal breaker. I liked how Dunlops stuck, but I too tired of replacing tires 2x per year. My Commanders now have 10000 front, 5000 rear & will go another 5 at least ring aggressive. Gotta be cautious in rain straight n level as center rubber is hard. Stock size with Commanders gives a lower, wider rear. Just my 2c worth. I had no traction problem with Commanders all winter, down to 19 degrees highway, but when wet at 70.

I ride in the rain way too much to be concerned about the wet weather traction. I've been happy with the Dunlop traction, just not the wear. Though the front lasted about 15k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
||VBA #03091||

Old 05-23-2017, 01:28 AM   #5

Installed a Yokohama Avid Envigor Tuesday in a 205/60/16. Will be following this because will need a front tire in a couple months and am considering double darkside myself.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2017, 04:32 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick6375 View Post
Installed a Yokohama Avid Envigor Tuesday in a 205/60/16. Will be following this because will need a front tire in a couple months and am considering double darkside myself.
Soo what D/S tire you planning to install on the front?

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

wet traction

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrbucks222 View Post

I just had a commander ll put on the front last week and have the same on the rear since last year. so far so good but have not been caught in the rain yet. you say center rubber is hard, so would it help to lower the air pressure a bit to help with wet traction? meaning lower air would allow more tread contact with the road? Im currantly running 42 psi front and 40 psi rear.
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 05-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #8

That's same pressures i run, tho front would ride better with less. My gripe was longevity, so I'm not dropping pressure. I've simply noticed some front slip on few hiway wet lane changes I've never had before, and have spun the rear a few times, once goosing it out of a deck, last week gunning it on a hiway onramp. Never an issue with Dunlops, but these Commanders have already doubled the miles.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:33 PM   #9

Also, I primarily brake wth the front, coast to stops instead of downshifting. Saves clutch and rear tire (and gas). Seems this is equalizing wear so my michelin front & rear will be ready for replacing toghether. Just g as me I play riding daily.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #10

how bad was the slip on wet pavement? now Im wondering if I should have gone with the metsler 888 instead? I had them on my vstar and never slipped at all. I think im going to air down the front to 38 psi and see how that feels. 42 psi does feel a bit hard.
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Old 05-23-2017, 03:07 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Soo what D/S tire you planning to install on the front?
You know that, when you double darkside, you put a rear MOTORCYCLE tire on the front, right? Not trying to be an a**, just making sure you know. I'd hate to see a bike with a car tire on the front.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 05-23-2017, 06:27 PM   #12

okay, based on the tire size calculator; a 205/55r16 is .49" smaller than the factory 170/70r16. I don't know how I jacked that math up the first time...

The 195/60r16 is .19" smaller than factory.

Has anyone used a 205/55r16? The 60 series seems to be more common, but I don't want to raise the rear of the bike any. I adjusted my air shocks quite a bit, and gained some clearance. Thank means I believe I can afford the 1/2" lost by the tire.

Is there any reason that the 55 series won't work?
||VBA #03091||

Old 05-24-2017, 05:12 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
You know that, when you double darkside, you put a rear MOTORCYCLE tire on the front, right? Not trying to be an a**, just making sure you know. I'd hate to see a bike with a car tire on the front.
No, I didn't know that.

I learn something every day.

There was a skoot for sale on Craigslist that had a sidecar. In the pictures you could see a car tire on the front. I think it was a Nomad. Anyways, when I spoke to the owner about what he was running, I found this tire was to wide for my Vaquero in the front.

The Yokohama I have on the rear is wearing like iron, over 16,000 miles and I can't detect any wear. It improved the ride and my fuel milage went up a tad.

I am running 51 psi, as that is what the tire is rated for, and it is a softer ride than the OEM M/C tire. And it is rated for 1356 pounds capacity.

I was thinking if the rear tire improved my ride, what would it do for the front?

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 05-24-2017, 07:49 AM   #14
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post

There was a skoot for sale on Craigslist that had a sidecar. In the pictures you could see a car tire on the front.
Where to start? :) If you have a hack, the bike won't lean. Car tire on the front won't matter.

Dark side = car tire on the rear of the bike.

Double dark side = car tire on the rear of the bike and a REAR motorcycle tire on the front of the bike BUT TURNED TO FACE THE OTHER DIRECTION. (Bike tires are directional. Have the shop mount the rear tire (now on the front) so that it's backwards of the direction it's normally meant to be.)

All this is for 2 wheels only. If you've added a hack (side car), you can run anything you want since the bike won't lean. If you have a Harley, it doesn't matter what tires you have. You'll break down before the 1st curve anyway. (Just kidding, my HD friends!)
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 05-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Yes, I know that. Not confident in Commander rear tire due the 2 I had on the rear both cupped about 14k miles with plenty of tread life left. Was thinking Shinko since my front tire has about 15k miles on it, but the rear tire was done at less than 1/2 that.

Last edited by rick6375; 05-24-2017 at 12:15 PM.