Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 03-22-2017, 05:29 PM   #1

Route planning software and or Apps

My brothers and I are planning a two week trip in June through the north west to the west coast and then back to the mid west. Does anyone know of a good route planning app or Windows based software that you can literally trace your desired route, save it and share it? Something that you could use on a PC and then transfer the maps to an Android device would be ideal. There are plenty of route planners out there but they all want to plan the trip for me and are not intuitive to use and or edit.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2017, 05:39 PM   #2

I'm confused why something as simple as Google Maps wouldn't work for you?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 03-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
I'm confused why something as simple as Google Maps wouldn't work for you?
It does to a point but it's tricky to get it to stick to the route I'm trying to trace and tends to jump around unpredictably. Plus, the further out you go from your start point it stops allowing the addition of way points. I'd like to have something I can follow live on my android phone without the need for a connection, which gets very spotty in the mountains.

Old 03-23-2017, 03:26 AM   #4

HD Ride planner.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 03-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #5

I'm still old fashioned with using a Garmin Zumo 660. I use Garmin Basecamp for routing all my rides and saving them in separate folders. I have a micro chip in the Zumo with over 50 rides loaded all the time. The GPS allows up to 20 trips loaded to its hard drive for quick access.

Basecamp was a little complicated at first but once you understand the program you can do a lot with it very fast and easily. There is a good forum for learning Basecamp that I use to look up questions about the program

http://forums.delphiforums.com/n/mai...gid=2029214251

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #6
Advanced Member

I love this topic!!

For your phone you want Sygic. It lets you download maps for each State so you don't even need a data connection.

Then you make your route in Google Maps. Be sure to put in lots of waypoints/stops to 'force' the route you want. Only the waypoints/stops are going to get transferred to Sygic and then Sygic will create it's own route.

Longer days with tons of turns may need to be broken up into a couple of parts.

Then you copy the Google URL into the program below and it will export it to Sygic and many other GPS apps.

http://www.benichou-software.com/ind...emid=3&lang=en

This system will NOT work on iPhones. Sygic does not allow imported routes on iPhones.

I have been on this system for years for 10's of thousands of miles. Once you get the hang of it, it rocks. I have a good number of fellow rides I roll with using it too.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
I'm still old fashioned with using a Garmin Zumo 660. I use Garmin Basecamp for routing all my rides and saving them in separate folders. I have a micro chip in the Zumo with over 50 rides loaded all the time. The GPS allows up to 20 trips loaded to its hard drive for quick access.

Basecamp was a little complicated at first but once you understand the program you can do a lot with it very fast and easily.

I still use the Garmin Zumo 550 and Mapsource but other than that it does the same as the above post.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-23-2017, 11:58 AM   #8

I'm with JD. I use base camp with a garmin. It doesn't have to be a Zumo model either, just has to be compatible with base camp. I have a nuvi 2599lmthd in a waterproof case.
This way you have a back up(your phone) if something happens. Also you're working off satellite gps so works when your phone doesn't.
I personally have tried to use Goggle maps on my phone its limited and not as user friendly.
One thing on base camp mapping is you want to put in a lot of waypoints, or once you go to use it, your garmin will want to change the route to how you have your preferences set.
With my garmin I have also made routes on it without base camp, and seems to work fine also. Just a little harder to do on a small touch screen.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 03-23-2017, 04:43 PM   #9

there are two that I use, one being in route planner &gps, the other is greatest road motorcycle rider gps navigation route planner