Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > SouthWest Group

Old 11-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
I have noticed and I don't think it bodes well for the long term future of the
VBA.at least not as we knew it.most likely will turn into just another online
forum.
It pretty much already has, if attendance at the last National Rally is any indication.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #32
Mega-Contributor

I'll try to put this into words...

I don't see a huge amount of support from a lot of the members here. Up until a few years ago, this was a Nomad-specific forum. 99% of us all owned and rode Nomads, and we were a fairly tight group. Then the forum was opened up to include the Vaquero and Voyager. That's not a bad thing, but in recent years, the typical member seems to be the guy who buys a 10-15 year old Vulcan, comes here to ask a question or two (what kind of oil, tires, etc) and then leaves.

I realize that not everyone who signs up here wants to hang out at a rally, and that's fine. It just seems like there are fewer members that want anything more from their membership than just a source of free information. As many of the "old guard" (myself included and now even the founder of this group) have moved on to other brands, some have stayed and some have not.

Since those who don't ride Vulcans are prohibited from leadership positions here, it has created a void that needs to be filled. Some of the newer members need to step up to the plate and take a more active role in the organization to keep it from just becoming another lifeless question and answer forum.

I have made many friends here since I joined in 2007, and these friendships go beyond brands of bikes. Heck, we'd still get together if there wasn't a VBA. It would be shame to lose that kind of community here.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post

I don't see a huge amount of support from a lot of the members here. Up until a few years ago, this was a Nomad-specific forum. 99% of us all owned and rode Nomads, and we were a fairly tight group. Then the forum was opened up to include the Vaquero and Voyager. That's not a bad thing, but in recent years, the typical member seems to be the guy who buys a 10-15 year old Vulcan, comes here to ask a question or two (what kind of oil, tires, etc) and then leaves.

I realize that not everyone who signs up here wants to hang out at a rally, and that's fine. It just seems like there are fewer members that want anything more from their membership than just a source of free information. As many of the "old guard" (myself included and now even the founder of this group) have moved on to other brands, some have stayed and some have not.

Since those who don't ride Vulcans are prohibited from leadership positions here, it has created a void that needs to be filled. Some of the newer members need to step up to the plate and take a more active role in the organization to keep it from just becoming another lifeless question and answer forum.

I have made many friends here since I joined in 2007, and these friendships go beyond brands of bikes. Heck, we'd still get together if there wasn't a VBA. It would be shame to lose that kind of community here.
I concur.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-03-2014, 11:46 AM   #34
Sr. Contributor

Quote:

Pretty much.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 11-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Well, it seems that I have been the SW Regional Leader for what seems to be an eternity. I have been involved in a rally each of the last 6 years. I have worked on 2 National Rallies, 2 combined rallies and 2 SW rallies. It has been fun setting up the rallies but it is some work to have a good rally. Right now I just don't seem to have the enthusiasm to look forward to planning the next rally. I always said, "When it's no longer fun setting them up it would be time to step down".

It is time for me to just show up at a rally and enjoy it rather than thinking of all of the plans that need to be accomplished. It has been a pleasure to prepare these rallies for the enjoyment of everyone.
I have been to 3 Rallys' and had a great time at each one. All 3 of the Rallys' were ones that you helped plan out.
Thanks Joel!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #36

Quote:

Yep!
I joined when it was a nomad group also, just so I could go to a rally to look and see what others had done to their bikes and to learn how to ride in a large group.
I thought it would be a one time event for me but It turned out that it was a great bunch of people to hang out and ride with. Who knew?

Old 11-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #37

I realize that planning a rally takes time that most working guys just don't have time to do. If it's just picking a place to go, coming up with a few rides and dinner that's not so bad. Trouble is , you can't please everyone. Seems guys have 1001 excuses on why not to go or if they say yes, then they back out at the last minute. How are you supposed to plan for that ???

I too joined for some bike info, but after some back and forth discussions and a couple rallies I'd like to say I've made a few friends here. Also just made reservations for the third rally next June.

So my opinion is that if you just joined here for some free info on how to fix your bike,.... and be a cheap ass,..... then buy a manual and piss off.....

BTW, Thanks Joel ....

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 11-03-2014, 06:24 PM   #38

Quote:

well said scott and I can't help but wonder where the VBA national leadership
stands on this.even kawi dropped the nomad from their lineup.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 11-03-2014, 08:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by landman View Post
well said scott and I can't help but wonder where the VBA national leadership
stands on this.even kawi dropped the nomad from their lineup.
I've spent probably 5 hours on the phone with Teri and others discussing some VBA future and the Kawasaki's Vulcan line-up. Kawi seems to have forgotten the Vulcan owners these last couple of years. It's really disheartening.

Those of you who are interested in chatting with me about VBA and their thought about it's future, feel free to shoot me an email (jaredmgant@gmail.com).
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 11-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
It all started when I got chased out from moderator. Then Scott. We got together and put a hex on KawaNOW/VBA and slowly stood back and watched the anaconda of justice squeeze the life out of this place.

In all seriousness Kawasaki felt the need to take a step back and rethink it's marketing strategy. So much time and effort to make KawaNOW a well respected Nomad site has been for naught. The name change from KawaNOW to Vulcan Baggers Association was to placate Kawasaki to include more of their lineup and it backfired. Kawasaki left this site behind and didn't support us.

One of the largest target markets for Kawasaki V-Twins and Kawasaki turned a deaf ear to build or consider our suggestions. They got exactly what they deserved. Lots of us are moving to different rides.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #41
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
it all started when i got chased out from moderator. Then scott. We got together and put a hex on kawanow/vba and slowly stood back and watched the anaconda of justice squeeze the life out of this place.

In all seriousness kawasaki felt the need to take a step back and rethink it's marketing strategy. So much time and effort to make kawanow a well respected nomad site has been for naught. The name change from kawanow to vulcan baggers association was to placate kawasaki to include more of their lineup and it backfired. Kawasaki left this site behind and didn't support us.

One of the largest target markets for kawasaki v-twins and kawasaki turned a deaf ear to build or consider our suggestions. They got exactly what they deserved. Lots of us are moving to different rides.
+100
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #42
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I've spent probably 5 hours on the phone with Teri and others discussing some VBA future and the Kawasaki's Vulcan line-up. Kawi seems to have forgotten the Vulcan owners these last couple of years. It's really disheartening.

Those of you who are interested in chatting with me about VBA and their thought about it's future, feel free to shoot me an email (jaredmgant@gmail.com).
I bet Teri would have some interesting insight into it.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 11-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #43

I don't think the issues with the VBA come from a lack of people stepping up to take on leadership positions.
As Scott mentioned many newer members don't seem to have much interest beyond the occasional question.
But just as important is that many of the long time members are seldom on the forum.
Some have changed brands, some haven't. But either way their presence or posts on the forum are a rarity.

What you are riding has never been an issue at South Central rallies.
But no doubt, a big part of the fun at the rallies was seeing all the Nomads in one place.
That is gone and it's not going to return.

The forum and the rallies have been, and will be what the members make it.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 11-03-2014, 11:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
I don't think the issues with the VBA come from a lack of people stepping up to take on leadership positions.
As Scott mentioned many newer members don't seem to have much interest beyond the occasional question.
But just as important is that many of the long time members are seldom on the forum.
Some have changed brands, some haven't. But either way their presence or posts on the forum are a rarity.

But no doubt, a big part of the fun at the rallies was seeing all the Nomads in one place.

My first rally was the National in Custer. I had joined KawaNOW the year before when there were just a few over 400 members. If I remember right, there were over 50 Nomads at the Bavarian Inn. Seeing that many Nomads in one place was both a rarity and a treat. Down here, I'd be lucky to see another one besides mine every couple of months. Riding all the way up to Custer and meeting Trip, Larry, Gene, Brad, Scott, Daryl, and so many others on the way up was a privilege and I will always hold those fond memories very close. I don't post very much but I manage to get on here every few days and can't help but notice how much things have changed. So many, including myself, have changed brands and several aren't here anymore. But it's always good to meet up with the old lifelong friends I've made here. We need to continue meeting while we are still able to throw a leg over and ride.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 11-04-2014, 12:25 AM   #45

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post

Exactly right.
Dave knows that to which he speaks! He's steeped in knowledge of what makes a rally of five bikes with four Nomads a fantastic rally. The last SE rally was one of the best I've been to. Sadly, Coach had to sit it out at the last minute, on top of putting all his boys through collage he had another catastrophe piled on him, and in spite of that, a quiet member stepped out of the ranks with a couple suggestions, and WE HAD A FRIGGEN BLAST! The best times at our rallies is the spontaneous unplanned events happen. The storm in Maggie Valley, Todd cussing out the rock star snot nosed motorcycle stunt kid in Maggie Valley, the cafe in Keystone where Ron, Tammy and I stopped for a cup of soup in a cold rain, seeing about 75 nomads together in Custer. Apple Pie in the parking lot in Estes Park. About 10 of us have pie one evening at a place in Custer. Nightly parking lot pow wows in Antlers.
I LOVE THIS PLACE.
As for the folks that pop in and ask a question or two and disappear, give 'em a break, maybe they're shy or have more going on than we can imagine.
Beside that, we're in some challenging economic times. The money and time we have to take off work is a luxury not a lot of people have. I've never summed the cost of a rally, but it ain't a little bit o' cabbage, and the generous vacation package is one of the shackles my beloved slave driving company has on me.

I don't think this place is going to pot. I enjoy it!

So y'all old goats shush! You bitch likea buncha old women.
Put your big girl panties on.
We need a glass is half empty, bitchin' board on here.

I'm handing out Whitman's Samplers to the next rally.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Last edited by Kawhead; 11-04-2014 at 12:28 AM.