Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Textile Jacket Experiences in a Crash?

Wondering for those who wear textile/mesh jackets with the armor, have you every had the chance to test the jacket in a real crash? How do they hold up? Do they protect at all or are they worthless?

dale

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #2

I can't say personally, but one of the guys I know on here went through two crashes wearing both bottom and top mesh armour under his jeans and jacket. He swore by them and figured they saved his butt both times.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-05-2013, 08:19 AM   #3

You will likely need to replace the jacket, as the material usually gets torn up pretty bad. That is, however, the point! YOU DON'T! The material keeps the road rash away, the armor prevents or at least lessens impact damage. Leather of course can take more abuse, but it will still get tears in it. My son-in-law had an unscheduled dismount last year in a very expensive leather jacket. The jacket, while leather, still got tore up pretty bad. He had a few spots where gravel got in through the sleeves and gave him a few abrasions, but nothing significant. Too bad he didn't have some super foot protection, as he shattered his heel into pretty much dust. Rough recovery, but he is back on the road now!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale55 View Post
Wondering for those who wear textile/mesh jackets with the armor, have you every had the chance to test the jacket in a real crash? How do they hold up? Do they protect at all or are they worthless?

dale
Talk to Sin City Stan and his lovely wife Rita. They crashed on their way to the Redwood rally 2 years ago. Pretty much they said the textile jacket saved their hides.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 06-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Talk to Sin City Stan and his lovely wife Rita. They crashed on their way to the Redwood rally 2 years ago. Pretty much they said the textile jacket saved their hides.
It will be 2 years on August 23rd. We ruined two textile jackets. Rita got some road rash on her back because the jacket rolled up. I had a small rash on the back of my shoulder where the jacket wore through as I skidded down the side of the road. But the armor is what saved my shoulder. I had tendons and ligaments in my shoulder tore up but no broken bones. I was thrown about 20' and landed completely on the side of my right shoulder. I know without that armor I would have shattered my shoulder.

While sliding down the road a textile jackets will not hold up nearly as well as a leather jacket but I'm willing to give up some skin to save bones. The day I see a leather jacket with armor and can be opened up to let the air in on a hot day I will buy it. HD had a three piece leather jacket that would work great if they could get armor in it.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
Top Contributor

I've got an armored mesh jacket. The contact patches (shoulders and down the outside of the arms) are 600 weight denier nylon. I think the only thing that would destroy that stuff is a long slide down pavement. The elbows and shoulder armor is CE rated but the back pad is just a soft pad. Not as good as CE armor but better than nothing.

The very best protection is armored leather but unless you live in the far north, it's just too hot. If I had any doubt my mesh (textile) armor wouldn't protect me, I wouldn't wear it. I have a leather jacket (non armored) I've worn on really cold days. I feel safer in my armored mesh.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 06-06-2013, 10:35 AM   #7

In all honesty, in the middle of the summer heat how many of you guys wear ATGATT?
I know it has been 90* here all last week and I rode in my half helmet and my tshirt. I do wear leather boots every single day though, but thats my normal attire. I usually wear at least my fingerless gloves even in the heat also. I know that if go down on the way to or from work, I have very little protection at all.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 06-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
In all honesty, in the middle of the summer heat how many of you guys wear ATGATT?
I know it has been 90* here all last week and I rode in my half helmet and my tshirt. I do wear leather boots every single day though, but thats my normal attire. I usually wear at least my fingerless gloves even in the heat also. I know that if go down on the way to or from work, I have very little protection at all.
Well the honest answer up to now has been I don't wear ATGATT when real hot. The only thing missing is armored or Kevlar pants. I have Kevlar jeans but too hot. So I just bought some armored mesh pants (Tourmaster Venture Air Pant). If they work well then I will be ATGATT in the heat.

Will I gear up for a 2 mile ride to the local bike shop? I hope so.

I was wondering if that motocross armor (back, chest, elbows, etc) under a Tshirt would be better than leather or textile w/armor. Up to now I have favored textile over leather.

I have read about the Bohn Armor but it sounds hot and confining in many reviews.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Last edited by schoeney; 06-06-2013 at 11:48 AM.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:23 PM   #9

Quote:
I ride total ATGATT 90% of the time. I always wear my Tourmaster jacket or my Olympia mesh jacket, Aerostich pants or mesh pants (this is the area that I may not be ATGATT on some rides), boots, gloves and helmet. I'd rather be a little stinky after a ride than go down and lose a bunch of skin. I have plans to get a Aerostich jacket in the future when I can afford the cost. Stich stuff is some, if not, the best made for riding.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 06-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #10

I've got the Bohn Armor CoolAir Mesh. On the days I wore it, I really forgot about it on the ride, and the material breaths pretty well. I screwed up and got one size too big however, so the armor drops to my shins if I walk around much. I'm working on getting the correct size. Plus, I just ordered the Bohn Armor shirt in what they call lime yellow (I call it barf-green), which I will wear under my cut. I am hoping that will give me the air flow I desire. And last, the Frogg Togg's Chilly Dana is fantastic!

Americas Guardians PS MC
President, Tennessee 16-A
VBA #02203
"Blaze" 2017 Vaquero
"Black Magic" 2011 Vaquero, 69k miles, handed
down to my son for hopefully many more miles!

Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM   #11

When the temps get too high for a full jacket, I usually wear a t-shirt and leather vest, and I also wear elbow/forearm guards. It may look slightly goofy, but I am fond of my elbows.

I also wear jeans or firehose pants, with knee/shin armor underneath.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #12

I do wear Atgatt. I have leather pants and jacket for cooler weather and an armoured mesh jacket as well as armoured mesh to wear under my jeans in hot weather or I some times wear armoured ballistic nylon pants. I always wear a Nolan n43 helmet, leather gloves and boots with any of the above combinations.

I decided to always be protected after reading Brittany Morrows story of how she came off a bike wearing a helmet and not much else. It's a real eye opener. She almost died from the road rash. Today she promotes Atgatt through the rock the gear website.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #13

In the winter time, I am very protected...3/4 helmet or FF leather all over and my boots. Summer is just unbearable, even with just a Tshirt and my cut, I burn up sitting in traffic. I havent seen the mesh jackets and I am not sure if I bought it I would wear it especially on club rides. Silly I know... but I will be looking into the Brittany Morrows story Norm. Thank you.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 06-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Not me. I will probably get attacked for this, but if I can't be comfortable when I ride, then what's the point? I always wear trousers, but sometimes I wear Nikes instead of boots. I usually wear a helmet and always wear gloves. I will usually wear long sleeves to minimize exposure to the desert sun.

For you newbies - I crashed my Nomad two years ago and had some nasty road rash on both forearms below the elbows. It was March 15th, it was 80 degrees and I was riding home from work. I had on jeans and a polo shirt. My leather jacket was in my saddlebag (it was chilly when I rode to work that morning). Even after that, I do not wear a jacket 100% of the time and I do have a nice textile jacket with a lot of mesh for warm weather.

If someone wants to dress up like an ordnance disposal technician to ride, that's their decision and that's fine. I choose not to do that. That's my decision.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-07-2013, 01:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Not me. I will probably get attacked for this, but if I can't be comfortable when I ride, then what's the point? I always wear trousers, but sometimes I wear Nikes instead of boots. I usually wear a helmet and always wear gloves. I will usually wear long sleeves to minimize exposure to the desert sun.

For you newbies - I crashed my Nomad two years ago and had some nasty road rash on both forearms below the elbows. It was March 15th, it was 80 degrees and I was riding home from work. I had on jeans and a polo shirt. My leather jacket was in my saddlebag (it was chilly when I rode to work that morning). Even after that, I do not wear a jacket 100% of the time and I do have a nice textile jacket with a lot of mesh for warm weather.

If someone wants to dress up like an ordnance disposal technician to ride, that's their decision and that's fine. I choose not to do that. That's my decision.

+1 I agree with Scott, My excuse is that there is minimal traffic here and the roads I ride I'm lucky to see a car every 4-5 miles. I've had my close calls but if you pay attention to others (cagers) on the road you'll be fine.

Now that I said that I really need to watch out.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395