Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-20-2008, 12:32 PM   #46

New Ticking Sound, HELP!!

Let us know what shop has to say about that ticking. :-/
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman
Going to drag her to the shop in the AM, just to make sure. Got the ex-warranty until 09!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-22-2008, 11:45 PM   #47

New Ticking Sound, HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridemslow
Let us know what shop has to say about that ticking. :-/
Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman
Going to drag her to the shop in the AM, just to make sure. Got the ex-warranty until 09!!
my thoughts, i posted on the thread "cam chain tensioners " something that happened to my nomad. at around 60,000 miles what it sounded like a lifter noise started, on one of my long rides it just went away, i attributed that to a recent oil change, i thought the lifter got freed up. a few days ago, labor day weekend, coming from north nevada, the "lifter rattle" started again, i took it to de dealer, the mechanic said "you probably need a new set of lifters" how much? i asked, about 400,00 bucks, so i thought, not bad, then!!! i came across the cam chain thread. took the adjuster cover on the rear jug off, and found out that the tensioners had traveled to their limit, making a nagging lifter like noise, and let me tell you, i wanted to just go trade the bike for a new one, then i started to take things apart, and before you know, i had a home made set of "cam chain tensioner extenders," it added about 3/8 of an inch, so i put everything back together, took the bike for a ride, and 90% of the noise was gone, still a little faint noise, then this sunday i went for a 200 mile ride, and suddenly, the engine became really quiet, my opinion, the ratchet mechanism sometimes locks up and it leaves the chain with some play, thus making the rattle that sounds like a bunch of marbles, "chain slap" this will happen at the last couple of "clicks" of the adjuster, once you add the extenders, it takes a good warm ride to seat the " new and extended" adjusters to push on the chain and snug it up. once that happens, it sounds just like a new bike, the only question that remains, how much more chain stretch wil that allow? i am hopeing for another 40 to 50 thousand miles.

my humble thoughts and findings, i sincerely hope that it helps some one aout there.

Jesus Granados
vulcanero03